Nvidia Silently Launches 3840 Shader Cores Nvidia TitanXp

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Current Titans in no way shape or form have anything to do with Teslas.

These are glorified 1080Tis and have no extra special instructions or functionalities over said Ti.

At least old kepler Titans were compute monsters with double precision.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The Tesla P40 is GP102 and it's $5500 - aside from an extra 12GB of GDDR5 and full GP102 it also has nothing over the Ti and yet there are companies that will pay $4100 for 12GB of VRAM. (No one uses ECC in DL FYI). It's not about the cost, it's about maximizing the performance given the space you have.

Listen to the Anandtech podcast when around when the 1080 launched - I'm too lazy to find it, but Ryan Smith talks about when he was at the conference, how many vendors were coming up to him asking when the Pascal variant of the Titan X was launching. He claims the Titan's are extremely popular in the compute industry.

The Ti launch did change things though, because it's first gamer card with the 4x INT8 performance - the 1080/1070 doesn't have that. I don't know whether the new Titan X with additional memory bandwidth/cores is worth the cost in inference training over the 1080Ti. I know some datasets are heavily dependent on total memory and memory bandwidth - which is why HBM2 is used on the higher end cards.

I'm sure jcjohnson will have one in like a week and we'll know more about it's performance relative to the old Titan/Ti soon enough.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Rush a product out before competition to keep the "crown" is kinda scared, also in a way to keep new potential buyers at their side.

If that makes any sense, well it seemed a bit logic to me when I first saw this news.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Oh I know that VRAM is important for some applications but now that 1080Ti is out there is no incentive to spend double the price for 1gb of VRAM.

1GB of VRAM, maybe 5-7% shader performance is a slap in the face basically.

They should have dropped prices.

6. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Good, time for AMD to step up their game.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Dang ! Another Titan Xp ... keep milking your customers nvidia :infinity:

Dat Price :eek3:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    The king must remind everyone...I'm King Here!....Regardless of Cost.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's how the Czars fell friend :D

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    look at the 980ti 2 years later....kicks butt!

nvidia is the fastest by a long, long way.... no?

11. gadmin

gadmin Active Member

GPU:
    3080 Ti Gaming OC
    Still no Vega around.. sad for the prices...

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Not the best analogy and I've seen AMD using the "Red Revolution" theme more and more in their marketing campaign. Maybe it'll get some people to read about the horrors of the communist regime that followed, but I doubt it. But then again, seeing how popular left and far left movements are in countries that never lived through communism, it's no surprise.

Anyway, maybe we'll have a TitanXp2 some months down the line, this time with hbm2 memory. :p

13. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Oh well. Looks like I'm going to shrink-wrap my original Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), return it to Nvidia, and ask for the new Titan XP card.

14. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    Nvidia stretches common sense to limit. Partners have nothing to say?I hope Vega to win or be equal. really?

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

This is all about having the performance crown rather than actually being practically affordable. If you compare the stats for the Titan XP and Geforce 1080 Ti, it's almost twice the price at $1349 vs $699 RPP but looks like maybe a 10 percent peformance gain at best, and that's very generous compared to what the specss are suggesting.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's always been this way for "Titans". That's the absolute best GPU you can get. None of the people vilifying the existence of this card were ever going to buy it anyways. Why be concerned that it merely exists or that it's priced into the stratosphere? There are $4,000+++ CPUs available too. So what. If someone wants to make us something better and sell it for less we'd all get on board. It's far more complicated to release and price a product than some imagine.

These companies (Nvidia, AMD, Intel) give us a fair amount of that performance for far less money. Sure, we all want better, faster gear that's priced cheaper than before, but the entitlement of tech enthusiasts is astonishing sometimes.

If you are looking for value, you're looking in the wrong direction. Buy the mainstream gear and don't worry about the elite tech. ;-)

17. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I think I'd rather have two 1080Ti cards for my money, really don't see the appeal of the Titans for purely gaming.

I wish Vega would hurry up and mix things up a biit

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

When people ask which of something is better, I believe value is a strong consideration.

I would think two 1080 Ti cards would be better as well, but there will still be people insisting on the Titan XP. In these instances if people can 'afford' one Titan XP they can afford two, a fair assumption I think as they chose the Titan XP over two GTX 1080 Ti's to begin with.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This card would have had some meaning if it was the HBM2 version. At least then you would know it cost at least $300 to make.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Once again smartest users are the ones who waited for the 1080 Ti just like the previous gen.