Microsoft To Announce XBox Project Scorpio Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    On Thursday at 3 PM CET / 6 AM PT / 9 AM ET / 2 PM UK Microsoft will reveal their XBox 'Project Scorpio'. Digital Foundry states to be able to bring the news exclusively. We assume technical spec...

Microsoft To Announce XBox Project Scorpio Tomorrow

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If only AMD gave us APU like this... Years and years they have this technology working...
    People would love it in HTPC as small linux/windows boxes with great performance.

Yet it still looks like Raven Ridge will be 4C/8T + 11 Vega NCU. While Vega NCU is considerably better and clocks should be much better than regular CU, we could have in good wattage much more.

Looking at A10-7870k performance, Raven Ridge CPU side will deliver 2,4x higher processing power.
    And Graphical side: 8 CU to 11 NCU = 1.375x ; 866MHz to ~1233MHz = 1.42x ; improvements in architecture (including reduced IMC starvation) = 1.35x
    => So graphical boost should be around 2.64x. That's not small boost at all, but could be much higher.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope it's not a bore like the Pro.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If the specs are to be believed then the price will be double what the PS4 Pro currently is.

6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    4.2 TFlops would be disappointing and on the weak side. 6 TFlops is better, but it'll still be a bit low, IMHO.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    4K gaming?

Like the Xbox One 4K gaming?

23 may 2013:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121249-microsoft-confirms-xbox-one-will-support-4k-resolution-and-3d

Back to April 2017: Almost all Xbox One gaming is at 900p/30 FPS

Upscaling to 4K/checkbox/variable res are all tricks used when the hardware is unable to output real 4K.

IMHO Xbox Scorpio will be Xbox One PRO: a fake 4K console a little more powerful than PS4 PRO but unable to deliver REAL 4K gaming.

Lately (last few months) MS only spoke about first party native 4K gaming for Scorpio i.e.:

https://gamerant.com/xbox-project-scorpio-runs-native-4k/

Saccharine is not really sugar... :puke2:

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Of course the Scorpo will be using upscaling to achieve 4k. Unless they are willing to price a true 4k console at $800.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft stated it has a 6TFLOP GPU in it.

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Project_Scorpio

Yeah, they already announced its 6Tflops.

980Ti is 5.6tflops and is more than capable of handling most games at 4K@30 - which is where consoles will be targeting anyway. Couple that with with consoles just having better optimization in general and there should be no need for weird upscaling tech. 2D/Indie/Smaller games with lesser graphics should easily be able to hit 4K@60.

So I don't know why people are making it sound like 4K gaming is far fetched for it. Seems perfectly doable.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    More TFLOPS (I really hate that that term) doesn't always equate to a better 4k experience. In some cases it can actually be worse. The PS4 Pro can already do 4k @ 30fps. So I don't see how scorpo will excite anyone. The specs may be better but the performance will be the same.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol..

This is like saying a Bugatti Veyron isn't always faster because it could potentially race without wheels. Yeah, unless AMD decides to like butcher it's architecture and stick 2GB of ram on a 4K gaming machine with a 12 bit bus - more tflops is better. We're obviously assuming a balanced architecture.

Also the PS4 Pro does 4K@30 in some games - in others it does the checkboard upscaling. It's also essentially a crossfire setup - as opposed to one GPU and it's 1.8Tflops slower and based on an older architecture. The PS4 had a .5tflop advantage over the Xbox One and there were plenty of games that ran faster and/or at a higher resolution on the PS4 and that was only a half a tflop.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Is there a noticeable difference in graphical fidelity between checkboard and true 4k?

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Also given the less than impressive sales figures for the PS4 Pro also proves that consumers are happy with 1080p. Don't forget that a high priced tv is needed too. I'm still interested in what Microsoft has to offer though.

14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Depends on the method and distance from the monitor. Console games on a TV? I'd say you'd have difficulty picking out which is which. PC games? Maybe you could reliably tell, depending on the method.

15. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    I don't believe there'll be when played on a monitor with higher pixel density. I believe most consoles are connected to TVs so, perhaps one sits to far away to notice.

The gap is certainly being bridged.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Even if you make the argument that there is no visible difference with checkboarding.. Microsoft can do checkboarding and then use the extra performance to increase draw distance, or add objects/advanced shaders/etc, or improve framerate, or a combination of all the above - which will noticeably increase graphics quality.

Also this isn't to say I think the PS4 Pro is bad. I just don't understand the comments about the Scorpio not being able to handle 4K. It should definitely be able to do it at console framerates/optimizations/graphics levels.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    They could do that yes. I'm hoping they will. The biggest hurdle in showcasing a 4k capable console is that you need a 4k tv to see the difference. 1080p with supersampling is easer to show off.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Price.....PRice.....PRICE.....!! This type of "incremental" release of information is a joke. They do not want to smash the scene with the price tag because that would seriously put a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. That is if it is more than $500 IMO. Which I do not see how it could be possible, but here is to being hopeful as I would love to scoop one up given the right circumstances.... Actual games for the console and that ever so elusive "cloud computing" addition to make so many of my games look that much more epic and immersive.

19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    6Tflops i doubt will be enough for 4k60, atleast not high/ultra settings, currently the cards that reach 4k60 on all games are the 1080ti/titanxp and they have around 11 tflops each. So either it's more powerful than that or we can expect games at a lower setting to make up for it. Either way i reckon this might cost around £500-£600 though guess we might find out tomorrow

On the brightside all xbox games come to pc now anyway so isn't that needed for people who already have a strong system to handle these games

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think MS should be more worried about Xboxs gaming library than in releasing a more powerfull version of the current Xbox...
    Good hardware is nice and all but only if it has good software to go with it...