16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I would recommend using the catalyst repack or the 17.1.1 both of those are more functional. Vce should work, If it doesn't work with either of those packs, i cannot help you as i have no way of testing apu configurations.

Not possible, The vulkan and dx 12 apis are incompatible with the hardware
    glsl 4.5 would be possible but amd would have to do that. Opengl 4.5 may one day be available on linux however, since amd still has a couple guys working on the opensource non gcn drivers.

Also don't mistake these packages for actual driver modfications, all I have done is repackaged a newer driver version that is available on windows update with some config tweaks for convenience sake, Think of the packs as a "Best of" compliation.

A minor issue, I don't think its worth the effort to figure out how to fix that, though I suspect it is the ADL library.

You always use CRU to add those resolutions if you really need them.

2. Suici Doga

Suici Doga Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7640G
    According to this Khronos document Vulkan should be able to be implemented on pre-gcn since it supports both ES 3.1 and GL 4.5 (though not GLSL 4.50) atleast on my GPU (which is 7640G contains both GCN and pre-GCN components).

This would require a complete implementation of Vulkan though which might be possible with open-source Linux MESA.

I dont really need DX12 since I never really liked DX anyways (since it is proprietary and only supported on Windows , many games don't use it anyways because then they can't make a Linux / Mac version while Vulkan can)

https:[SLASH][SLASH][www].khronos.[org]/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/vulkan-overview.pdf

sry cant put proper links because im a newbie on the forum

3. Suici Doga

Suici Doga Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7640G
    Does the 17.1.1 driver support OpenCL ? And also my laptop is not dual graphics only discrete-class 7640G which is similar to a single GPU

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    The Catalyst version has OpenCL.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its not dual graphics but it is signifigantly different than the typical Non-gcn card. For instance , there is no non-gcn gpu that has vce other than the ones in apus.

I will update the main post to make that more clear.

The 17.1.1 does not have opencl , It is functionally identical to the offical 16.2.1 driver .

The catalyst version has the least issues(has opencl and dxva working), hence why its the reccomended one.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Intel's Linux driver team talked about supporting a subset of Vulkan even for Sandy Bridge (DX10.1 on Windows) but the lack of compute shaders made it not worth it. Ivy Bridge (DX11 on Windows) has Vulkan support on Linux though.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Heres the catch, vulkan also requires the gpu to be able to support Virtual memory pools, which non-gcn is not capable of natively, is it possible to work around? maybe, but there would be a performance penalty,and at best it would perform around the same or a little worse. The number of people that will use non-gcn graphics will continue to decline, it would not be worth the effort since you can buy an rx 460 for 100$ that will outperform any vliw card most of the time.

That being said feel free to try writing your own vulkan driver for vliw4/5 gpus for linux if you think it worthy of doing, im sure that if it works well enough it will be accepted , Same goes for writing ogl 4.5 extentions which is mostly already done on linux.

8. Suici Doga

Suici Doga Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7640G
    Drivers broke when updating to Creators Update

I installed the creators update on my laptop (with these drivers) and it could no longer boot. It would either not login or display a graphically glitched BSOD. I fixed it by setting my GPU to use the Microsoft driver (sloooow 3d perf) in device manager from safe mode.

Is it safe to try to install these drivers again on creators update ?

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    No idea, however the worst that would probably happen is having to boot into safe mode and remove them and reinstall the old ones again.

10. mthmayer

mthmayer Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 470 4GB
    For those having issues with playing media content on Microsoft Edge specifically.

Type about:flags in your address bar and under ''Media Source Extensions'' you may set ''Enable VP9 Format'' to ''Always Off'' in the drop down menu.

Also you may try to check ''Enable experimental H.264/AVC support'' under ''WebRTC'' but I didn't try. It may or may not fix other issues.

Best regards, Mayer. :)

Edit: Nevermind, driver had reverted back to the Windows Update one as i was attempting this fix. I've used the ''Show or Hide update troubleshooter'' to solve the roll back.

Edit: The update 5 (Crimson 17.1.1 NOCL) seems to be working fine, no problems on YouTube or any other Platform. However still very laggy on anything other than Edge. (But that's probably due to low end hardware)

As for the Catalyst driver the symptoms on Edge are as follow: YouTube videos buffer properly, I can skip through the video and i can see the current still frame, however no way to get the videos to actually play, no audio, black image. Videos on other browser are the same with both drivers, they work but are slow.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

11. Suici Doga

Suici Doga Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7640G
    How can I get OpenCL on 17.1

How can I get OpenCL on the 17.1 drivers.Do i have to copy a dll or something

12. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    It should be already working? Avoid links in the OP, they are pretty outdated.

Also, perhaps it should be better to talk in terms of "last repack" or "08/04 repack". Try this.
    W7 backport of W10 driver should have no problems with the latter then.

EDIT: lack of virtual memory isn't a hard blocker for vulkan, but it's certainly a huge deal

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    The pack with the 17.1 radeon settings does not include opencl because the older dlls break the video tab and dxva in many browsers. It is Functionally identical to the offical non-gcn 16.2.1 beta which also does not include opencl

If you want opencl and better dxva support use the 16.101 + catalyst version which includes the older dlls and is the recommended version since it offers the most complete functionality and has the least issues

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Quick update about testing/comparing of drivers:

AMD Legacy Cards Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001

and

Modded 16.101.2901.1003 from first post of this thread made by user1: 16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1

....on PC of my daughter with PowerColor Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 OCed to gpu/mem=925/5200 running Win7 Ultimate SP1 64bit...etc.

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 results:

AMD Legacy Cards Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001
    [​IMG]

16.101.2901.1003 (16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1)
    [​IMG]

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 results:

[​IMG]

16.101.2901.1003 (16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1)
    [​IMG]

As you see results drivers 16.101.2901.1003 (16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1) are producing are on a par with AMD Legacy Cards Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001 which we found so far to be most stable OC wise and performanse wise on above OCed Radeon HD 5770. Min FPS is a tad bit lower in Heaven 4.0, also max FPS is a tad bit lower in Valley 1.0 but all that is within margin of error. Just did one round of testing each test, so consider this modded drivers on par with official Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001.

Haven't yet tested these 16.101.2901.1003 (16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1) with most problematic game on that rig: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, everything past AMD Legacy Cards Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001 was shuttering mess on that game including latest AMD official for non-GCN cards: Crimson Edition Non-WHQL 16.2.1 v.15.301.1901.0 for Non GCN. Even 925/5200 OC was not stable (combo MSI AB 4.3.0 + RTSS 6.6.0) with everything past AMD Legacy Cards Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Driver 15.12 v.15.300.1025.1001.

At the end of the weekend daughter is going to do some gaming test playing Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, Rocket League, Sims 3 & 4, Minecraft and lots of other games she has, gonna came back here with report in about a week from now.

All I can say for now is: good job user1!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. vinyl

vinyl Active Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 8GB
    I've been so wrapped up but back. Yes since there's no warning dialog I should of assumed a workaround/local dll was the deal. Not saying now, but when I do have a chance I will try the spoof and report back. Unless I'm just (1.5 wks?) late and someone tried already.

16. Suici Doga

Suici Doga Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7640G
    Wierd cartoon like glitches in Movies & TV and Google Chrome

When viewing any video in Chrome or Movies & TV I get these wierd cartoon like glitches. Doesn't happen in VLC

[​IMG]

btw , Minecraft runs perfectly at 100+ (without recording)

Also videos recorded with Game DVR look glitchy (with VLC , VLC plays videos perfectly so its a problem with recording). Maybe Game DVR glitching might be a problem with MS and not these drivers.

[​IMG]

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Afaik no one has tried it, i also forgot to mention the DriverVersion string which may need to be changed as well it is located in the 0000 key

18. Biz92k

Biz92k Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD3000 - AMD HD6770
    I'm getting a bit confused in all these versions. May I just ask which one is the best (more stable and performant) driver out here on W10 CU? Even if it's not really up to date is fine, as long as it's the most stable :)

19. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    The one that says "Recommended" in the very first post :)
    16.101.X With Catalyst 15.11.1

However some resolutions appear to be missing and if you're playing CSGO on low resolution (like a lot of people do) then most likely you'll need to add some via CRU (if yours are missing). Personally I use the official 15.11.1 driver because of this bug. Too much hassle for me to tinker with CRU and whatnot.

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    You don't really need to tinker with it, just use the automatic lcd native or lcd standard timing instead of manual when adding a resolution, then make sure to restart.

manual timings are only useful if you are trying to go beyond a monitor's rated capabilities (downscaling or higher refreshrates)

edit: apparently catalyst has custom resolution settings available?, I do not recall it being there when i first tested the pack I did reinstall windows since then. very strange....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017