New Basin Falls HEDT Intel Desktop Platform will arrive faster than expected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    So is this an answer from Intel for Ryzen i assume? Fingers crossed for lower prices, and some actual PERFORMANCE improvements.

Perhaps finally a worthy upgrade.

3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    this is pants from intel. 4core only 16 lanes.... are you kidding me and still 14nm. So one introduces a pci based soundcard and then the 1080ti will only run @ x8. Is this intels way of forcing you to buy the more expensive CPU's? i bet they still wont be cheap. This is pants from intel. i have not looked at AMD for over 15yrs but now my head had turned at Ryzen and seriously thinking about AMD for next build.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Even when AMD was a better option with better performance in 2002-2006 era before Core series launched?

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Very interesting, if those slides are real, that would mean intel will be taking the pentium 4 approach with the kaby lake-x cpus, 112watt tdp is extremely high for a 4 core, wouldn't be suprised if its a >4.6ghz cpu. Seems like a product Inspired by fear.:boozer:

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Why, Ryzen isn't worthy for an upgrade?
    Oh, right: you guys just want AMD to come up with stuff so Intel lowers their price...

Same: until 10nm comes, Intel has nothing to offer that I'd be interested in. Ryzen all the way!

It's a product inspired by: software today takes advantage of clock speed so lets bump ours so we keep above Ryzen at gaming and charge more for the CPU's, fanboys will surely buy.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Looking forward to AMD's offering in that space. Just had to turn down Ryzen for a GPU-render based workstation because it didn't offer enough PCI-E lanes for 3 GPUs at 8x :(

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    By that time we'll already have 12-16core Ryzen CPU's. Intel looks confused when they have competition.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sure I do.

In general i want to wait and see what Intel comes up with, pricing e.t.c.

By that time Ryzen will get all its fixes, and hopefully fine wine will be fine.

So this year June / July we will see if Intel has something good to offer at a reasonable price or Ryzen is still the best price/performance ratio for 8/16.

P.s. calm down, you sound like a fanboy. ;)

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is more like an AM4 answer, than a Ryzen answer. It will most likely be very high price, but it's the first time in recent Intel history that a single platform will be able to operate with all available desktop CPU classes.

EDIT: It also shows what kind of marketing gimmick a of the rest has been. We know what kind of performance we'll get out of it. Skylake isn't that memory bandwidth sensitive, so my only question is how well it scales with 8 cores. Since Intel keeps using the ring bus, don't expect reasonable prices yet. As for the quads, it's kind of a bad move in the face of their clients who went for quad over octo with Ryzen, and now there's finally a broader platform, yet they are already committed.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Dual channel quad core on a quad channel hex+ core socket - does not compute. Having seen the X399 rumours, I'm waiting for that.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What's the issue with that?

Ryzen has quite a few issues to be fixed and some of them can't be.
    Not to mention their chipsets are lacking in comparison and they have nothing to offer in the high end market compared to X99

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Their chipsets only lack if you go for the 40-lane X99 CPUs, most of which are almost double in price than the 1700, so I wouldn't call that "lacking". The AM4 platform is going against the mainstream Intel series anyways.

14. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Ah, Kaby Lake X - for those users who want the same performance as Kaby Lake, but want to pay twice as much for your mainboard. I can see those being a huge seller. /s

No, I get that it is the cheap way to get on the Socket 2066 platform for later upgrades, but it's still pretty silly to basically throw away that kind of money on a CPU to get onto a platform so you can spend 2x-3x that much money later. Getting an x270 board with a Pentium on it so you can upgrade later makes sense, because they're under $100, but spending what will almost certainly be $300+ to do the same on x299 just seems dumb.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Of course not everyone needs 40 CPU lanes but even compared to mainstream it's lacking in a few areas.

Only 4 sata3(argument is 3rd party one's are junk compared to native except in pure throughput)

Only provides 8x Gen 2 PCIe from chipset whereas Z270 has 24 Gen 3 lanes.

On Z270 M.2 4x SSDs don't have to use CPU lanes so that's a plus as well.

Granted Ryzen is cheaper so that will be the argument of having less.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The platform offers 4 SATA3 + 2x SATA Express, that can be converted to 4x SATA 3 "native", if the motherboard OEM want's it. Most motherboards come with 8x "native" SATA3 ports, and the more premium ones usually offer two more via a 3rd party chipset, exactly like with Intel.

In addition to that, the AM4 platform has native USB 3.1 support, while the Z270 has none.

It is true that the Z270 offers 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes, but its connection to the CPU itself is exactly the same speed as the x370. PCIe 3.0 x4. This would tell me that under most stressing circumstances (a lot of expansion cards working at the same time etc), the AMD platform will behave closer to what is expected of it, since the Z270 has a connection to the CPU that is six times slower than the maximum bandwidth it can provide to devices connected to it. It's nice to see the "24 PCIe 3.0 lanes", if they can mean anything tangible.

Yeah, they hobble the 4x PCIe connection to it, along with everything else coming from the chipset.

You can say that X99 has more features (and it does have more), but Z270 is an inferior platform, feature-wise, with the exception of Optane.

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD also only has 16 lanes on current Ryzen chips, so how is that any different?

In any case, KBL-X seems to be in a odd place, the use-case for that seems a bit special. But still looking forward to the pricing and performance of SKL-X, X99 is getting old feature-wise.

PS:
    People still install soundcards in 2017?

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    10 core max? hahaha.....ha....

That's a joke right? Even the highest end motherboard soundcard is junk. So...yes?

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Looks like the replacment for x99 platform? wonder if it gona have some prices too

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The vast majority of the time the smaller PCIe slots are fed by the chipset not the CPU. so if said sound card was installed in one of the PCIe x1 slots no loss in lanes to the x16 slot would be had.