GeForce 381.65 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JAMVA, Apr 6, 2017.

1. VincentHanna

VincentHanna Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    I can't re-install this driver or the Geforce experience now.

The driver says checking system compatibility and then just stops and the Geforce experience green bar gets 90% along and again just stops. No error message or anything

Any idea how I can get around this?

2. skryabin

skryabin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Tested idle temp/voltages with 378.92 and 381.65 drivers, both on Windows 10 CU

Asus Strix 1070 OC, fan turned off

378.92 : minimum voltage 0.625-0.65V, temp 27-30
    381.65 : minimum voltage 0.7V, temp 32-35

Why? is this a bug or a new feature that keeps the idle voltage just a bit higher than usual?

EDIT: no apps running, no msi afterburner, just everything stock looking at gpu-z window.
    Each driver was installed after a proprer DDU cleaning

3. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    You can use full RGB or limited RGB with newer televisions. The key is that you just want to make sure your settings match whatever your TV is set to. That's usually under the TV settings under "black levels."
    If you plan to use Full RGB on your PC or game console, you want to make sure that your TV is set to the same thing. Ditto with Limited...which isn't really any worse no matter how it sounds.
    It's when they're mismatched when you see blacks turning into gray or blacks that are so deep that they have no detail ("crush").

The exception seems to be with the Xbox One. I have yet to hear of anyone who can make PC RGB work using a television. It "works" but you can't ever see the closed eye and sun character in the configuration options. Yet it seems to work just fine (no matter what your TV is set to) if you just use the normal TV setting.

I keep mine set to Limited just because it seems like all of my devices use the same gamma settings with Limited while they're all over the place if I use Full. I have everything routed through an AVR into a single input, so consistency is important to me. That and I don't think any of us can tell the difference between the two settings as long as they're configured properly.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Most modern TVs are able to receive full dynamic range just fine. Higher dynamic range means more brightness details.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I use full on my TV monitor and projector, the difference is very clear to see.
    Those suggesting to only use limited perhaps dont understand what the setting does.
    Fair enough if it makes no difference on your display, but I also recommend a new display to get better colour resolution.
    After all your gfx card is using its power to process at full colour depth, its a shame not to see them.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Many set it to limited as that is what the majority of video sources are, with games etc.. it's not as simple.

I also use an AVR and unfortunately here is no convenient way of doing things when you have multiple sources.

7. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I had to use DDU, install 378.92 and then 381.65 as trying to install 381.65 after DDU on 1703 I'd just get a blank screen and reboot when it went to install the driver. Something is definitely messed up with 1703 and 381.65 ... I think they didn't do nearly enough testing. I've never had so many problems before ... usually things just work great.

8. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Why you need to install 378.92 as base? Since u updated 1703 then stick with 381.65.

9. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Interesting , i have the same :3eyes:

Last time i took a screenshot:-

[​IMG]

now

[​IMG]

Win 10 x64 Creators Update ver 1703 - 15063.138

10. skryabin

skryabin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X

11. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    my MSI:AB v4.3.0 @ 0 mV but GPU-Z v1.18.0 @ 0.681 V

12. skryabin

skryabin Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    the "absolute" number doesn't mean anything, each card is different.
    you should check the same voltage with 37x drivers

For example
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...thread-released-4-6-17-/post/5125367/#5125367

0.66V with 381.65, but it was 0.62 before! and look at the temperatures!!

That little difference in voltage, as you can see, can increase temperatures by 5-10 degrees when the card is working fanless.

My card never goes below 0.7V with 381.65, but with 37x drivers it stayed around 0.65V. Fans off, I can also see a difference of about 5-7° in idle.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  13. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Anyone else having problems with these on Windows 10 Creators Update (fresh install as well) causing a corrupted screen during a cold boot? Otherwise running perfectly stable during gaming etc.

14. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yea tons of issues unfortunately. in game they run well until they dont.

15. Outcasst

Outcasst Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've had the same issue a few times.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Just as a data point. No corruption on reboots. Idle voltage unchanged at 0.65v GTX1080 Ti. Windows 10 CU .138

17. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    i updated my windows in latest version (creators update)
    and then i used ddu but the drivers is stuck at wddm 2.1

i so in the post that this new driver enable wddm 2.2 how can i fix it?

I have a gtx970

18. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I had a lot of problems after upgrading to 1703 so I did a fresh install and it came with version 356 NV driver. I used DDU before installing 381.65 and ran into the problem that I explained in the post you replied to. I couldn't install that driver alone as it would just go to a black screen during driver initialization during the installation process and boot loop until windows requested a restore to last stable state. If I used DDU and installed 372.92 and then 381.65 over it I had no problems.

I can't explain it. Never had an issue like that before.

19. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Alright, I also had few issues too, but so far the gaming experience is pretty decent.

Dota 2 vulkan glitches + shuttering.

ICC profiles, reset when entering games with full-screen.
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/64i5u5/iccnvidia_custom_color_profiles_being_reset_by/)

"One issue that I noticed is that on a computer restart or shut down, at the point when the operating system shuts down, the monitor flickers black and white very quickly which is followed by the monitors entering sleep mode like they are supposed to. This flicker is not normal and it feels like someone is forcefully pulling the plugs on my monitor." mentioned by @Cmpukah
    (https://forums.geforce.com/default/...y-driver-feedback-thread-released-4-6-17-/31/)

FYI, DisplayProfile utilities & Colour Management not able to lock ICC profiles properly.

Now I'm using CPKeeper 0.5 (Color Profile Keeper) & I haven't tried out UltraMon 3.3.0 yet.

20. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Noted, I noticed my temperature is slightly warmer than previous few drivers, I thought is due to my ambient & weather.

P.S. my ambient temperature 34°c & GPU fan-less + idle sitting around 38~42°c if during night time 40°c

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017