Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Thanks, that's the 2nd AAA game I've seen lately to offer a demo along with Doom. Hope this sets a new trend. I might explore more titles this way.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So I installed it yesterday and surprisingly it runs good. 1080p np maxed, except for DOF - it looks ugly in distance, with it off its a bit more detailed, but postaa still blurs a bit, might try driver fxaa.

Lod could have been a bit better too e.g. trees, but its not soo bad. 1440p is still doable vsync'd with minor 55ish fps drop here and there, 1620p is ideal but its too much in 50s fps. And I noticed it uses cpu a lot, 50-70% per thread and heats more too.

Actual game is ok, although I have to say ***** this ***** that lol, a bit over the top. Driving is typical mafia style slow tanks and awkward, didn't came across any groundbreaking bug yet, played ~2hrs total.

Overall not my cup of tea lol, maybe if its 10€.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Don't use the in game v-sync. Try forcing Adaptive v-sync through NCP instead. Offers a better, smoother option.
    And, forcing FXAA through NCP doesn't do anything, since you can't disable the in game AA. Best bet is to apply a sharpening filter to counter the effects of the TAA.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I had only 1 mili sec hickup the first time I started driving around, but then it was smooth all the time.

I used ingame vsync and it didnt feel strange (unlimited fps, ingame 60fps cap made 58-59fps). At 2880x1620 it ran smooth too in 50ish fps, but yeah 60fps vsync looked nicer :)
    Character detail is good too, and other stuff in the near area, shame the distance is not so good.

Overall its ok, like I said before - not a fan but its not so bad either, at first I thought its going to be a lot worse from all those negative comments and posts.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    A lot of people never got over the initial release.
    No matter how much it's improved (and it has), people hold on to that release day state.
    Personally, I say judge it how it is.

At release, yeah, it had problems. Now, it's much better and should be judged by that.
    I really like it, on my second playthrough.... and still enjoying it.

6. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I tried the demo but I couldn't maintain a stable 60fps even on low settings at 900p so I uninstalled it, it's a shame because I loved Mafia II.

7. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Played the demo and then bought the game.

The gunplay is by far some of the best ive seen in a long time.

The way people react to being shot with different weapons and in different places is damn impressive.

Some great animations on Clay too, love the way you can just fire shotguns from the hip.

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, much further into it now and I am really enjoying it. Well worth it if you can get it cheap.

The 70s atmosphere, story, gunplay and many other aspects of this game are very well done indeed.

It's a shame that these guys didn't take another 6 months before releasing because the premature release f**ked this game up badly in terms of it's reception.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The demo is a horrible representation of the full game's performance.
    The full game runs nothing like the demo for me, and I've seen several other people make similar comments.

Babel-17 likes this.
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    its highly multi threaded, his i5 isn't cutting it. Imo needs min a good i7 2600K/3770K+ OC..

At first I tested 1080p vsync off, unlimited fps to see what's going on and it ran great 70fps+ minimum by cpu bound scenarios, otherwise ~90-110fps..

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Wish the Season Pass was on a sale price somewhere. The new content sounds really, really good... but, I don't feel like dropping 30 bucks.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Going to try it out again, i really loved the game. I might have found some save games that could help me get back the closest to where i left off.
    I really REALLY don't want to do the whole prologue over again.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'll return to the game once I get the season pass. The added content looks awesome, I'm just cheap (saving money for October's never ending stream of great looking games).

ramthegamer likes this.
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    its gonna be a hectic fall this year, so many great games coming out...but i should replay mafia 3 again

Damien_Azreal likes this.
  15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Finished the prologue 2 days ago, such a good game imo! Such a shame i have to start over, save games i found didn't work.

It doesn't run very well still, i just locked fps to 30 again so there's no fluctuation.
    I guess my CPU isn't good enough, GPU should be.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    this game needs an i7 to run nicely imo, game was super smooth and 60 fps when i changed my i5 4460 to i7 6700k

17. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I'm going to download the demo today. Really been keeping an eye on the game. The story and action seems fun and the story decent. Just need something to occupy me until shadow of war!

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, it really is a solid game and a damn shame they messed the launch up.

On the positive side, every patch has improved the game and they have added quite a lot of quality content since launch.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So, got the DLC... and decided to start a brand new game.
    And I must say, I still love the story and how it's presented. The work done to the characters, the cutscenes... music... it's beautiful.

Yeah, the gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but... not enough so that it really, deeply, hurts the game.
    Now, if only the game's performance was better. It's much improved from release, but, still leaves a bit to be desired.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I see it has finally steam cloud, i didn't know as i reinstalled windows couple of times again after playing.
    So i thought my save games would have been gone anyway but now i can go on where i left off. :)

Hopefully with my 1070 i'm able to play at 60fps now.