The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Which is why I run with a fixed multiplier ( 40.25 ) on my 1800X.

2. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I can understand that. I have 3 OC profiles saved in BIOS, 4ghz@2933, 3.9ghz@3200 and auto@3200.

Since memory speed seems to be a "beat the platform into submission" case scenario I am going to revisit the 4ghz@3200 configuration again in the near future. I have also found that I am able to lower voltages to core, memory and SOC now that the platform seems to be "burned in" with memory finally running at 3200.

For the most part I am going to stick to auto because my platform is total overkill for my purposes but I love it :)

3. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    It looks like all X processors including the R5s show incorrect temperatures. My 1600x is reading the 20C higher than actual temperature.

4. Kraust

Kraust Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    That is correct. I believe that Gigabyte has implemented an offset to this in their newest BIOSes

5. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Was able to OC my RAM to 3600MHz with CL16. Not bad. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I made an observation which (I hope) could be helpful to CPU oc'ing.

I monitored CPU voltage under load (Cinebench) and if LLC was at Auto the voltage would drop quite a bit.
    By setting LLC to 1 which is the strictest level for my mobo, the voltage stayed at the set value during full load.

I tried running 4 GHz with LLC at Auto and Cinebench crashed after a while with the same voltage.

Also note Ryzen Master doesn't give you the option to set LLC so you need to do it in BIOS.

Sorry if this was obvious :)
    (LLC is not a new thing By any means but don't think I've seen so notable voltage drops with Auto/default settings before with Intel CPUs)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. TheWirelessGod

TheWirelessGod Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX480 8GB GTR
    @Clouseau Which bios version would you say is best right now for the Asus Prime x370-pro ? I ordered mine the other day and just prepping for when I build it. Thank you :)

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Best bios version for me hands down is 0604. If that version does not work for you then 0515. Would not venture prior to 0515. Let us know how it goes. Most of all, enjoy!

EDIT: I just bit the bullet and ordered a different set of Tridentzs; F4-3600C16D-16GTZ. Read several individuals having success running them at 3200 14-14-14-34 @ 1.35v on the Prime. Realize my results may be different and still may not be able to hit 3200 stable but just have that itch needing to try. When the May bios comes out hopefully will be able to run them at 3600, otherwise will try to throw in the 3200 pair and see what goes.

Vega...where are you?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Have managed to get 40.25X with 3200 Hynix stable enough to run Corona Benchmark. I can get cinebench to run at 41X but not Corona, same with 40.50X, Cinebench will run but not Corona. It's safe to say if Corona completes your system is decently stable but not rock solid.

[​IMG]

https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/?cpu-type=ryzen&submit=Search

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I don't understand the problems with double sided RAM on Ryzen.
    As far as I'm aware double sided RAM draws more power from the MB, but at the same time doesn't double sided ram do bank-interleaving ? So shouldn't it perform really good in bandwidth sensitive situations ?

Does anyone know if it's harder to get double sided ram working for BIOS writers or if there is extra steps involved compared to single sided ram ?

EDIT
    I paid a small fortune for my RAM and I'm not prepared to exchange them just yet.

11. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    As you can see in my other posts I am using SK Hynix double sided ram and managed to get it running at full speed 3200 with better then DOCP timings and a decently stable 40.25X overclock.

While my memory was able to do 2933 right away, 3200 was elusive for a while. Then one day I was able to post into 3200 then couldn't. Played with voltage but could not get into windows. Then I put on 0604 and messed around for hours with voltage and ODT finally posting into windows. Thought it was ok but took a disaster crash that sent me back to 0515.

Since going back to 0515 the 3200 memory clock is rock solid and has been for nearly 2 weeks. Getting lots of stress with the benching and cpu overclocking I been working on. Not sure whats going on, maybe I'm just lucky.

Just out of curiosity is your memory a quad channel kit?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Anyone else getting this error in event viewer with the new Ryzen Balanced power option enabled:

Performance power management features on processor 15 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

Every time the rig boots, 16 separate listings of the same error. Thankfully the cpu does not have anymore cores or threads. It's absolutely nuts.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah the same for me, except times 12 ;)

I already noticed when monitoring that even with the new Ryzen power plan there's no performance management, CPU stays at max clock and voltage when manually overclocked.

Idk if the powerplan works with default (non OC) settings. Could be that manual oc'ing overrides all power management at the time.

Hope they add/fix it soon, allowing CPU to downclock and downvolt in desktop and light use is beneficial.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    It's dual channel 2 x 16 GB

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Well, Biostar finally released a new Bios update (over 5 weeks since the last one). This is listed as the new AGEA Bios with whatever that entails. I updated to it two nights ago and long story short, it ruined my motherboard. Below is an excerpt from what I wrote in my Biostar RMA application:

"1. Very unstable, requires clearing the CMOS twice when changing RAM settings in order to reboot on 3 occasions.
    2. Required resetting the PC twice in order to have my screen display anything after the Bios flash screen (just a black, backlight screen where the Welcome to Windows screen should be) on 4 different occasions.
    3. If I try to change any of the new CPU overclocking settings in the Bios they do change the CPU frequency but the Bios no longer detects my Biostar M200 M.2 SSD that came with the motherboard and has Windows on it.... so I can't boot into Windows. --- If I change it back to default settings the Bios sees the M200 SSD again and I can boot into Windows.
    4. The screen flashes black from time to time and has a constant flickering stars blinking in and out.... it looks like it does if you hit your head hard enough to see stars, the flickering is faint and shows up the most on dark areas of the screen. I tested with 2 different screens and had the same effect and both screens are fine when connected to a different PC.
    5. Worst of all, I switched to the backup BIOS (switch on motherboard), and it still does the same thing. So much for a backup factory settings Bios if the bad one destroyed the hardware... If this fried my GPU I am going to be very ticked off.
    "

Prior to this update my only real complaint was that the Bios options were very lacking/limited. It was very stable, ran 4.0 Ghz at just 1.35v, hit 2933 CL14 on the Memory once I bought something off their QVL list. If the backup Bios switch had allowed me to just revert back to where I was 3 days ago I would have just kept it and been content as it was. :p

Next up is an AsRock X370 Fatality Professional Gaming that's supposed to arrive Tuesday. It was either that or the Taichi as far as having the best reviews (by allot) and features I wanted. I'd prefer the cheaper Taichi, but it's out of stock everywhere right now. The Fatality is only going to be about $30 more then the original Biostar and has allot better Bios, QVL list that's 5-6x longer (at least) and ought to OC at least as well if not better.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You could oc with p-states I guess? Well at least on hero 6 it is possible. I am running my cpu @ 4ghz non stop lol.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'll have to look into p-states more, just browsed through the settings quickly but guess it should be possible.

Desktop temperatures are fine though, around 30 C idle. Maybe future BIOS updates and power plans allow for downvolting/downclocking with manual overclocking.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    yeah same I got around 34 celsius on desktop on my 8 core. But future will tell us.

So how have you liked the amd side?

19. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    You can have already your CPU to downvolt on low CPU usage (won't downclock tho), with manual OC and not even needing to customize pstates.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Very nice!

Ironically enough I got a performance boost in ROTTR (which looking at benchmarks took the biggest hit vs. Intel).
    Now I can keep maxed out settings except MSAA to maintain 1080p@75 fps in Geothermal Valley. Needed to drop a few settings down a notch with i5.

Haven't really done extensive testing yet but eg. ROTTR, DXMD run just as good or better than before.
    ROTTR Geothermal Valley btw has between 50 - 70 % usage on all cores on DX12 so no wonder an i5 didn't quite cut it anymore.

Desktop feels snappier and NV CPL became a lot more responsive too, lols! Also program installation times seem to be a lot shorter more often than not.

No issues either, upgrade went surprisingly smoothly actually. Expected to run into kinks here and there but nothing as of yet :)

Oh? How can you do that?

Killer SLI BIOS has only a fixed setting for CPU voltage and after setting it manually it sticks to that (checked with HWInfo).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.