Microsofts April Security Update Blocks Windows update in 7 and 8.1 for new CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Says someone still running 7 because something doesnt work on 10.. Lol
    Once the gui isnt looking like the os is 10y old, and I can use an admin account without being asked 1000 times to confirm something when working on it, and audio with dedicated card works, ill go back to 10..

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    When the laptop was produced, a 4K output wasnt even on the horizon so something that wasnt planned for doesnt work because Asus/AMD have not updated the driver of a 10 year old laptop, hardly a Microsoft problem.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Wahahaahahaaa I can't use my 2016 CPU on a 2009 OS that is based off of a 2006. Win 7 is gonna be 8 years old. Why buy new hardware to not full support with a newer OS that suppprts it.
    No sympathy.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Also I'd like to see what's happening on Kaby Lake & Ryzen based rigs running W7/W8.1 in therms of future Windows 7/8.1 Updates when using offline Windows update software like WSUS Offline. I've Been using WSUS Offline for quite a whille and perfectly happy with it. I have a feeling it's going to work without restrictions i.e. Kaby/Ryzen owners wont be limited for future updates while using WSUS but don't have any Kaby or Ryzen based rig so I can't test that atm.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Whats wrong with having an OS for legacy games and programs? Your statement makes no sense at all. Plus many feel that Windows 10 isn't stable enough for their needs. Also try stating your statement to business users. I am willing to bet the software they are using isn't Windows 10 compatible and it would be a pain to get it working if it can work.

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    HA ha ha hau
    And people sulking because MS wont support XP and they need XP because their serial printer wont run on anything more modern.

7. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    I'm sure you enjoy feeding the machine!

8. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Windows 8 is not an old OS by any means, I can see the hardware support drop on Windows 7 and below but not with Windows 8/8.1

Windows 8 released on October 26, 2012

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    2 reasons:

1st - W7 does everything i want without a problem and is a perfectly modern OS.

2nd - not only W10 is crap for several reasons already mentioned a lot of times, spying on users, forced updates, dropped support for software/hardware that should be supported, it doesn´t bring anything new or usefull to the table!!! With the exception of DX12, what´s the point of moving to W10??? Is there anything we can do on W10 that we can´t do on W7/8.1???
    People have to understand that Windows has reached a point that is already more than good enough for what people need!!! They can´t add anything really usefull or different at this point! For example W10 is only beneficial to Microsoft, for the end user it doesn´t do anything special that makes it essential! Microsoft knows this very well and for this reason is trying to shove W10 on people's throats...

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is definitely a feature list a mile long that Windows 10 does over 8/7 - it's just that most of the stuff you probably wouldn't be interested in. That doesn't make it useless though.

I couldn't imagine using my MS Surface with Windows 7 for example - the experience would be absolutely horrible and arguably unusable.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Modern? In technology terms 2009 isn't modern.

If the argument that Windows 7 is perfect is true, then you do NOT need any more updates, which makes any argument of them not providing future updates, particularly for new hardware, moot.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Something is "modern" when it works perfectly fine and offers the same experience of newer products not because of the age of it... In this case, W7 is even more modern than W10 because it offers more control to the user!
    BTW i´ve been using Excel for a very long time and different versions of it and guess the Office version i have for personal use? Office 2000 released 17 years ago! Still works perfectly and offers everything more recent versions offer... Just don´t tell MS about this, i don´t want them to disable my Office because it´s not supported on Kaby Lake...

About the updates, i´m only concerned about security updates nothing else. That and i don´t want an warning window pop up every time i turn on the computer telling me the cpu is not supported... Despite the funny fact that Kaby Lake is Skylake on steroids, being that Skylake is supported... Good thing we can turn of W7 from updating, something we can´t to in the amazing and more "modern" W10...

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Look I agree that Microsoft should be supporting newer processors on Win7 and definitely 8 as it's under mainstream support. But saying that Windows 7 and Office 2000 offer the "same experience" as 10/Office 2016 is absolutely ridiculous.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    That is not just MS. It manufacturer of the printer as well. They have to create drivers for the thing. Again tell that to businesses that need to run legacy OSes to support the software to make their business function. Also tell that to people who cannot afford a new printer. If it were me. I would just keep an old computer around just to a function that my current PC could not do.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    win8 is load crap compared to 10, what they doing crappy and questionable as to why they really doing sure, I dont buy that it difficult to keep support newer CPU on older OS, if so why they been doing it all this time. I personal think they doing it cause need another way to make people go to win10. they could also being doing cause they know PC users have no choice in the matter, MS has monopoly on all thing PC OS and they know it.

I recent had to go service some win 7 systems and i gota say i dont miss it, and I refused to work on win 8 systems period.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The trouble with Windows 8 is that it is dog turd compared to Windows 7 and Windows 10.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You're right: it's absolutely ridiculous.

W7 is better than W10 and Office is just a text processor, I could use wordpad and still do my work.

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT

So, uh, what's "forced business" about the fact that Microsoft offered every human being on Earth who computes a *free* upgrade to Windows 10 for an entire year--in perpetuity, for the life of your machine--which is for as long as you are able to use a computer with your activation tied to a Microsoft account (as mine is.)

If people are so stupid as to "turn that deal deal down because soon Microsoft will offer a better one" then in my opinion they get what they deserve. OSes do not grow on trees in nature--as apparently some people believe. They cost hundreds of millions of dollars to develop and test and refine and improve and bug fix, etc.--quick, if you don't think hardware and software companies need to earn money to stay in business raise your hands--I'll be handing out "Dunce" caps at the end of class...;)

If you want to talk "forced business" and "walled gardens" then you need to be talking about Apple, not Microsoft--which is in every way pretty much the opposite of Apple (thank God! I don't buy Apple, if you can't tell.)

Yes, people are stupid, I know--and I wish there was something Microsoft could do about that, but there isn't. There are still some numbskulls running WinXP these days--the most virus & malware-ridden OS in history--and acting as if they deserve a Sunday-school Gold Star for doing so...;) Then there are the other stupids who think that paying $200-$700 out every other year or so for a new 3d card is great stuff, but who balk at installing a $100 OS supported for life, even if it is offered to them for free--without which their expensive 3d-card (and their game collection) becomes a paper weight.

I've been running Windows 10 builds (Insiders, too) since 10/2014, and I can say without hesitation that 98% of the negative stuff I read regularly on the Internet about it is completely false and ill-informed. It's from the "they'll have to pry WinXP from my cold, dead fingers!" crowd. They are lying, of course--what really happens is that these people simply take ten years longer to absorb the information they need to make informed consumer decisions--you know, the same people who declined Microsoft's free upgrade offer to Win10 because they wanted to wait for a "better" deal...;)

19. Uniblab12t

Uniblab12t Guest

GPU:
    Researching...
    Forced Kaby+Win10 is not necessary, so why?

This bothers me highly. Does anyone have any real info as to why this is being done? Its one thing to limit 4k video streaming and the like to the newest wintel platform, but to make someone update a perfectly functioning computer because of some idiocracy, is just bad.

Too many corporations think that everyone they tell anything will be believed - "Gibble, gobble, one of us, one of us".

Well if a pc running win 7 with a kaby lake chip is displaying the warning after the desktop has loaded, must be some fu:banana: decision than a real issue. As a matter of fact, I bet that an exploit designed to affect a kaby on win 10 wont be a exploit that would affect a kaby win 7 platform. Why this pressure to move to win 10?. If the business execs had to do their upgrade themselves and had to individually process the time that it took, bet that they would choose otherwise - even if it was drop off your pc and pick it back up in a week.

And why only a few select win 7 computers will have compatability?

Win 10 adds full 4k streaming compatability and hdr, but keyboard keylogging, the Edge browser a necessity even if you want to use a different favored browser, and other security questions that seem to keep coming with each forced update. Remember the one that broke dns?

They should start saying x86 compatability is going away and the "PC" means you rent your personal computer and Microsoft is the landlord with an entry key. You just "think" that its your pc.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Other than the bloatware that W10 has. Windows 10 has better memory management than Windows 7 and I do not have to restart my PC anymore to free up more RAM. Like I did with Windows 7.