GeForce 378.92 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 20, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Luckily I change only profile settings, so I will be comfortable with ProfileInspector.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You should really not trust anything siriq says about what NV do or will do. Chances are that he was asleep when he was reading this.

3. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Hi,
    I noticed today that I have very high kernel timer latency on my system.
    I suspect that the latest nVidia drivers are causing it. I noticed this behavior on 378.78 and 378.92 drivers.

Could anyone check kernel timer latency on their system using LatencyMon?

When IDLE at desktop the first bar (current kernel timer latency) should oscillate from 10 us to 100 us. It may occasionally jump to about 1000 us, therefore the second bar in the same conditions should be 1000 us.

Right now I'm observing about 12000 us latency and is constant. I use Windows 8.1 x64.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think Nvidia should of RELEASE the tech to EVERY GPU MAKER or made a standard Vsync issue are widely know and effect everyone, instead they took profit now road, instead of the long game which would more profitable even it if took longer. Gsync is still to expensive and probably still to expensive cause there not selling as may Gysnc monitors as they hoped they would.

I refuse to do anything with Vsync cause to me the tearing is worse then the slight latency it cause. That at this point I have compensated for, except in the few games that done so baddy the fps drops to unplayable levels which amplifies the latency issue

Why is he still going on about DX12 not be support on his card or some other non sense?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Thanks for the comment, i can quote you once IT sites going to publish the same info what i wrote :D

6. aaronne

aaronne Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 MOBILE
    I dont think is a good comparison because I'm on win7x64 (Nvidia driver 378.78) but here no issues

[​IMG]
    Sorry but on win10x64 I'm still on 375.rel

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

I suspect that only programmers of Resplendence Software know what is this kernel timer latency. I do not. ISR and DPC - I know what are these.
    Don`t forget that 12000 microseconds is not that big value. It is only 12 milliseconds.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Your guys' expertise on the side, for the less in detail feedback, driver seems fine for me, after getting it to install properly I haven't come across any issues (win10, only dx11).

9. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Thanks, for checking this out. That was really helpful. It might be my system specific issue. I'm gonna look more closely to other background apps.

I don't have full understading what the kernel timer latency affects. From what I googled it might affect interrupts handling by kernel, as well as events and sheduled jobs. It is unclear to me if it affects every system call or only those that wait to be wake up. Anyway 12 ms delay in kernel space seems very high, especially when PC is idle.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you found some descriptions of that kernel timer latency then share. Many gurus would be interested to read (I assume).

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Agree, so far no real issues yet.

These are also the fastest in dx11 single threaded and multi threaded scenarios from literally all drivers since 347.xx, so far 353.49 were the best, and now 378.92.

Ok at least according to dx api overhead @ 4.6ghz instead of 4.7ghz
    http://www.3dmark.com/compare/aot/198728/aot/192915/aot/62970/aot/46129#

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure, feel free to do that. Just make sure that these "IT sites" will actually publish exactly what you've wrote.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The Evil within still has this camera jitter bug, but I fixed it with one workaround.

Disable ingame postAA and force FXAA in driver profile (default disallowed)

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Has anyone else noticed the Control Panel isn't picking up nearly as many installed apps/games as it used to? Sure, it opens faster when opening the Programs tab for the first time...that's because it isn't updating.

15. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    yeah if u installed the new driver or even the 1st reboot.

after few circles, the apps/games will be appeared but certain apps/games won't appear if u didn't add like e.g battle.net, dota 2, mpc-hc, diablo 3 etc.

16. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    My system is behaving much better, after fresh clean install of Win10 then this driver.

17. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Just a heads up as I was scratching my head trying to figure this out. The latest driver for samsung 950 pro 960 pro causes high dpc latency on storport.sys . https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html this is the latest one that doesn't have the issue there is an update for the firmware on samsung magician but the driver update 2.2 or whatever is no good revert to 2.0 if you updated it.

18. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Has anyone gone to the Windows 10 Creators Update with this driver? Are games working?

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Neither AMD nor Nvidia have WDDM 2.2 compatibility in their release drivers yet far as I'm aware but I don't see that as being a problem and it'll be resolved soon enough. (Perhaps even before the full public release of RS2 on April 11th, we'll see I suppose.)

Plenty of people using insider builds too so these probably work just fine on RS2 or Creator or 1704 and whatever else Windows 10.x is called this time. :D

Can't really help much with this since I'm currently on a AMD GPU but I don't see this OS update as being a problem or these drivers as having issues with said OS update though a re-install of the drivers after upgrading from RS1 might be recommended unless you're going for a clean install instead of a in-place upgrade. :)

EDIT: And as for RS2 and gaming I'm not too certain on the more in-depth changes, RS1 already did a couple of things with WDDM 2.1, DXGI 1.5 and D3D11.4 plus other changes and I'm not sure if the full specs of RS2 are available yet aside from some vague info from Microsoft and also shader model 6.0 but that's for upcoming future titles and won't affect existing games.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chuckw/2016/08/02/windows-10-anniversary-update-sdk/
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt661819.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt661818.aspx

Might help with performance but I'm not sure we'll see any of the few current D3D12 games being patched with SM6.0 support, unsure if it means anything for Vulkan either though WDDM 2.1 is apparently a requirement for Vulkan and SLI/Crossfire multi-GPU being fully functional.
    (That driver layer, not DirectX as such but something with that and the OS.)
    (EDIT: Or perhaps not? - https://www.khronos.org/blog/vulkan-multi-gpu-support-not-just-for-windows-10 Good to see that clarified further.)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    RS2 being RS2 as in another enhancement of previously released Windows version I don't expect any issues with games or anything really.