NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In about two years you'll be using DSR / custom resolutions on you monitor and some Volta GPU to reach 8K and beyond -)

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Hehe, maybe.
    But just 4K + TXAA can be extremely demanding in some games even with 2-way Titan XP, e.g. Watch Dogs 2.

All I'm saying is, that it is nice to "fall back" to 4K in case there are issues with DSR or similar.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Seems the dev's hoped that people will ignore all of this simply because of "bubble butt". What I am surprised for is that game actually runs 21:9 out of the box, interface is stretched, but thats about it.

Also at 3440x1440, my gtx 1080 @2100, cant sustain stable 60 fps. So much for optimisation of a game that looks like something back from 2010.

4. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not surprising. A cut corner to keep being able to use MSAA with higher performance. Frostbite engine when they supported MSAA, suffered the same problem in several games.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No, it's locked internally when running in FSE.
    DSR isn't the issue, and I don't often have issues with DSR. (Though certainly this is a game that would have issues because the game itself is busted when it comes to resolution ATM without a 3rd party fix)

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/S...15439774855607641/?ctp=47#c135511757698399265
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...996/A9692C7B0D4964849F720D889E4295B9BE6B0764/

Which is the primary problem. I cannot get anything but 1080p native working in FSE. Every other resolution is scaled. And it's immediately visible on RTSS's OSD as well.

Person in that link does not mention if they are using the fix or running windowed.

Running windowed has no issues.

On this crappy 1600x900 monitor for example. Cannot get native res in FSE.

Running a high dpi monitor would be nice, but there are a lot of games that dont' scale the UI properly for one. And in the case of Nier, the performance is not good, not worth spending money on the hassle of SLI IMO to get 4k60 out of this game.
    Maybe a 1080 Ti could hit 4k60. But no way to tell atm.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    I Am Alive

0x000000C1 - SGSSAA (works on 16:9 and 21:9(modified .exe))

Use ShaderFix for disable DOF blur and make AA effect works in the cutscenes, see below for instruction

For Comparison
    No AA vs SGSSAA(8x)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

SGSSAA8x Enchanced vs SGSSAA8x Flag
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DSR(4x)+Inject SMAA vs SGSSAA8x Flag
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Conclusion : 4x best for performance , 8x is performance killer and bit blurry but daaang pretty good in motion ,shimmering is gone :). Enhanced with MSAA in a game not good at all

==============================================
    21:9 Black Bar Fix for AA Flag to works !

edit IAmAlive_game.exe with HxD editor (make sure first backup your .exe) press Ctrl+F search for 39 8E E3 3F > datatype Hex-values
    Code:
    if you're using resolution[B] 2560 x 1080[/B] change [B]39 8E E3 3F[/B] to [B]26 B4 17 40[/B]
    if you're using resolution [B]3440 x 1440[/B] change [B]39 8E E3 3F[/B] to [B]8E E3 18 40[/B]
    save your changes with Ctrl+S and exit HxD

make sure use flawless widescreen for FOV Fix and View Distance(performance impact! ,disable this LOD if FPS drop)

21:9(Hor+ YES) | 16:9
    [​IMG][​IMG]

==============================================
    I Am Alive Shader Fix

You can also remove the DoF Blur,film grain, or black & white shaders for personal taste. download here I Am Alive Shader Fix
    Copy the folder ImAliveShaderFix to ..\I Am Alive\src\system\ (copy the whole folder not only the files in it). Double-click ImAliveShaderFix\Help.exe for further info.

Tweak Disable Blur Only(keep black&white shaders)
    go to the folder System\ImAliveShaderFix\dumps delete blacknwhite(sprint).bin and blacknwhite.bin . start ImAliveShaderFix.exe > Press Insert to active

Vanilla | Shader Fix
    [​IMG][​IMG]

btw old good game :) recommended for who love survival on post-apocalyptic era world w/ good story and variety gameplay , Climbing w/ stamina is hardcore man :D.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    noticed that problem on battlefield 1 too when use TAA weird the pre-sharpening is shown up, Frostbite 3 engine is m**s. i remember resolution scale is helped to reduce works but when reach 200% :cry:

9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Meh honestly.
    I have had a 4K monitor for 18 months or so now, and those UI scaling problems are largely exaggerated IMO.
    And let's not turn this into an SLI discussion either please.

The simple fact is, that at 4K and above you simply need a lot of grunt to run most newer games comfortably. Even without any real AA besides FXAA.
    No need to complain about poor optimization either etc.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's FSE?

In any case, no, it's not locked and it does run perfectly fine here in 2560x1600, and this is definitely visible from RTSS OSD.

11. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Question about older dx9 games (like Hitman: Blood Money) which already has MSAA support, how to make transparent textures (like grass) more smoother? Enabling transparency multisampling in Nvidia inspector did not help..(behavior flags should set to Treat or None?). And forcing SGSSAA makes game a bit too much blurry.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Driver transparency multisampling has always been pretty useless.
    I even remember testing this way back in 2004-2005 with HL2 and BF2.

Simply enabling TrSSAA should be sufficient when enhancing ingame MSAA.
    Alternatively disable ingame MSAA altogether and force MSAA+TrSSAA/SGSSAA with a custom AA profile.
    Either way, I would recommend setting the AA behavior flag to "None".

13. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I tried TrSSAA and it looks VERY blurry, maybe its some kind of bug, don't know. I think i just stick to plain MSAA =)

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TrSSAA. Note that SGSSAA is not the same thing as TrSSAA, and I've yet to see any game where enabling TrSSAA results in more blur than just MSAA.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

Very helpful post. Thank you. I will add this.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    UI scaling might not be an issue for recent games and AAA games. But there are quite a few that have issues that are un readable and or unplayably small.

Deus Ex Human Revolution,both Legend of Grimrock games, all Dawn of War II games,Gothic 4, come to mind for example.

Full Screen Exclusive mode.

And i'm not the only one having this issue, and it's been confirmed by someone actually digging into the game's rendering. And already has a fix.

It's not a fixed internal resolution. It changes based on the resolution.

It might not happen to everyone, but it's happening to a ton of people. And it's happened to me. So yes, the game does have a problem. SE mentioned even upfront that 4k (And by extension everything above 1080p) is not supported. So there you go.

It's not that soft from what i've seen.

Either way, just set the LOD bias to -1 if you are using 4xSGSSAA. Or whatever value you want. You can also play with the AA fix, which increases the sharpness in some games.

Sharpening is also another option. You can turn the sharpness option on your monitor or TV up as well. (The simplest way. Just remember the # set to).

Another option is to try maybe 0x000000C5 as an AA flag.

As others mentioned, TrSSAA is a different option in DX9, if the game offers MSAA support, or MSAA can be forced by itself. Just use "Transparency Supersampling" instead of "Sparse Grid Supersampling"

17. tesla2105

tesla2105 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Founders Edition
    Can someone tell me the resolution table for Toukiden 2? The game is locked at 1080p (Koei Tecmo's PC ports = :bonk:), and I would like to play this game in 1440p resolution. Guzz, are you still here?

18. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    tried this method w/ CE #3677 yesterday and doesnt worked anymore, maybe guzz have different method i'll be waiting :)

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    After some investigation I'd say that what the game does is stretch to a non 16:9 resolution from the closest 16:9 one. So for example if you have selected 2560x1600 then you'll have a stretch from 2560x1440 to that resolution but if you've selected 2560x1440 then you'll have exactly that resolution. Same is true for 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200 for example.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvnG3-JwLl4

Hadn't seen or encountered the pillarboxing.

I also, was not able to see ANY post processing AA when enabling and disabling the terrible SSAO in the game. I took screenshots and there was zero difference in aliasing.

I already refunded the game as I only bought it to help test it for something. This is the only shot of AO on/off that I still have
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/204322

There is no appreciable difference in IQ.

But then I find this http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=203877
    Showing that it does have some Post AA. Which begs,why the hell is it tied to the AO setting of all things??? Why didn't it work for me? Was it the resolution bug? (I was using Windowed mode), does it just not activate in that section of the game or ?

And oh HEY another inconsistent TK port. What a surprise!

FFS

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017