AMD Reports First Quarter 2017 Financial Results - Revenue Has Ryzen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. arakisb

arakisb Guest

GPU:
    vega
    my money will be going their way not out of pity but because they have great products at great prices

lack of mobo availability and micro itx boards has been really frustrating and slowing my efforts to give them my money

i so hope they can fully realize this turnaround and kick some butt for all our benefit

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not from AMD, but from board maker...

Have a look on Biostar, ASRock and Galax you'l be able to find suitable mATX, DTX and ITX board

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Outlook +12%. Compared to the bleak quarter a year earlier.
    And thats with full force of Desktop Ryzen +/- R3.

This is slow, and nothing like "RiP Intel". AMD needs Mobile and Server ASAP.
    I guess certification takes longer, else why go Desktop first.
    Seems like AMD managed to minimize PC exposure just when High-end PC is doing better than ever.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Badum Tss, pun ho!

Good news, though. I'm waiting on the 12/16 core for a true upgrade, see what they're like, if not, 17/1800 somethingorother.

6. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 @ 2.1ghz
    They still made no profit...and haven't in years. Only in AMD land can losing $73 million be a success.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    AMD are still paying a massive debt when the acquired ATI and other things.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well the data has like 1 month of R7 and not sure if any R5? Of course it wouldn't be RIP Intel anyway. But pretty good one month.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Eh, they aren't selling to OEM's yet and Ryzen has only been out for half the first quarter. Q2 will be more telling of how it's selling.

I do find it interesting that AMD went through nearly 30% (321M) of it's cash in the first quarter though. Just goes to show you how much just building inventory for these chips cost. Probably a combination of Vega and Ryzen.

10. george1976

george1976 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    The success comes from the increased year on year revenue, no one says the loss is a success but I guess you felt the need to say something.....

11. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    It's half of what they lost the previous year and they bought a company this quarter. They've gained CPU marketshare, and these financials only include 1 month of Ryzen.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As others have stated, there's a lot of debt to pay. But they are relatively doing better than they used to. If Vega turns out to be what people expect and if Ryzen sales keep up, they might finally be in the black and have the money to make something even better.

I hear ya on that one. I was one of the lucky few who managed to buy the Biostar X370GTN before it got sold out within hours of being released in the US. Still waiting for it to arrive. I feel that the lack of ITX (or even DTX) boards have dramatically hindered Ryzen's success. After buying the board, Newegg's statistics said 74% of people who looked at the board bought it; keep in mind there are those who wanted to buy it but couldn't due to it running out of stock. Meanwhile, most other Ryzen boards sit around a 1-5% purchase rate.

People keep saying "it's just a niche market" but it really isn't - people are realizing there isn't much of a need for anything bigger. Discrete sound cards, RAID, and optical drives aren't really necessary anymore. If you need wifi, there are M.2 options for that. Liquid cooling doesn't really offer more performance than air cooling. Multi-GPU has never really improved enough to be worth considering. Since DDR4 supports up to 128GB per module, you don't need many sticks. USB 3.1 type C removes the need for having a dozen USB ports. So all you're left with is a pretty basic motherboard, 1 or 2 sticks of RAM, a GPU, an SSD, and maybe a wifi NIC. ITX can take care of that just fine. I would argue full ATX is accelerating head-first toward being niche (definitely not micro ATX though).

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That is Q2 outlook (+12% YoY)

Q2 outlook guys... outlook!
    ie AMDs own prediction/guidance of the next quarter.
    Screw quarterly, thats already accounted for and is in the past,
    guidance is what matters -, ie future, trend etc..

They are guiding +12% YoY. That is with full R7/R5 availability and with some R3 (a month?) in that quarter.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The results were in-line with earnings expectations, but not what investors were hoping for. The forecast was also quite low for a new chip/platform, and suggests a slow and gradual growth rather than a rapid surge to profitability.

Stock is down 20% at the moment - looks like the hype bubble has popped and it's being brought back down to reality.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And now the guidance is accounted for too, perhaps with a pinch of panic?

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    These results don't include any realistic amount of Ryzen sales btw.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It must include a substantial amount of Ryzen sales though (at least the 1700-1800X sales), because where else is this boost in revenue coming from? AMD's GPU division hasn't released anything worth noting in Q1. I highly doubt any of the new Jaguar revisions for the consoles have much to do with this.

A little bit discouraging to see the stocks plummeting, and I don't really understand it either. AMD is roughly where they wanted to be and claimed they would be. I'm sure they'd have done a little better if the launch date wasn't so rough but I feel like many of the investors are making mistakes selling now. Today's results should not have been a surprise, so if this is a knee-jerk reaction to that, to me it seems like they didn't know what they were doing.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^...Ryzen needs a full Quarter before being judged...I think it will do good given time.

19. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    With just a month for the quarter to end and the problems with memory speed and overclock, just early adopters chose to get Ryzen. Also, these numbers include just R7 and at that price point not many gamers bought it but instead content creators. Now with R5 out we will see how good (or not) Ryzen did for AMD.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD´s fortunes are only going to change when they release the products that really matter: APUs (desktop/mobile) and server CPUs.

The Ryzen parts released so far are meant for marketing purposes, showing how good Ryzen is, and for the enthusiast/high end markets, that are tiny. AMD can´t make significant money selling the chips they have released so far...

So nothing to see here.