Bayonetta out today on Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can anyone else test the game please to see if pressing F12 to take a screenshot on Steam crashes the game for them, thanks. I can replicate this error every time. I do have RivaTuner Statistics Server v7.0.0 Beta 19 (part of MSI Afterburner v4.4.0 Beta) running though so it may be a conflict between it and the Steam overlay; I haven't checked it with the RTSS overlay disabled.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think the Bayonetta port is better than MGR and NieR:Automata because Platinum did not code this version themselves, instead it was another third-party developer (whose name flashed up during the introductory credits but I've forgotten already!).

Don't get me wrong, Platinum Games are a very talented developer who generally make exception games but their unfamiliarity with coding for PC really shows. NieR was better than MGR, at least having resolution support (duh!) but it is still lacking somewhat compared to other games. Tellingly NieR:Automata has been out weeks and has yet to receive a SINGLE patch from the developer. Instead it has been left for a modder to fix the game's issues which really is poor in this day and age.

Perhaps Platinum should just stick to the consoles and leave PC coding/porting for another reliable development team such as the ones who did this game?

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Performance looks good.

4. Airwave

Airwave Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix GTX 1080-8GB
    Darren, are you sure the port was handled by a third party this time? because i can't find any mention of this (the logo that appears in the intro is CRI ware's a middleware used by many sega games). In any Case I agree there's still a lack of experience in Platinum and many others japanese devs in optimizing for the platform (somewhat understendable, given the minimal diffusion of pc gaming there), you can tell from these rather strange problems with fullscreen that games like nier and mgsr had. but given the budget available i guess it's not always feasible to outsource ports to pc to another dev. besides handling the pc versions themselves it's the only way to gain experience. It's The lack of support post launch that leaves a bitter taste. The frankly appalling 25hz bug through hdmi in MGSR was never fixed not even years after launch, i hope the same doesn't happen for the fullscreen bug that nier has (yeah i know there is an user made fix but that's not the point)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I'm pretty sure Platinum are doing PC stuff in-house now, both Nier: A and this are the start. They also mentioned they want to release some of their older games on PC so hopefully Vanquish soon

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Vanquish would be fantastic.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Vanquish, I would stfu for with my "too old to port" and fall in love with lol.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There are credits that appear on the gravestones during the intro sequence and I thought I saw what looked like a developer mentioned but I accept that I might be wrong. If it is Platinum then they've done a hell of a lot better job with this port than they did NieR:Automata, which they pretty much released and then abandoned since there hasn't been a single patch to fix any of the issues the game had (leaving it to a modder to address them all as usually happens with an alarming number of Japanese developed games).

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Classic..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah for that first one I guess it's a translation and regional difference with how their "Baka" term as in stupid/silly/idiot doesn't translate too well over to English from Japanese since the meaning is more negative here.

11. Airwave

Airwave Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix GTX 1080-8GB
    no problem, just mere curiosity, the important thing is that the game is ultimately performing good and without the problems that other platinum games had with fullscreen etc. . I'm installing it right now, i'm really looking forward to finally play it, or i should say re-play it as i already had it for the 360 (console broke out of warranty, and i didn't bother buying another unit, as in the meantime i had jumped on the pc bandwagon altogheter, ps3 version was out of the question for obvious reasons)

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I bought it on Steam and:
    - It's FPS locked like all ****ing Japanese ports are. This is seriously annoying.
    - The AA setting doesn't actually do anything at all.
    - There's minimal graphics settings; no option to disable motion blur.
    - There's a bug where switching your initial set of guns to a new set then firing it with rapid fire (X button) results in the model switching back to your originals while firing. I don't know if this is a bug with all guns or just the first new set (Onyx or whatever) you get.

Then there's a bug which may have been in the original console versions; collecting Umbran Tears of Blood doesn't display in the Extras menu (only the achievement ones do) and can only be seen in the in-game menu.

Then there are the bugs which I haven't experienced:
    - Odd resolutions result in cinematics being broken/having picture-in-picture.
    - Supposedly doesn't run properly on some AMD CPUs resulting in unplayable frame rates.
    - Odd start-up crash issues

The list goes on.

Overall, I guess it was worth buying if you don't run into any of the game breaking bugs, I'm just mostly annoyed at the frame lock. I never played through my PS3 version since it had so many problems that it was not an enjoyable experience. 540p poorly stretched to 720p, frame drops to literally 0 averaging well below 30 fps at all times, textures so bad that you could always count the pixels, etc, etc. I've waited years to be able to properly play this game.

What's the meaning behind these?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's just Classic Hideki Kamiya, for years and years people have asked him to bring Bayonetta to PC and it's finally come to PC then he says I love you to all the people who got it on pc then someone asks him to bring another game to pc and Kamiya blocked him strait away hahahaha...

It's just what he does lol.. he blocks people all the time.

The day Hideki Kamiya blocked you was the most important day of your life, for Hideki Kamiya it was Tuesday.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm definitely picking this up. Even though I beat the game on Wii-U. Even though the Wii-U version had some frame rate issues it will still a night and day difference over the PS3 version. Some people in the steam reviews of the game are complaining about Bayonetta 2 not being released for PC but that game has more red tape involved considering Nintendo helped fund the money for Bayonetta2.

15. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Finally got AA to work. Currently set at 2x (I have tested 4x and 8x and they work) since i am on a 1440p monitor and for me any more than that is pointless. Runs at a 60fps solid but i do not think the frame pacing is good although it is better than it was before as i have Fast sync enabled in the NVCP.

Really enjoying the game, more so than i did when it initially came out.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    But Darren gave his always flawless reviews on how great the game is lol. How can this beeeee????

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Already posted that it's FPS locked in this thread. Should have read it before buying :banana:

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Heh, I assumed it was frame locked before buying anyway, pretty much all Japanese ports are. What I didn't expect was a 30 fps lock during the real-time cutscenes.
    Sadly, for a Japanese port it is, just based on the fact that it works (for most?), gives resolutions options, and isn't locked to 30 fps. I don't even want to get started on how horrendous JP ports tend to be. Nier Automata, which was just released, still hasn't been patched to fix basic things such as broken resolution settings. A modder on day 1 released fixes for its problems.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    IMO, someone who calls themselves "PC Gamer" and doesn't take frame rates into account in their review scores doesn't even deserve to bear that name.