Gears of War 4 May Update Adds Multi-GPU Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It took them long enough. The Coalition took to Xbox Wire today to detail the contents of the update that will be hitting Gears of War 4 tomorrow, May 2. The May update adds two maps to the game. The...

Gears of War 4 May Update Adds Multi-GPU Support

2. Berke53

Berke53 Active Member

GPU:
    2x ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC
    Good news. I hope more devs follow this example as mGPU optimization in games today is dying. Even if mGPU support follows months after release. It's still better than no mGPU support at all.

3. Sifr

Sifr Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 1080
    Now i can finally buy the game. Was waiting for mGPU support before i buy it. Good news!

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Game is running surprisingly well even on a single GPU. There was no need for you to wait.

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Wow, it was promised for UE4 not too long ago. They really weren't lying.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's really too bad the PC side of the game is not as populated as it should be...Aside from being under Windows store Microsoft is really doing a great job supporting this game on PC.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm pretty sure they allow cross-platform play now. It was just in custom games and co-op before but I thought I read they opened it up to all game modes now.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah it is which is cool don't get me wrong, but I still think that it should have done better just on PC on its own...People are too critical of UAW in this game in my opinion.

XP-200 likes this.
  9. XtraTrstrL

XtraTrstrL Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 / 8GB
    Cross-play is for Social Quickplay, which allows for 2-man squads max, and is in Competitive Warm-Up which allows for 5-man squads, but only has 3 playlists, that gets kinda boring.

A cross-play toggle is coming to X1 players sometime "later this year" which will allow for cross-play in ranked playlists, which is all the other playlists. Whichever X1 players have it ON can play with us PC players. PC players currently can't play ranked, because the population is too low.

@vbetts, I don't believe anyone is too critical of UAW. It's just that NO ONE wants anything to do with the Windows Store, which is looked at as GFWL 2.0. This is the reason Gears has never done well on PC, it was never given a chance. It's always thrown on the horrible Store.

I downloaded 500+ GB at pre-load for this game over the first 3 days when it came out. All because the Windows Store doesn't know how to handle Purchasing/Downloading/Installing/Updating/Ownership Rights of it's applications. So, basically, it can't get the base fundamentals of a digital storefront done right 5 years post-launch.

That is not good. It doesn't help that the games are Borderless Fullscreen Windowed, meaning overlays like Shadowplay don't work without forcing them through Desktop Mode or whatever.

I'm still annoyed I have to be going through the Windows Store for the game, but just love the franchise so much that I did. I actually never got the game installed through the store and on the 3rd day of trying, I finally found a reddit article talking about a fix for other Winstore games. It was a tool called "Fiddler" that simply grabs the URL link for the app package download that the store uses, and you paste the link in any web browser and download the package and use powershell to install it. This is how I got GOW4 installed. How ridiculous is that?

So, nothing was wrong with the package, just the store wanted to keep erroring out and deleting and auto-restarting the download of a 73.33GB package. It makes no sense that the OS maker makes the Windows Store, and can't get the fundamentals down 5 years post-launch. It's completely unacceptable.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    DX12 was supposed to be the mGPU holy grail until devs knew it was not effortless to add mGPU support.

Enthusiast pc gamers (high res & high FPS) and 4K 144hz monitor manufacturers needs mGPU support because some customers would like to play modern AAA games with these monitors at high referesh rates and not only DOTA 2, LoL or Tetris!

:D

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i can max the game at 1080p and get around 90fps, even 4k is not far off 20fps so decent MGPU scaling would enable me to get 1080/30 which on my hardware is pretty much an impossibility with new games.

I'm hoping the work that MS/The Coalition have done is something other developers can use when developing UE4 DX12 games.

As for the store, it's new and like all things new it can be a headache, but it's clearly improving and the update for this game was problem free.
    It was a little slow as think it took around 20mins for the 9-10gb, but it is peak time so i'm not sure who is to blame.

Off to try it now and see how the scaling is.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Scaling is really good, running nicely in SLi for me.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah me too, getting 36fps at 4k and 71fps at 1440p.

1080p is still only around 90fps, but the benchmark rightly lets me know that it's a CPU issue, so will maybe try higher clocks and enable HT.

I have to say, i have yet to play the game as a game but as a benchmark it is one of the best around.
    A brilliant selection of options with a detailed description of what part of your system each thing will stress, performance free post processing stuff to tweak stuff for personal preference and the benchmark doesn't even need a restart when you change graphics options.

The only complaint i would have is that i can't see MGPU as an option, so that would likely need you to shut the game down for testing purposes.

I also noticed that at 4k, with the last update it was showing 4.5gb vram usage but with MGPU enabled it's way under 4gb.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  14. Berke53

Berke53 Active Member

GPU:
    2x ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC
    Exactly.
    I trusted in the capabilities of DX12.. Thats why I invested all my upgrade money in 2 GTX 1080's and an expensive 100hz 3440x1440 21:9 gaming monitor while maintaining my old 4770K. I even read a post about microsoft making it much easier for devs to code for mgpu setups. All a lie apparently.
    Source: https://winbuzzer.com/2016/07/05/microsoft-simplifies-multi-gpu-support-directx-12-developers-xcxwbn/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter (Article is almost a year old mind you)

In almost all DX11 games I can't achieve a locked 100fps because of a CPU render thread bottleneck. Directx12 can solve the problem completly if implemented correctly. (Look at hitman, ROTR,..) However devs don't seem to bother. F*ck it.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    In the GoW benchmark at your native resolution, how CPU bound are you?

the part that says GPU Bound, if it's below 99% means you're CPU bound

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    I got it , less than 5 bucks , but dame 133GB , see you tomorrow , with an update.