AMD's RX 500 Series Specifications, Performance Leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 13, 2017.

1. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Looks like I'm in the same boat.

2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think it is rather ridiculous to continuously attack AMD over a completely coherent marketing decision (which in the end is a rather trivial decision anyway) than defending them over the same.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I will always question/throw shade at anything AMD marketing does. I think (this is my opinion not "fact") AMD marketing is run by monkeys throwing fecal matter at the wall with pictures on it.

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Well I do it for AMD and for NVIDIA.

But while you are known for constantly bashing AMD, I am definitely not bashing any company or leaving condescending remarks on a daily basis about either Intel/AMD/Nvidia.

If I am belonging to a user group that often defends AMD on here, then I proudly belong to that group, because then you belong to a user group that constantly bashes against AMD ... and AMD only.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Shows how much you pay attention. I've questioned many things from both Intel and Nvidia but AMD is so inept at anything GPU related that they get a lot of focus.

The thing that grids me the most is they could have had a 1070/1080 competitor out last year but they put all their faith in Vega (which some people are already trying to curb expectations). If they built a Polaris based GPU in the 225-250W rang it's the spot right between 1070 and 1080. But no that card will never happen.

6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    You sound like having a hard time buying NVIDIA cards while AMD hasn't anything out in the enthusiast segment.

EDIT: And yeah, I know you are one of the more differentiated users in the "I will bash AMD because I can" - group.
    But still there are users who just for their twisted pleasure sh*t on AMD in every subtle and non-subtle way they can. And you are often defending them, instead of for once taking a stance and calling them out for their sh*t as well...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Probably because they're expensive, then again a lot of people want AMD to release a product, just so that nVidia brings their prices down and will buy the nVidia card after.

I agree with Loophole though, it's ridiculous that AMD didn't bring out a higher CU count polaris chip just to tide over til Vega, but I'm guessing there are supposed to be various Vega cards to be released (I reckon there will be upto 4 iterations of Vega) though this is speculative and we don't know what the situation is behind the scenes such as maybe AMD couldn't fab larger polaris chips as the fabs had been dedicated to verga production etc.

8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hehe, my remark was sarcastic ;)

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Because it's not even remotely the current competition? i mean...the successor to the 10-series GPUs are due to be released in less then 5 months....

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's the most popular previous generation card, a card plenty of people will be looking to upgrade from. There will be a ton of comparisons to current generation cards when the NDA drops. Nvidia/AMD both release review guidelines that show current card performance in relation to previous generations. So I'm not even sure why people are making such a big deal out of it.

Also Volta probably isn't coming out this year (both Xavier and Titan Super Computers were pushed to 2018). Consumer parts probably won't be out till Q1/Q2 2018.

11. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    So AMD is targeting 970 owners to upgrade to rx580. but who in their right minds upgrade from a 970 to 580 when performance is not that much different between them, specially when you consider most 970s can be overclocked beyond the level of 580 with just a few clicks.

12. Randomhero

Randomhero Guest

GPU:
    Fury 4 Gb
    This has just gotten too crazy to not chime in. Seriously can you honestly not see how silly the side grade argument is? They are obviously trying to take advantage of low information gamers with that slide. To even try to compare it to an old GPU with a perfectly available competitors card, a card someone upgrading from one of those lower GPUs would normally compare against this card and not think they are being disengenious is ignorance. This is just predatory marketing plain and simple.

Thought experiment, bring a fresh mind, someone close to you, in to read those posts on page 2, without telling them what your user name is, and ask them what makes more sense, and they must know something about GPUs. Please record their response, anytime you wonder if your being a bit too ridged, watch it.

Anyone else feel like this site/forum is becoming a lot like Fox News for AMD or NVT for AMD.

Maybe that's just the theme of the world this day, division is hot. I just feel a lot of people, and this is not against everyone, but the more recent users, are mentally incapable of seeing other sides of arguments. At least take cue from the Veterans. Like them at least Guardian Post your opinions for the illusion of fairness.

Anyways, doesn't matter anyway cause I'm a troll, look at my post count and date. It's a godwin for denial.

Side question, are inactive accounts deleted?

13. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    completely on topic before i digress a lil bit, im quite interested to see wat the 5xx series does to 4xx prices. im also intrigued as to how the refined polaris chips will actually OC

no lol

thats true however. plenty of the vets here are stubborn - but most of them are receptive to fair points, & savvy to the finer points of (more or less polite) debate in general.

now, as to why AMD is comparing 970s for their upgrade path...that seems pretty clear to me. they arent trying to convince folks not to buy a 1060. theyre trying to convince em to buy a 580. its not predatory in the slightest, its just frank targeting of a demographic they want to leverage. if anybody needs me to explain that one, i will :p

14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    All AMD is doing, not unlike NVIDIA, is squeezing every ounce of power and money they can out of their old cards before release of their new ones. I don't see any head scratching that should be going on here. It's a tried and true business model used forever by these two. This is just like a going out of business sale ploy, "better get these before they are all gone" in order to clear all of their old stock. Smart move here is to wait wait wait for BOTH companies to drop their new cards then upgrade if you wish.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You realize these slides were at a tech-press event and won't ever be released outside of this leak, right? Not to mention that they are accompanied by a guy who probably said something like "we believe the 580 is a good upgrade for 970 owners looking to game at QHD @ 60fps" and then the slide changed and no one cared because both companies say similar crap at every tech-press event - I bet Hilbert can attest to that.

When the NDA is up, there will be tons of slides comparing it's performance to the 1060/480/etc - and that's what consumers are going to see. So what exactly is the problem here? Other then people once again blowing stuff out of proportion?

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's also a question of what that card would get in resources from inside the company to be done. Also Polaris is nice, but it initially didn't clock as well and it still isn't as efficient as the equivalent NVIDIA architectures. Vega seems to rectify quite a lot of that, and it's still on track.

I would have liked them to have a higher tier competitor out already, but by the time NVIDIA launches Volta in 10nm for what essentially would have been a tick and a tock at the same time (different GPU and different process), they only have to do a tock (different process), and they can probably go for both the 10nm TSMC and the 7nm GloFo/Samsung.

Corporate-wise that's not a bad decision, especially since with a little refinement you can gain the mid-high market. If that RX 580 is as fast as a 1070, at an RX 480 price, that would shift the whole market again.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The performance difference shown there was on the 20-30% scale. If the cards are priced properly (~$200), then you get the extra performance along with a massive boost to VRAM. Why not.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    A RX480 with a 5% overclock will not come close to the 1070. Even in the best case DX12 environment.

That was 4 cherry picked cases.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The exact same thing happened with Hawaii, if you remember. The 290/290x were basically laughed upon when 970/980 launched, six months and a major AMD driver revision later the 390/390x were the better choice.

EDIT: Same thing with Tahiti. Originally considered the 680's b*tch, people were saying that the 670 was the better choice (and it was priced like a 7970 too), by the mid life of the 280x was around, Kepler was basically a joke, even the higher clocked GTX 770.

I know that, their marketing is ridiculous as usual. On the other hand, this has happened before with Hawaii, and even Tahiti. It won't be the last time when an older AMD core with new drivers and some refinement ends up being the better choice.

They don't even have to give 1070 performance. They can give something like Fury X performance without the VRAM bottleneck, at an RX 480 price.

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Actually these are not 4 cherry picked cases.

It's 2 x AMD favored titles: DOOM, BF1

And 2 x Nvidia favored titles: Overwatch, RE7:Biohazard (Gameworks Title! http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/resident-evil-7-biohazard-pc-available-now )

Rather 50/50 balanced I'd say.

Takes a lot of work to put it any better than this.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017