European Court Rules Against Piracy Enabled Media Players

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    So, I guess, pirates will just sell clean boxes and provide smart manuals describing how to configure everything (or even 1-click installators).

3. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    LOL, exactly! Stupid obedient EU organizations, taking money straight from MPAA never learned, you can't stop, what can't be stopped. Not with force at least.

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Good move now you just increased the profit margin for the pirates. That will teach them!

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What an utterly stupid idea. This will not stop piracy; all it does it make things difficult for people to make their own content.

Media producers really seem to lose touch when it comes to pirates. They have no clue that their proposed DRMs, rules, regulations, mediums, and devices do nothing but inconvenience honest buyers, and they don't realize that the pirates were never going to buy their product in the first place.

I've always found this to be relevant:
    http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg

6. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I'm glad.

No more reading about "Full Loaded" Kodi boxes, giving the media player a bad name, and having to read about morons complaining Kodi is "crap" as it's always crashing when they try to watch their shoddy live iptv apps

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea, I've had my share of people whining that KODI is crap because all the streams keep buffering or don't work, they don't seem to be able to grasp that KODI is just a media player with the ability to add streams, if they buffer or don't work that's nothing to do with KODI, but no, KODI is the problem and they refuse to use it because of that

8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I cannot believe how many people here support piracy. This may not stop piracy. But there is absolutely no reason to let it continue and condone piracy.

They really need to start cracking down on illegal downloads and string up the people doing it.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I see nobody here who is condoning piracy. Instead, people here (like myself) either find these attempts of stopping it to be pathetic or a burden to honest buyers. Policies like this will not help anyone - it'll just appease a few CEOs with a false peace of mind. It is no more effective than trying to protect your home from burglars via a locked screen door.

"Cracking down" on illegal downloads isn't that easy. Stopping the downloader would often be an illegal act in of itself, since the only way to actually do that is to:
    * Censor their network activity (which infringes upon the rights of many countries)
    * Confiscate their hardware (which would require a warrant - a process that would be too slow to pursue)
    * Arrest the downloader (which involves a breach of privacy).
    So you could argue "ok then, let's just stop the problem from the source - the uploader" but usually the uploader is located in a country that doesn't give a crap about the laws of others. That drastically limits the possibility of stopping the average pirate.

The way I see it, this is no different than growing crops. There's a certain percentage of your crops that wildlife/pests will consume, and there's a certain amount that will be too defective to sell. Farmers can address these problems using pesticides or special fertilizers, but often that results in the food tasting worse, being slightly toxic, or hurting things that help the plants grow (such as bees). In an economic sense, the only major differences between a farmer and a media producer are the media can be reproduced indefinitely, and, media is not essential to live.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What if, instead of wildlife, it was your neighbors stealing 5% of your crops?
    So lets stick with the context humans stealing not dumb animals foraging for food.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly that doesn't really change my point... It isn't unheard of for people to steal from farmers either. But even then, where are you getting 5% from?

Anyway complaining about using animals is needlessly nitpicky and does not detract from my analogy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    your analogy doesn't work HeavyHemi.

"piracy" in the software world, doesn't remove content from an owner, it just takes a small amount of money away from their already obscene profits.

The industry is spending more money on chasing people that never would have bought their product anyway instead of accepting that the people who did buy it is their real source of revenue.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  14. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This is very dangerous shift in legal view.

At this point, end user is not sued/fined/imprisoned for clicking some link to vodlocker (or similar) and watching movie stream online, since he is not redistributing this content.

This player does looking for link part for you, and in same way is not sharing this content to 3rd party.

In other words "preconfigured kodi player" = "human" from perspective of action taken to view some movie online from non-original source.

At this moment they ruled that it is device maker, who is breaching law(s).
    Next step will be ownership of such box.
    And then doing what you did till now (online streaming through some website) will be subject of sentencing because some banned streaming box does the same.

This is shift in direction where general population will be subject of extortion.

17. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    the EU is just as corrupt as the invidivual states it polices.

18. KazeGG

KazeGG Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    There is already widespread pursuit of banning certain kind of torrent websites which facilitate the distribution of copyright content. It does make sense from a legal standpoint that the act of selling a box which is configured to pull from illegal streams breaches the same laws as those websites.

Simple trick would be to sell the box with base software only and make addons freely shared by users (see couchpotato and others).

Copyright orgs will keep trying but in the end as long as content is too expensive or bundled with other crap, users will keep finding ways to share digital content. It's not the same as stealing, it's more like making a xerox copy of a copy of a book but the book author can't practically sue xerox or everyone who makes copies of copies.

See Netflix or Spotify which offer a good value for money. That is the only way to appeal to (torrent) users is to lower prices and make it easier than torrent. Not enforcing big monthly subs with yearly contracts and adverts (see cable tv)