Wattage!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Ridiric, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Hey guys, bit of a weird question, trying to find out what the total power draw of a system running a 7700K, GTX 1080Ti, 2x 8GB 3000mhz 1.35v RAM, 2 SSD, 2 HDD, high end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15S and a iTX motherboard (though i imagine an ATX motherboard wouldn't be much higher then an iTX).

Now the thing is i have been able to work out what all this would be at stock settings, it would be around 380W at absolute max (basically thrashing it with multiple synthetic benchmarks to stress both CPU and GPU)

What i was looking for, was actual gaming power draw with the same type of system with the CPU overclocked to around 4.8Ghz and the graphics card up in the 1900Mhz to 2000Mhz range, as i know gaming power draw tends to be lower then then synthetic tests show as maximum power draw, and the overclocks themselves throw my other power measurements out the window.

If any of you would be able to let me know that would be great, as i am seeing if it would be possible to keep a 1000W or 1200W corsair power supply in the 0RPM fan mode with this type of system while gaming, as the 1000W corsair power supply can supply up to 400W in silent mode and the 1200W up to 480W

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    buy watt meter easiest way.

4. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Problem with that, is its about 65W higher (when not overclocked) on its "maximum load at 90% TDP" then the known maximum watt at 100% (or as close as you can get) i already have for this system (when not overclocked).

And yes, i already own a watt meter, i don't however own the hardware i have listed yet, the whole reason why i am asking this, as i want to know BEFORE i buy so i can know if a 1000W or 1200W PSU will stay at its 0RPM mode for its fan while my new system is at 100% load while overclocked (as i have stated i already have reliable info on the system power draw while NOT overclocked its the overclocked power draw I am having issues finding info for).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Use watt meter on your own PC?

7700k much more power efficient than 920 so you already have the tools to figure a close estimate.

7700k will use less power at 5ghz than your 920 at 4ghz.
    1080Ti same as 780(250w)

OC vs OC same as well

6. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    i have a 970 (6 core) not a 920 (4 core)
    Also considering my current power supply is over 7 years old at this point, it has probably degraded quite a bit (it also is only bronze rated, the new PSU would be gold or platinum) so i do not have a lot of faith that i could get any meaningful results from comparing my systems power draw to the new system, which last time i checked it when i first got my GTX 780, was around 620W from the wall (though that did include the monitor, keyboard and mouse as well)

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You just answered your own question.

Your current system is a worst case scenario. 620 watts at the wall.
    Which taking into account of efficiency loss is more around 500watts.

So yes, those are meaningful results.

8. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    i have an overclocked 6 core i7 970, in no way does it compare to an i7 7700k, i also have an X58 motherboard which draw waaaaay more power then any comparable current motherboard, basically everything in my system is super power hungry compared to the system I am wanting to compare it to, i cant remember exactly what the wattage usage was with it not overclocked and i cant re test it now as my 780 is broken (it died about 2 weeks ago now), but i think it was around the 520ish mark, that is 140W higher then the known max wattage of the system I am trying to figure the overclocked wattage usage for when its not overclocked.

When I'm needing precise measurements as the wattage requirements to do what I am wanting to do are going to be very close, comparing to a system that is massively different in power usage to the system i am going to be getting isn't helpful.

Basically as it stands i KNOW when the new system is not overclocked it will run with the PSU in silent mode using a 1000W corsair PSU, as that can provide up to 400W without switching the fan on and the maximum wattage with the system running stock should be around 380W, what i don't know however is how much extra wattage the new system will consume when overclocked under normal gaming usage, the 1200W corsair power supply can do 480W without the fan spinning, that's a 100W difference between the stock maximum power usage, so i need to KNOW if the system i described above will use 480W or less when overclocked and playing games, if it does, I'm good, if it doesn't then i wont bother with this whole idea and ill just stick to getting an 850W PSU instead.

So no i didn't answer my own question.

Last edited: May 1, 2017