GeForce 378.92 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 20, 2017.

1. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Confirmed on RS2 latest build no problems with games only some other minor bugs !

2. Is there really a reason to go for Creators? SM6 is still not finalized, Game Mode has an unknown effect on game performance and I don't really care about some security updates.

I'm still on W10 version 1511 (b10586) that is right before the Anniversary update. I have absolutely no issues what so ever and plan to go for the Creators Update at some point.

But to be honest, I'm kinda struggling with the idea, because I hear people having issues with Anniversary update with bugs not being solved even in Creators update etc. (like black screen issues on X79 chipsets).

So update or not to update, that is the question...

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    If you have doubts don't update in my opinion ! At least you can try the build you prefere in VM player for example and see what it brings and how It works on your machine.

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    did u contact the mobo manufacture & asked them to update the microcode?

5. You are probably referring to that mentioned X79 black screen issue. I was mentioning it as worst case scenario example. As you see in my signature, I'm still rocking the old SB P67 chipset, so no, I did not :)

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Are there ANY known issues with SB + P67 + GTX1080 running Creators Update?

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same reason as always - software will be developed and optimized for the latest OS version which would be 1703 starting on 11th of April.

You being on 1511 is locked out of several last DX12 releases which require 1607 updates to WDDM/DXGI/DX and pretty much all (?) 2016 UWP releases. As 1703 will update WDDM/DXGI/DX again this will again start to happen by the end of 2017 with those who are still on previous Win10 versions (gold/1511/1607).

I'm using 1607 since its release, and I don't see any bugs beyond some issues with 3rd party authentication USB keys which are solvable through a workaround.

7. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Thank you guys, signed up in the Insider circle for the release previews. Gonna report back once I have it.

8. Optimization is the last thing I'm concerned about tbh. I also have W7 on my machine and DX11 games run absolutely the same or even better on W7, differences are minimal.

The WDDM update is probably the only thing I'm interested in. Because for example full HW accelerated decoding of VP9 in HTML5 players will only be available for WDDM2.1+ systems. But it also brings some compatibility concerns like some Bethesda games not launching (I guess that was fixed already) etc...

So nevermind, I guess I'll just wait a few months to see what's what and then I'll decide.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    While such issues are certainly possible I don't expect them from a RS1->RS2 update. Threshold->Redstone was a big kernel update, RS1->RS2 is mostly some enhancements and patches. 1703 is a rather minor update all things considered.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What RS2 did for me is mess up some registry, and user files. It literally moved them. As a result some apps just work, but you can't see them anymore in registry. Some just don't, but start working fine right after reinstalling them. Always the same thing with those major updates.

But I do like Game Mode addition, while a bit buggy (when alt tabbing out a game of full-screen movie) nvidia color settings reset. On a bright side, i do get several extra fps here and there, but most importantly I get better frame times and latency. That is crucial for me. On average my main benchmark was world of tanks - worst optimisation in the world, but with game mode average ms times dropped from 10.5, to 7-8ms. Little but nice.

11. I don't find 20% decrease in frame times a little :) If that result will be verified, then it would be awesome, but I'm a bit skeptical...

Anyway it's funny you mentioned WoT because I did work on it for almost a year and believe me that their BigWorld engine is a real mess. I've never seen worse codebase ever in my life.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Going from 95FPS to 133FPS is not "little" :p

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I haven't tested many games yet, busy with work. Will do more testing this weekend. Some games dont start because of RivaTuner O_O. If you turn off a game in it / or simply turn off RivaTuner they magically start working. Something for Guru team to look at in future.

Glad to see a dev that worked on WoT, any optimisation tips from you? :) Also why is game capped at 120fps?

Oho wow, which title? Simply i cant see that, as I have 99.5fps cap on driver level so that Gsync would always run on my screen,

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Game mode gave a boost of almost 40fps?

I have major doubts game mode was the reason for such a boost

15. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    maybe the boost is for those users that has iGPU.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I'm referring to his frame times. 7.5ms is 133FPS, 10.5FPS is 95FPS. He said his frame times dropped from 10.5 to 7-8.

Unless he meant something else...

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Probably miscommunication. See my post above.

Off-topic: driver-level cap adds up to two frames of extra latency. RTSS adds only up to one. So use RTSS, not driver level capping :)

This was tested here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3073

18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That was a very interesting read. Thank you for sharing! Had no clue about some stuff there.

.....P.S.

Apparently i was using THE WORST possible combination for latency... ah what an idiot!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  19. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    After a clean install with the latest DDU this driver is probably one of the best yet. All my games run super smooth and I seem to get a benefit in ARMA 3 with higher FPS and less stutter. Been playing Rainbow Six Siege, Styx Master of Shadows, Arma 3, Rocket League, Metal Gear Solid V, Killing Floor 2, and Shadow Warrior 2.

Great drivers!!!

20. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    this guy does a similar thing here comparing fps limiters with gsync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0PYCpBJjc