The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    0604 sent me back to the bronze age. Was hoping to finally move from 2933 (14-14-15-32) to 3200 (anything) stable. Sent me back to 2400 (11-11-12-26).

Hope they can optimize further, I read they had to remove the more recent memory optimizations with the new code. Hopefully they can bring them back.

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm still running 18-18-18-18-42 @ 2933 MHz with my 2 x 16 GB dual side rams. They can do 14-14-14-14-34 @ 3200 MHz.
    But 0604 does feel faster. It POST and boot faster. Windows is snappier. It just feels like a proper BIOS apart from the memory compatibility.

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    MSI B350 TOMAHAWK BIOS 1.3 is up on their website.

Ryzen 5 added and system stability improved

Applied it just now to a customers Ryzen 7 upgrade/rebuild (running Windows 7 still). POST time has improved and there are more RAM options.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Anybody know when Hilbert's R5 reviews will go live?

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This does make Ryzen more tempting. I'm rarely an early adopter until all the kinks have been ironed out, but the new 16-core monsters they've got lined up are even more tempting :D

8. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Well I played with ProcODT a little this morning (impedance matching between CPU and Memory to clean up noise). I got some results with memory over clocking, actually had a boot into Windows at 3200 which is a first, however it pretty much immediately crashed.

Will spend more time on this after work.

9. T0mate

T0mate Member

GPU:
    R9 290x Tri-X OC
    What value did you use?

10. Uzuel

Uzuel Guest

GPU:
    Asus Prime X370 Pro
    Problems with Adata XPG Z1 2x8gb 2800 SK Hynix Dual Rank (AX4U2800W) & Prime X370 PRO

Thanks a Lot for the Info.

I was quite sure I was not the only one with this forsaken mem kit.

I used to have the memory running at 2600 Mhz with CL timings of 17,17, 17, 36 and 1.2V with DOCHP profile 1 . with BIOS 0504. Yesterday I updated the new BIOS 0604 with the AGESA update.

But after that MB wont post anything above 2400 Mhz. I tried everything, change timings, increase voltage, soc voltage, etc. nothing seems to work now. I want to go back to 0504 or maybe even go to 0515. any advice besides change your ram kit?

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi and welcome to Guru3d. have you done a clear cmos and removed the battery for 10 minutes ? If not let's start by doing so. Let it drain all the power to clear all settings.

Start little by little increasing the memory overclocking , start at 2133 loose timings and work your way up from there without touching anything else from the cpu ( no overclocking the cpu yet ) , if it post run a quick superPi 32M test if it pass , reboot and go for DDR4-2400Mhz , DDR4-2600 , 2666 rinse and repeat until you find where your memory tops out on your mobo and current Bios.

Remember hynix memory does not like a lot of changes / tweaking , once you find a stable memory overclock leave it alone to avoid further problems. You should be able to squeeze DDR4 2600Mhz~2666Mhz at Cas 18 or 17 at maximum , and that's not a bad spot to be really , that's a middle ground. If you were able to run DDR4-2600Mhz before try those same settings , if it does not work try loosing the timings to cas 18. Maybewait for the guys running your same motherboard and their feedback on here. Also you can always flashback to the other Bios you mentioned until a new more stable Bios it's released. Hope this helps and post your findings.

Regards: Chispy

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  12. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Not home yet but think it was 80 ohms

13. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Unfortunely the Asus X370-Pro doesn't allow to customize pstates, only the C6H from Asus can do that AFAIK.

But as you mentioned that wouldn't be the same anyway as it wouldn't dial the voltage down.. I rather have the voltages dropping to 0.5v-1v on low CPU usage, than having the CPU at 4.0GHz all time.

14. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Cinebench multi and single core with the new agesa bios:

[​IMG]

Cathcing up with the 10-Core 6950X :banana:

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ASUS did a poor job with bios 0604. All they did was turn one out just so that they could say that they did. GB at least managed to get the latency tuned way down. Latency for me, keeping all the settings as before with 0515, latency only decreased 4ns; from 79.4 to literally 75.4. RAM is still only stable 24/7 @ 2933. Well, read somewhere that AMD was not concerned with providing performance updates till some time in May.

Was interesting to see that flashing back to bios 0515 was possible. Appears something changed image wise after 0511. Not that I was willing to, but all the bios versions from 0502 to 0511 am not able to flash back to.

16. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Thanks for those.

0079 was about as bad as 1002 if not worse for me.

0083 in contrast has been running decently well.

Yesterday I managed 3200 @ CL14 and 3.8 with a +0.05 Offset. Jumped there from .025, so the actual offset required might in actuality reside somewhere inbetween.

I still think I haven't gotten the best of 1700X chips ;)

Coldboots still require multiple boot attempts but typically works eventually.

Ideally I'd eventually receive a version that allows for P-State VID override without it then defaulting to the next highest P-State if a P-State's VID was changed.

I still cannot - to save my life - get the PCIe x1 ports to work. My Devil HDX remains unrecognized (reseated multiple times) and it also doesn't matter what values/speed/gens I assign to the PCI slots.

In your unstable Ryzen OC experiences, what happens if your OC crashes? During my 3570K times I'd see blue screens, with Ryzen however my screen just turns black.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    During my 3570K times I'd see blue screens, with Ryzen however my screen just turns black. -> it means it needs more Voltage :D

18. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I had figured that much out already, I was just perplexed as to why Ryzen would behave differently than my old Intel.

That said, I wonder if the tight RAM (3200 @ CL14) potentially causes the CPU/System to tap out sooner or under circumstances it typically wouldn't weren't it for those settings.

At the current rate I'm not even sure if my chip could hit 3.9 under acceptable voltage levels, which seems to be atypical for 1700Xs - alas if that's how it is then there's not much to do about it.

Rumor has it that VID P-State adjustment may become a reality soon. It'll vastly simplify the OC process and should easily the highlight the limits of my piece of silicon.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    For OS to display BSOD it needs quite a few CPU cycles to show it. For dump to happen, CPU has to continue working.
    If Ryzen triggers hard-lock, then BSOD is not possible.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Was playing with Asus' Ai Suite III. What ever it does, it turns my ram into an absolute troughput monster. Applying the same oc on the cpu as in the bios, one does not have access to ram timings with this software, and Aida64 reports the ram reading ability went from 44K to 51K and latency drops 2ns. CPU cache is similarly affected, went from 979 GB/s to 1100 GBs lvl 1 cache.
    :funny:

All I can say is we have been oc'ing our ram and cpus incorrectly all these years. Thank ASUS.

EDIT: If one plans on using their software and does not want it to start at login then disable the triggers for their services in Task Scheduler and change the services to manual under services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.