Review: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We check out the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 8G, and heck yeah this is not your regular one. Meet the all custom, cooled and tweaked EVGA "For-The-Win2" Edition. This SKU is a more prem...

Review: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hmm when did evga stop boycotting guru3d? rarely see evga reviews last few years

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    A question here:
    Why every Guru3d GTX1080 review I see BF1 DX12 1080p FPS average is 145-148fps.
    In my PC in BF1 my average is always 121-127fps (min 100 and 144fps capped max) DX12 1080p Ultra preset (CPU usage 50% to 75% max and GPU is always 95%-99%). That's multiplayer 64 player conquest servers with ping of 10ms.

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    nice review HH, I hope the product innard page would be mandatory for all upcoming gpu review. It helps alot in making decisions in order to buy gpus or not.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You basically answered your own question. You're on a 64 player Multi-player where I test in single player. Also I am on 8-cores + quad-channel memory and you on 4 + dual-channel, I assume with MP that does matter. Last but not least, FPS isn't a constant throughout the game. The actual scene can differ in scenery and thus FPS.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I'm still playing with that thought whether or not it is worth the hassle as yes, I did manage to kill a 1080 Ti recently.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We're progressing and trying to move forward from the differences we had. At one point you need to move on.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    How did that happen?

When you break a review sample do you have to return the broken sample or do you pay out of pocket the value of it?

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that would be great I would love to see alot more evga reviews, seeing ever gpu I bought since series 6 have been evga

I would like to know what you did to it!

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    oh dear...I think I just shed a tear........:D

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah that's why I disassemble them AFTER I finished testing them :) One of the cards had really sticky gluey thermal-pads in-between the heatsink block and vrm/memory etc. I had to use a bit of force to wiggle it loose. At first I figured nothing went wrong, but it likely got a micro-fracture.

That moment when you power up the PC and the screen stays black. Priceless :)

The AIB was cool about it though, no worries.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^

I remember that happen few of gpu my BFG cards come to mind

13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Hilbert u could try baking the card if u really have to that sometimes fixes micro cracks.

14. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I fully understand the fact that fps is different depending where you are in game and also on what is going on at the moment like explosions, heavy smoke, too many players around, vehicles (kind of...duh!!!) but I also pointed out that even with my (fast) quad core CPU (not 8+) and dual memory channels(not quad) I am still GPU bound (proof is GPU usage of 95%-99%).
    But I get the point. You simply test at single player. There is no way around that (multiplayer is difficult to bench), but at the same time it throws the validity and reliability of the test away. Most BF players have got the game for multiplayer mode.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017