Review: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Mini

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We'll review the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Mini. Aimed at a more compact form factor DiY PC gamer, this graphics card launch offers tremendous gaming performance at a length of just 21cm. But will it be...

Review: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Mini

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Great review but any chance of an Arma3 being included with sp and mp comparison, i know its largely a cpu dependent game but at higher setting the gpu players a bigger role....thats what would sell it for me.

3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Hats off to ZOtac for releasing such compact card. This is exactly why i bought an nvidia card cos the AIBs can release decent compact cards.

AMD LEARN FROM THIS. LEARN!!!!!!!!! SHEEEKO!!!!!!

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

[​IMG]
    is smaller

5. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    smaller (only just) but also performs nowhere near that 1080 and runs hotter.

Sure, if you're happy with mid range, AMD have an option (Nano) but anything above that, not so much.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    ??? Nano along with Fury X is the highest performing AMD single chip solution since 2015
    He based his argument solely on size...

He said he bought NVIDIA because of the smaller size and critizised AMD (not even the AIB manufacturers...) as if AMD choses which after market vendors do and do not decide to produce mini formats of their boards.

If he argues with size, I showed him the highest tier AMD card which is smaller than this Zotac Mini.

If instead had argued with highest peak performance, he wouldn't even have to mention size at all.
    But in size, AMD is smaller even with their reference solution here.

So.... in other words.
    There is not a single AMD card (smaller or larger) that has the performance of a 1080 at the moment. But that was not the point at all. :bang:

7. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    You are truly one sided. Of course performance matters, nobody buys gpus just for the size. Btw, this is smaller than the Nano http://www.ebuyer.com/761121-zotac-...vox1RJEM7eEWSDAiYlumfF39iSmJpdaijMaApPn8P8HAQ

It all comes down to what you need. If you want a small HTPC but want the best possible gpu in there, you'll never look at the Nano. If you want mid range performance in there, there's plenty options from Nvidia that are about the size of the Nano. If you just want a multimedia streaming HTPC with some gaming potential, you could go with a 1050ti, why not?

There is smaller gpus out there than the Nano. Are there smaller gpus from AMD to this Zotac Mini that perform similarly? No chance.

I'm not even sure why I'm trying to explain it to you anyway.

8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    If AMD's top solutions arent fast enough for you, then why bother arguing over size, especially when someone is wrong about AMD not having equally small or even smaller solutions?

If you want GTX 1080 or higher performance, then you can't buy ANY single chip card from AMD at this moment. Regardless of size.

You see... he said this:

And I said, "No, there are even more compact cards in the highest AMD tier."

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    That is a fair point. But as you surely know, AMD don't really offer these tiny cards in any price bracket. We've just seen a single slot 1070, a 1080 mini, there's a ton of tiny 1070 cards, 1060 cards, 1050ti cards... As you see, Nvidia offer a lot of options for those looking for a little gpu for their HTPC.

AMD don't have these options, bar the Nano, really, unless I'm mistaken. I'm sure he meant along these lines, really.

For me personally, size doesn't matter, the larger the heatsink the better, as long as it fits in my case.

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Even the Fury X is a tiny bit smaller than the Zotac mini... (if you have a fan-spot for the radiator anyway)

And the funny thing is he blames AMD for it... while technically NVIDIA doesn't produce reference cards that small... but AMD does!

So it's the other way round. He should blame Nvidia why they aren't bringing out reference cards as small as AMDs and thank the AiB vendors to do it for him.

But why he blames AMD for actually delivering smaller cards than NVIDIA and their 3d party vendors... I can only speculate about that motive.

11. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    It's kinda difficult to release a single slot 280x or 290x or their variants because AMD chips run hot, as you know, so AMD have to take a bit of the blame. Nvidia are a lot more efficient with their 900/1000 series and that allows AIB partners to play with custom designs.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I don't know how this conversation is leading to anything.
    I corrected this other guy in his statement about card size.
    Anything else is irrelevant here.
    You jump from one thing to the next. You don't need to defend that guy over a little mistake he made about card sizes... :)

13. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    To be fair to him, he said this
    AIBs. So yeah, he clearly means that on Nvidia he has options from AIBs that are exactly what he's looking for. You decided to start talking about AMD vs Nvidia rather than the AIBs.

But like I said, I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, you clearly have your mind up.

14. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    But he is wrong, because AMD has already more compact cards (even without their AiBs needing to put them out) than the card in the original posts he obviously refers to.

So maybe you should make up your mind too.

15. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    eek, this didnt go as i expected. What i mean is that AMD vs Nvidia, both camps have nice cards, but size is the issue

You cannot buy a 1060 equivalent to radeon in a compact size.

Nano - dude, nano is just too expensive. i have a 1060 that is within striking distance of nano at a fraction (almost a third) of the price.

AIB or nvidia/amd, i dont know who to blame. But either way, i bought a smaller card cos the other competitor did not have one.

16. gamer78

gamer78 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Mind made up, you're on my ignore list.

17. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    delete

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  19. Mac10Pro

Mac10Pro Guest

GPU:
    Just registered. There's an incorrect result for Tomb Raider at 4K;

It states, only 47fps from the 1080ti and Titan X!

The Titan X and 1080ti should be performing 60fps