do you agree that EA was a great dev in the 90s but not anymore

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Major Yes.

Hell Id be happy with a remasted or Clive Barkers Jericho eventhough that was done by Codemasters. BUT I WANT AN UNDYING SEQUEL DAMN IT!

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Nope. Although I do believe Activision was great back then.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    EA boned up so many good franchises that I've lost track. Electronic Arts was a good company in the 80s and into the 90s, but greed (pumping out sequels), poor treatment of staff (as I recall) and a lack of care for releasing quality games ruined their reputation.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There's only a handful of games I remember playing from EA that I really enjoyed.

Road Rash series
    Sim City 2000
    NHL '94
    Medal of Honor: AA

Unfortunately, if you look at their catalog of games from 95-96 on, it's almost all sequels. And yes I am aware that all the games I listed are basically sequels however, these are the games that I really remember playing. The original SimCity and NHL games were pretty garbage and Medal of Honor: AA is in a whole other league compared to the rest of their games.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    IDK how you could leave out any of the first few NFS games unless you don't like racing games.

But the first 5 NFS games were all tops. Porsche Unleashed was the last good 90s NFS games. NFS Hot Pursuit 2 was the last of any NFS game worth anything before Ricer series started with underground.

Chess likes this.
  6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Had a lot of fun playing Nascar Racing 3 back in the day. Probably the best online Nascar racing experience ever and free. I think there are still a few racing on their own servers around...

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I think it's not related to EA, the bigger picture is that Capitalism, and Globalization goal is to make profit more than anything else.

Quality product at competitive prices is clearly far from being a priority when you have no opposition on the market, which clearly is EA case, it's actually even the opposite.

It's basic Macroeconomic and 'Monopole' study if anyone wanna dive into a bit more Math and technicalities.

8. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    it's not even a question it's proving fact they got to big and quality dropped.
    to much to handle for EA. So many studios and employees, talent is hard to find.

9. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    it's EA's choice to keep baking or serve it cold. If quality product at competitive prices is clearly far from being a priority was true than CD Projekt RED would do it too. Some studios out there have pride in there work. EA's rule of thumb, to develop a.s.a.p move to a new project, rinse and repeat. EA has no pride.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  10. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    EA should give the rights to NFL madden and Rory McIlroy golf to 2k Sports.

Honestly both games have been mediocre for a while now.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Nascar Racing 3 was awesome. I still have it and there are a few leagues around that still race it using Tungle.

But we have EA to thank for killing off Papyrus. At least they came back with iRacing.

12. Wasn't EA generally just a publisher with the exception of EA sports / a subdivision EA-LA ?

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    no in late 80s and in 90s they were a dev, and a great dev with fantastic games mentioned here by other on the thread, shame EA is like this today.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    CD projeckt: 370 employees, Revenu in 2015: 184 million Euros

EA: 8,500 employees, Revenu in 2016: 4 396 million US$

Smaller studio just don't have the choice, they have to deliver quality and innovation to get a place on the market.

15. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    One of EA's objective is to deliver quality & enjoyable games, and that's the case with 99% of publishers.

But their number 1 objective is to make money, and they do a great job at that.

EDIT: First time I used Underline in a post, beers on me!

16. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I think greed got in the way of a lot of the businesses including video games. IMO games have been getting worse since the playstation 2 era.

They used to be about fun, now we have companies like ubisoft that think that adding towers to their games makes up for fun gameplay.

Keitosha likes this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It is a public company beholden to quarterlies. Can't say I blame them for putting short term gains over quality. I don't have to buy in either and that's what I do.

18. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    They absolutely Killed two of my fav series of games NFS and C&C now I wont touch anything that EA has had a hand in or a finger up

19. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    They ain't that bad right now but they used to be bad a couple year ago

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    CdPR should teach them to go back to their roots and back to earth