The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I have actually used the Step Up program. Back in April, before the 1080 release, I upgraded to an EVGA 980 TI FTW. When the 1080's were released, initially, there was a step up to the 1080 SC for a very short time and then the 1080 ACX 3.0 reference Gaming. After one day, the SC disappeared and the step up options became the founders edition, the EVGA blower style and the Reference ACX 3.0. Under normal circumstances, the reference designs are the ones that are part of step up program. I did see about a 25% increase from the 980 TI FTW to the 1080 ACX 3.0. The idea is that they get you into the new generation card with the increases in performance that come with them. There is no SC for SC or FTW for FTW in all the years that I have been buying EVGA. The step up program is a win / win. They use the old cards that are stepped up for RMA replacements and B stock...and you get the new generation. A step up from a 1080 FTW to the reference 1080 TI or Founders is going to net you about a 22% performance increase. I am in the queue for the Founders, however I would much prefer the ICX version of reference should it become available.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I understood it to be that you could step up from the 1080 Ti FE to the next better model, ie the 1080 ACX most likely.... not to the top of the line FTW model.

3. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    You are limited to ONE stepup. You cannot step up, and step up again. If you have the ACX or ICX version of any 1080, you can step up to the TI Founders, right now. Perhaps in a few weeks, EVGA will release a reference ICX cooled version of the TI. They have to release their AIB cards to find out.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Correct, it's one step up only. I have the EVGA founders edition and might consider stepping up to the next in line AIB model once they are out. It really depends on how much more the price is. The performance is excellent @ 4K even at stock, so I really don't think I "need" a AIB version unless I OC it.

5. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    The only reason I am even contemplating waiting for the ICX version is that I did the ACX to ICX upgrade...and frankly, my 1080 SC2 never exceeds 53C no matter how I overclock it or how hot it gets in Texas...and right now...mid 80's. My original SC would hit 63C. Even that one was cool. I have good airflow in my system, so the FE TI might do the trick...I just want to keep the card under
    80C...what temps do you get?

6. dizzin9

dizzin9 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  8. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Mid 70's around 55% fan speed running Doom uncapped. If I cap to 60FPS at 4K, temps and fan speed are a bit lower.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I just ran the Hitman Absolution benchmark:

1080p it only hits 56C on stock fan profile.
    4K it hits 76C on stock fan profile.

It has reach 84C a couple of times after gaming (ESO) at 4K for an hour or two. When it hits 84C the fans ramp up noticeably and it pushes the temps back into the 70s for quite awhile.... It boosts to ~1890-1900 at stock.

I just set the fan to a fixed 40% and ran the same benchmark again at 4K. It only hit 67C this time and is completely inaudible at that fan speed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

11. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    so I guess the best thing for me to do is call EVGA to find out for sure if I can get a better custom heatsink model next week.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So the ASUS Strix is available for preorder in Sweden though at the insane price of almost €1000. The Gigabyte card costs 150€ less :D

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe is anybody going for the Asus cards at all? What brands are you guys getting (better said, what cooler do you opt for)?

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the temp also! If I may ask, what tweaks did you apply in AB or smthg so far, or did the card boost to 2050 out of the box?

Damn.... and there I was telling myself I shouldn't get the Ti + block before I didn't fix my bike (or buy a new one) so I do something for my health... now I'm all -> :infinity:

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think my offset was 160 on core and maybe 100 on memory. I didn't really spend much time doing it, I'll screw around with it more tonight. I think you can get up to like 400 on the memory and 175/180 on the core.

Power/Temp limits were maxed.

My idle temp is 30c which IIRC is better than my 980 but I'm pretty sure I didn't install my 980 block correctly so lol

18. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Probably the Msi gtx 1080ti gaming x or the seahawk version

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm going back to MSI so the Gaming X this time please :)
    Would want to try the SeaHawk but it's too expensive.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah my idle temps on the 980s definately is higher than 30°C, and I think I did well mounting them :D

Nice to see that there's so much space on the VRAM, although I'd wish for more the other way around, ofc.
    So an offset of 160 would mean something like 1890 standard, not too bad.

hehe I'm still waiting to see if anybody buys Asus :D
    Thanks for feedback guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.