AMD Radeon RX Vega Still on Track for Q2 release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    :banana: :p

Have you not seen the photos done by nivdia where they take a photo and turn it into a graphics picture... maybe we are just really in the matrix :D

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Plausible

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I was wondering about something like this...

As far as Vega Desktop, last I heard there were going to be four GPUs.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This forum turned into top lol

On topic:

I'm not going to wait for Vega, it's going to be 1080 price point so I can't afford it.

I'm looking for a buyer for my R9 270x and then I'll get a RX570.

5. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    tbh i will be happy if Vega lands somewhere between a 1080 and a 1080ti in terms of performance and power consumption, but at a lower price point than the competition.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Why should Nvidia care about vega? Really? Both Titan XP and 1080ti will be faster than Vega.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It does seem to have issues with drawcall submissions from multiple threads though. Which would make sense, given the internal structure. The scheduler remains the core strength and core weakness of the architecture.

8. Wolmeester

Wolmeester Guest

GPU:
    Waiting for vega
    Please share the leak review performance specs

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I know. I just think it's funny how we've had a 6 month long discussion on this forum with tons of details and insight into the strengths and weakness of both architectures only to have people boil the entire thing down to "Nvidia emulates DX12".

10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Good news that it is still on track. Hopefully the performance is going to justify the wait.

11. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Usually being late is not a good sign. And to be honest I don't believe anything AMD says until I see proof from trustworthy third party as Hilbert. There are also other things to consider like game tech and driver software. That side has certainly not been strong points of AMD either. This being said, I really hope there will be more competition this time around, as NVidia has been able to ask a bit too much money from their products. Not because they are jerks but because they have been too much ahead.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Consider a RX 480 instead ... if you stick with 4GB RX480 you'll get more performance for the same price.
    If you go 8GB RX480 you pay 10-20 more without running into any annoying VRAM limit (yes also games in 1080p and 1440p can have ultra big texture sets)

AND you can OC to 580 levels in both cases, even more safely so if you do a reapplication of thermal compound

actually you may even get a used 480 for 120-150 by now

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I tentatively agree, the last time AMD, or rather, ATi were late with a gpu design, the 2900XT was released and while it wasn't bad... it wasn't good either but it did provide the foundation for the VLIW Terrascale line of hardware that became very successful. The other thing is, remember how much hype that card got? So much, people were calling it the DX10 nVidia killer, that it was late because of how good it was going to be and dribbles of information kept on getting revealed such as it's innovative use of the memory ring bus, the shader clusters and it's incredible parallel design.

This time on the other hand, we've only been given a few facts about Vega.

1. It's name
    2. HBM2
    3. Major change in architecture - either GCN5 or NCU
    4. Tile based rendering
    5. Memory controller able to access other parts of system memory other than it's own
    6. Possibly have ~12Tflops of computational power (~24Tflops in half-precision)
    7. That it's coming 2017 Q2 - possibly revealed at computex
    8. Demonstrations at previous computer events of engineering samples with diagnostic boards rendering a limited number of games (Doom, Battlefield 1, Battlefront) at a minimum of 60fps in 4K

And this is all the information we have, the rest is pure speculation, such as basing performance of Vega, by scaling it against Fiji and applying the efficiencies of polaris.

All we can really do is wait and there isn't really any point speculating because we don't know how good AMDs implementation of those new features will be and wont be found out until tested by reliable and unbiased sources.

14. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Maybe AMD is applying a different marketing strategy this time to prevent over-hyping and as a result of that disappointment.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Already suggested the same thing to him. He is dead set on buying a 8 month old card with a new name.

16. cyborg66

cyborg66 New Member

GPU:
    ati 9800pro 128meg
    Vega to be a dud and nvidia smash them again as alway amd to slow to release anything good

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep. Last time AMD was this late and tight lipped about a GPU release was the HD2900, and we know how that turned out. Last time Nvidia was so late with a card release was Fermi (GTX480), and we know how that turned out (the card to replace your egg skillet).

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So but that Volta should be horrible or something. Indeed Vega was delayed from Q1 to Q2.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Question is if it is due to fine driver tuning or building sufficient volume as they expect shopping spree.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Considering they were using debug PCB's in Q1 neither of these options look to be the truth.