Nvidia Silently Launches 3840 Shader Cores Nvidia TitanXp

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It feels like Nvidia is trolling his most loyal customers...

First they release the "regular" Titan, then the Ti and in less than a month they release the "full" Titan...

Worst than this only what Nvidia is doing to their partners with the Founders Edition...

2. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Some people want to drive 1440p@120+ or 4k@60.
    The 1070 can't reliably do that nowadays; the 1080ti can, being on average 50-75% faster

3. Coupe

Coupe Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Call the dairy farms. This is ridiculous how much they are abusing their enthusiasts.

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I was expecting a Titan version of Volta in the summer, but not this. They could have at least gone with A full P100 GPU with 16GB HBM2 memory like their top-end server cards. Nvidia is milking more and more.
    If they had given current Titan X (Pascal) owners a trade-in option to get the new Xp version cheap, I might have considered upgrading, but I guess that isn't Nvidia's philosophy.

I'm leaning towards giving my money to AMD for the next GPU upgrade more and more, provided they can finally deliver in the high-end performance segment again without charging ridiculous prices. Then again, my next GPU upgrade is likely quite a while away anyhow, my current card is good enough for all games and software and also overclocks nicely. I don't see a reason to upgrade until the performance of new video cards roughly doubles that of my current one.

I wonder if we could use the Titan Xp BIOS on the Titan X, though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Nvidia should offer a trade-up promo for people that bought the 2016 Titan X cards.

I kinda had a feeling a fully enabled part was coming as they have gotten yields up on the Pascal chips now. I just didn't expect them to do a refresh on the Titan so soon.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This launch makes me think Volta may be closer than we thought. Maybe we will see GV104 GPU's in December. That would be nice.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Volta won't be out till March or so next year.

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I honestly feel like Nvidia is trolling the enthusiast who buy these cards.

9. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    they will keep on milking as long as then have a phat fan base, so keep feeding them money, there next line up will be the same it will (guessing) 2080 beats titanXp 1080ti by 150% more gain everyone gos OMG must have get it new titan comes out new Ti comes out and titan that beats the Ti, so as long as everyone keeps being the cow nvidia will milk you :D

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    This was PCGH.de's April fools joke last weekend...just with a $/€3k price tag. Wonder how much they knew LOL.

Pure, uncut Pascal...

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    People who can afford those monitors can afford 1080Ti no problem. Buying a Titan is just stupid IMO, it's better to buy two 1080Ti.

Having no competition and the demand being there, they can do whatever they like.

As long as costumers have a philosophy of buying the best without considering price, they can raise the price all they want. I always go for price/performance and generally they last 3 to 4 years.

12. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Still no real competition. You can have good, better, best, bester... or you can settle with the less expensive option.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    GO GO crazy people buy it so they keep drive prices up xD

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    So they should take AmD's approach and just overclock the current generation cards by 6% and call it next gen?

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Cool card but absurd price again..
    They could have at least dropped regular TX to $999 and TXP to $1199

16. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    You'd be better off buying vintage consoles to play games on, at least they go up in value lel.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Titan threads are the best :D

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem is, once again, that users here are looking at this from the use case of a gamer only. Titan falls in between. If you don't want to get burned in x number of months by cheaper stuff, it's simple - don't buy it.

http://www.thinkmate.com/systems/servers/gpx/titan-x

This is what these companies are looking at. They'll purchase 20-30 of these servers at a fraction of the cost of a Tesla system. The $600 is meaningless in that context.

Also without knowing the actual yield % of a full GP102 the idea of Nvidia "milking" something is kind of meaningless. If they only get one or two full GP102s (which is obviously really low yield) out of a single wafer then what do you expect them to price it at? How do you know they aren't subsidizing the cost of 1080Ti's with the pricing of GP102 (P6000's/Titan X's)?

A lot of people are making a lot of assumptions with literally no data or context for anything. What I find even more amusing is people who say that GPU's pricing is getting too expensive. 90%+ of steam gamers are running at 1080p. 1060/RX480 can play almost, if not all games currently out at 1080@60fps for $200-250. Last generation that same level of performance cost $500. For the vast majority of gamers the price to play at the highest settings with great performance halved in the last two years.

Lol I hate them. It's a bunch of people complaining about pricing of something that they never intended to buy anyway. Nvidia should just rebrand it "Tesla Titan" or something and stop selling them to consumers.

19. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    "Anyway that didnt take long, guess they're a bit scared of Vega :p"

To me this looks more like they are not scared of Vega at all.

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Milking only works, when there is a cow (goat/sheep etc) around...

and so far, i haven't seen ppl being forced at gunpoint to buy (certain) hardware.