Microsofts April Security Update Blocks Windows update in 7 and 8.1 for new CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found Windows 10 version 1511 to be the best version so far for gaming, I have kb3198586-x64 installed which brings it to build version 10586.679, I've then stripped out as much telemetry as possible, removed cortana, removed a lot of unwanted junk.. and it is working rather nicely... Windows update is of course disabled, it is my machine and I am in control of it.

I am also using Netlimiter so I can see what parts of the os is actually trying to connect to the net... xD

2. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Windows 7 was released in 2009 and now still using cpu driver from 2006 year, and till today we seen all kind intel,amd cpu architecture, and gues what, everything was working with irq, power states and everything, because why it should not, it uses only implemented in os cpu functions, all intel and amd cpu are backward compatible, it means all old code will still run on them, maybe is not efficient, but working, there is no point to disable updates for windows 7 on new procesor, because updates of windows 7 are meant for older procesors and will work well on new one too, if old code would not work then you would not see message forcing you to change os...

Yes new implementation can be better than old, but the fact is old code still can run on new procesor (until microsoft sabotage own os to not run it)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. gregjet

gregjet Guest

Windows 8 and 10 are garbage OS's. Already dumped Win10 from one of my laptops ( originally win8) that I use for travelling because of unstoppable auto update. Runs Ubunto now . End of **** operating system. Wonder if MS is proud of finally making 2 systems in a row that sucked. These 2 are the worst OS's to use since 2000. Congratulations. I have 10 pc's and laptops and they will never run 8 nor 10. If windows releases a usable system again I may reconsider.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree that 8 was pretty terrible due to no start-menu. But Vista was horrible as well being very bloated and slow.

5. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Good ideas never require force.

6. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Netlimiter or firewalls can work only on data what is provided by os, so if os want bypass something you will not know that. And even if you would monitor traffic from second machine, all connections are encrypted and you will not know what it sending.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Ain't that the truth?

True.However, will a Untagle/Pfsense setup can filter the network traffic with fine granularity?I think it is doable, but how many outhere have the time and the knowledge ?

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Netlimiter is a little bit different to the windows firewall, it is not a part of the operating system, if something want's access to the outside world it will show up in Netlimiter even if it's encrypted... while it's true you won't know what it is sending or receiving you will see what is sending and receiving and with Netlimiter you are able to block these connections completely because you can see what component of the os is doing the sending and receiving.

9. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    When i said that netlimiter and firewalls working on data provided by os you must understand how they work, they add own filter to queue of windows basic filtering engine, in simplification: program -> windows [ filtering engine , interface, stack, etc ] -> hardware, windows decide what goes to filtering engine and what not, because windows is not open source you do not know if some things not bypas your netlimiter or firewall (windows or 3rd party)

10. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    That video is just fear-mongering for views. AKA fake news. MS don't give a **** what the individual is doing. It's all about aggregate data from x vendor y area z hobbies etc. It's all so that in a year or 2 you get ads that are relevent to your interests. It's all about the ads.

It's pretty dumb that MS are blocking security updates for any CPU though. However, I'm sure you can just manually download the updates in question instead so w/e.

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its piss.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Readit/Reddplanet, Perfect Tube, Unstream, Grover Podcast, the Mail and Calendar default apps, the Movies & TV default app, Groove Music,all my bank apps, the Windows Subsystem for Linux are just a few examples I can think of without even being on my PC, that I use every day and they are head and shoulders above anything a "traditional" app of the same class offers.
    They don't sell tools any more, unless you're a huge development company. Visual Studio 2017 Community is completely free and it even supports writing code for Linux in C++. It's impressive how many things can live in your head without being real. Have you ever actually tried to code in Windows and you found it restrictive and expensive? You had to buy licenses to do that? Really? :infinity:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

Yes, keep the circlejerk going. Not only they actually have controls, they are the ones that explain them in human-understandable language. with clear controls of what to stop or not. It's amazing how the idiot train was freaking out because the controls were in Windows instead of basically unapproachable.
    As for Microsoft being the center of all evil, they are the only ones with the balls to sue the US government over the privacy of their customers.

Oh noes! That can't be real! Let me go with my non-tracking Android phone in the toilet and start replying right now! :infinity:

(If you want any modicum of privacy, use Linux that you install yourself with a Tor browser over a router that runs Linux that you installed yourself. At least Windows do give options for tracking).

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i am using windows 10 my self and i like em and yes i turned off telemetrety as much as i could ....even i find fine that they do not want to support new hardware on their old operating systems what i find straight up wrong is that they lock you out of windows 7 and 8 just leave it be and do not provide support in case there are problems, the code is writen to run on x86-64 or plain x86 the cpu's are capable of running it so to summarise
    a) drop the support and fixes for old windows : Cool
    b) locking people out of old windows ...while it was working a day earlier : NOT Cool

something else ... aren't the windows 8.1 officially supported till 2018? I think people can call a class action lawsuit over that ... not sure though pretty much people almost forgot windows 8/8.1 exist by now more or less

14. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
  15. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT

Where are they doing this? my windows 7 machines are running fine.

16. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
  17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Microsoft is now claiming that they have some support for CPUs that they even haven't heard of when they were mocking up windows 8 to be windows 10?! Somehow, this does not surprise me.

18. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Windows 8.1 falls under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8, and will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No. They actually are quite clear about what is being sent. It's funny how you completely ignored the important part, that they are the only company with the balls to go against the NSA.

You realize that Steam gathers similar data, right? And that it's not personally identifiable, right?

20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you trust what multibillion dollar company tells you about their data collection? Anyway, that's not even the issue, the issue is, they shouldn't be collecting anything but they do.