Does AMD have a Quad Channel 16 Core / 32 Thread CPU in the works?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2017.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I can't help but facepalm when people ask anything gaming related for a CPU like this. Even the Ryzen 7s aren't a good fit for gamers (great CPUs, but get a Ryzen 5 instead).

This CPU is just a desktop version of one of the Opterons AMD is planning to release. That being said, what confuses me is how exactly quad-channel memory is supposed to be achieved. Unless there's something I'm not understanding, this would require a new chipset (X390?) or else the CPU will either be stuck in dual-channel or (in a more likely scenario) not work at all.

I vaguely remember seeing one of AMD's roadmaps around a year ago where socket AM4 was going to be relatively short-lived, where after a year or two, AM4+ was going to be released. Assuming these 16-core chips will in fact exist at consumer-level, they're probably going to be apart of this AM4+ socket.

2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Fender178
    yes. so 64C/128T running on 2TB ram, no problemo..

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The article states it would be a different socket and chipset, x399

I'm confused at what you're trying to do here, jab at MSI?

What they show you in that video is an Athlon X4 950, which is an AM4 chip, so....?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Hilbert's future specs:

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
    Processor: Ryzen R9 2100X/i7 8900K
    Mainboard: X399
    Memory: 16GB
    Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
    PSU: 1200 Watt

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    exactly^

damn it seems AMD really is back, ryzen 5 will most likely do to intel's mainstream lineup what 7 did to the X99 platform, about the same performance, at half the price or less its just insane

so intel only has 2 options: magically solve the process shrinking dilemma and come back with sandy bridge v2 or do a price war, either way consumers win, but I hope the later comes true for a longer term solution

7. Relayer

Relayer Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX3870 512
    Not everyone is only, or even mostly, interested in gaming performance. Some of us do make use of intensive multi thread CPU tasks. Like rendering, for example. Or having multiple productivity apps running simultaneously.

Personally I run C4D, PS, and Unwrap3D together with Polytrans in the background. Even Rysen is an awesome valued product for me. A 16C/32T proc for $1K (or less) would be jean creamin good. ;)

8. arakisb

arakisb Guest

GPU:
    vega
    Most definitely, Hilbert, and thank you for asking.

9. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Anyone with a 6950x interested on upgrading to this 16core AMD?

10. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    I was really holding out hope for an announcement like this, only for a new platform which would also support Ryzen. I'd have loved to go with AMD for my next build in autumn, but although the Ryzen processors would be a great fit for me, I find the X370 platform way too limited to be of use in anything but a pure gaming PC.

32 usable 3.0 PCIe lanes is basically the minimum requirement for me (x16 for the GPU, x4x2 for M.2 and x8 for an HBA) and frankly I was extremely disappointed when AMDs top desktop chipset was revealed to be less well endowed than Intel's Z270. And while the rumoured new platform sounds very appealing, a 16 core chip with low clock speed is really of no great interest.

So sadly I can see me heading for yet another Intel build, but with a little luck the upcoming Skylake-X will at least be significantly less expensive than it would have been without AMDs comeback.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Sorry,wrong section. O:)

12. amdguru

amdguru Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX ROG RX 480 x2
    What seems unlikely to me is the LGA Package. I can believe AMD will actually do a HEDT platform, but just not completely change, and a major change it would be, the socket to LGA. I would prefer LGA to PGA, but don't see it happening. Unless the Opterons are already LGA, I haven't looked.

Also, I would hope these things actually overclock well. Don't want a cpu running at 2.9 GHz, lmao. Even 3.5 GHz would suck, for games, anyway.

Another thing I don't understand is why AMD would release this AFTER releasing a lower-end Summit Ridge platform. When this releases, many will have already built a SR system and probably won't want to throw it away, or try selling the motherboard/cpu anyway, just to buy a more expensive motherboard and $1,000 cpu. There is a reason you try to release the more expensive stuff first.

I've been beating AMD up the past month on social media due to the weak X370 core logic. That made me very mad. I didn't understand why they would release a HEDT cpu, but make the rest of the system just a main stream platform. So I've been saying I will go Intel's Basin Falls with that new X299 core logic when it arrives at IDF in August. However, I would choose AMD over Intel if this new HEDT platform actually makes it to market. Regardless, I'm building a new HEDT platform, that can be from AMD or Intel, but it's happening. I'm done with these little main stream platforms like my Sunrise Point platform with my little Core i7 6700k. He's a cute little guy, but I need something much more powerful. Those Ryzens blow it away in many applications and even keep up with the single threaded gaming, as long as it's 2K and above. Since I have two ASUS STRIX ROG RX 480 GPUs, and two ASUS ROG 27" MG278Q 2K monitors, Ryzen would work well for me. Now to just get the rest of the HEDT platform around it.

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I think opterons are lga

14. amdguru

amdguru Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX ROG RX 480 x2

I second everything you said. I too was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED when I learned of the X370 core logic. AND what's with still using PCIe 2.0!!! Also, did you notice there are NO high-end X370 motherboards?! The best is the ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, and it's VERY LIMITED! Whereas the Z270 platform has the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero, Code, Apex, Formula and Extreme! So where's the Crosshair VI Formula, or at least the Apex? Because the X370 core logic sucks, the motherboard manufactures when cheap and limited on all the motherboards. However, this could be also due to them already working on HEDT X399 boards due out later this year. All the weak X370 boards could be a sign this thing actually is happening!!! OH YEAH BABY!!!

A HEDT cpu in a main stream platform???!!! Didn't make sense to me, but now maybe it does. I can see AMD releasing a new HEDT platform, since Lisa has said repeatedly that she wants to compete at the high end of the desktop market. A new HEDT platform would allow her to do that and have a competitive workstation solution for the market as well.

Let's hope AMD delivers.

15. amdguru

amdguru Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX ROG RX 480 x2
    Ok, then I can see them being LGA. GOOD! I hope this happens! Now I really can't wait for Computex!!!

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Please I understand the whole "concept". What I am saying, and apparently not clear enough, does AMD want to stat churning out $1000 Cpu's with no clear path to selling them? To suddenly drop out of the sky with server cpu's and expect all the Intel server customers to magically switch over to theirs, especially now since Ryzen's ho hum debut, is not a well thought out business model. In the Opteron days AMD model was to undercut the competition in price. At $1000 a cpu AMD would have zero edge, other than perceived processing power to sell their server cpu's.
    And btw this topic is nothing new:http://www.anandtech.com/show/10581/early-amd-zen-server-cpu-and-motherboard-details-codename-naples-32cores-dual-socket-platforms-q2-2017

17. amdguru

amdguru Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX ROG RX 480 x2
    I want to repeat something I started above. I believe this is happening because of the weak X370 motherboards. There are NO high-end motherboards for Summit Ridge! Maybe the reason all the motherboard manufactures went cheap and limited with the X370 boards, is because they are all already working on the high-end X399 ones???!!!

I actually see this happening and the weak motherboards is your clue. YES!!!! This makes me very happy!

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It'd make sense if this used the same socket as the server ones, cheaper than having 3 sockets on the go.

19. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    Well, personally I'll be happy only if we get a new, decent chipset which supports the current crop of CPUs. As in one offering quad channel RAM and 40ish PCIe 3.0 lanes. Other than those I have no need for more stuff than what is already on offer.

What I absolutely, definitively have zero use for is a 16-core CPU running at ~3GHz. 6 or 8 cores at >4.5GHz will serve me infinitely better in almost everything I do.