The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I really don't know for sure, but I think most, maybe all, of the GSkill Trident series has samsung chips. Do you have the exact model number?

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/60g5cj/windows_10_update_on_16_mar_have_partially_solved/

and:

Dota 2 Update - March 20th, 2017
    March 20, 2017 - Valve
    - Fixed the display of particles in the portrait window.
    - Fixed Shadow Fiend's Demon Eater (Arcana) steaming while in the river.
    - Fixed Juggernaut's Bladeform Legacy - Origins style hero icons for pre-game and the courier button.
    - Improved threading configuration for AMD Ryzen processors.
    - Workshop: Increased head slot minimum budget for several heroes.

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^ wow that's a news. any bench before and after the update?

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Maybe it's better threading, or just keeps threads in the same CCX. Even though the scheduler is working properly in terms of SMT, it doesn't see the CCX's. Normally if the threads are shuffled around it still has direct access to the same cache subsystem. In Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5, there are two cache derivative pathways of 4 and 3 cores. If threads are passed between the threads of one CCX to another, it incurs a penalty. The other aspect is thread continuity. Even if threads are contained within its own CCX, a second important aspect is what those threads are actually processing. Ideally if threads are processing the same data in parallel YOU KEEP those threads in a single CCX if possible. No point having two lots of data being processed with each CCX processing half of the data each.

I would assume Ryzen aware programs like DOTA 2 with the update would consider all this, although program awareness probably wouldn't be necessary so much if Windows was able to do this balancing itself.

5. Kanuki

Kanuki Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Unfortunately it's not working for me. T_T

It can't even boot to Windows with 4.1GHz or 4.2GHz.
    Only can boot to Windows with 4.0GHz but it will
    crash immediately once I start AIDA64 stability test.

Do you think it's because of my Hynix memory
    or it's just some bad silicon lottery?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If with those settings your cpu did not even ran 4100Mhz then definitely is not your ram , most likely you got a chip that hits the wall at 4000Mhz like my first 1700x was :/ , that was a dog and would not run 4100Mhz stable. I sent that 1700x cpu back and took a gamble and bought another one 1700x and i got very lucky and hit the jackpot with a gem cpu that now runs 4200Mhz all day easy. Like i said in the overclocking guide in the first page it all comes down to the silicon lottery. But do not be discouraged 4.0Ghz still it's a very fast cpu :) it could be worst 3.9Ghz chip.

later on today i will get your settings for hynix ram to try.

Regards: Chispy.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think I've booted my 1800x with 4.3 and it froze before I could enter bios. I need to look into your manual oc guide on friday :D

8. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    My 1700X and Asrock Taichi shipped today, should be a fun weekend of tweaking :D

9. Kanuki

Kanuki Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I think I got a very bad one thought. It's because even when I overclocked to 3.9GHz then I got very weird problem when I played the game 'World of Tanks'. The game kept on disconnecting and
    saying 'Connection Interrupted'.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Please offer feedback on the Taichi mobo. That is the one I am very interesed in, but no in stock. :)

11. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    I think the stock is slowly trickling through, I pre-ordered the week before Ryzen launch from OcUK. It would appear they only got enough stock to cover some of the existing orders as they still have no stock online.

I'll update at the weekend with some comparisons to my 2500k @ 4.5Ghz and also how well overclocking goes :)

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That looks like the memory i have, but the R at the end of it, is not on mine. What does the R signify?

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks, yes sure: F4-3200C16D-32GTZA

As far as I could tell, the "A" version is the slower one as it it spec'ed 16-18-18 instead of 16-16-16.
    The C14 version was almost 50% more expensive, so I thought I'd rather cut that corner.

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I think it's for RGB most likely since mine light up (nothing I would have paid extra for specifically).

I have been looking to try to find out anything definite online, but no luck so far. If you have the RAM installed you can run CPUZ to see if they are single or dual rank.

15. FlowLive

FlowLive Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    OC Motherboard

Hey guys,

I was JUST able to snatch the last Gigabyte Gaming K7, though I was really looking to get an Asrock X370 Gaming K4 which is about 50$ cheaper...

Question is, I have a Ryzen 1700 and Corsair Vengeance 3200, The Asrock one was really fine for me until I realized the Gaming K7 has a BCLK built-in.

How would I specifically benefit from BCLK if I want to run the at 3200 and get the CPU to around 4.0Ghz? Can this be achieved without BCLK? If there is no real benefit I might actually cancel my order and get an Asrock with water cooling instead. Can 4.0Ghz be achieved on air(wrath cooler) and if not what's a good cheap AIO? H110i?

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    R - RED
    K - Black
    B - Blue

:)

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Go for the Asrock X370 Gaming K4 , BCLK overclocking it's not worth it for 24/7 operations as it will get funky and weird around 125 BCLK for pci express and start dropping usb ports and stuff like that. BCLK overclocking it's only good for benchmarks in reality. BCLK Overclocking is Not needed to run Ram at 3200Mhz.

Please buy the best AIO water cooler that you can afford to ensure proper cooling if you are going to overclock. Wraith Cooler it's not suitable for overclocking , i have one and is only good for stock clocks but not for overclocks. The performance increases that you can get out of this new architecture of Ryzen CPUs it' cooling , cooling and more cooling for the CPU ( I cannot stressed that enough ). Good luck and share your findings.

Regards: Chispy

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  18. FlowLive

FlowLive Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Thanks for the answer.
    So even CPU overclocking is not anymore stable with than without BCLK?
    Back in the days FSB tweaking was the sh*t but now it's been so long I last did this!

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Correct. In order to run high BCLK we have to do some tweaks and tricks for that deep inside the Bios , and is only suitable and gains to be had in benchmarks only.

I ninja edited my last pos lol please read it. Please get yourself a good AIO water Cooling Unit , the best you can afford, this chips perform better when cooled properly and the stock wraith cooler it is not suitable for overclclocking , i know that because i ran some tests on mine and it's no good.

Please refer to the first page , there i posted all the AIO Coolers available and ready for AM4 , i would suggest to give it a good read and google the ones you like and find the balance between performance versus dollars ratio. Look for the reviews on google and the pricing.

Regards: Chispy

20. FlowLive

FlowLive Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Oh dang! I hadn't realize you updated the first post, been following this thread since the beginning !

Indeed I'm going to read this up right now, thanks and grats for the the info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.