Chris Robert's "Star Citizen" to use Vulkan exclusively - for best interoperability!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by vase, Mar 19, 2017.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7581676/#Comment_7581676

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/star-citizen-to-go-vulkan-exclusively.html

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Another partly engine rewrite. yaaaaaaaaaaayy

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That is hillarious!!

So after riding the dx12 hype train all this time, they are dropping it and switching to Vulkan, although they do not support either.
    :funny:

Just for the record, I prefer Vulkan over dx12, and if I had the choice Id like to see more Vulkan games, more than anything,
    but this... this is pure PR based on new promises and failing to fulfill the old ones.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Don't forget the Mantle port!

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Vulkan is basically mantle so they kept their word :)

...sorta

7. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    switching from dx12 to vulkan or vice versa has a lot less implications than porting between high-level apis

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cool. I'd like to see more Vulkan/GL games too.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No, not GL just Vulkan. ;)

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This guy is a super-troll.
    In 2015. he said they want to support Unix. I sh1tu not. UNIX!

From my standpoint, we would like to use Dx12 as well as OpenGL Next, Vulkan – we want to support Unix. Our servers run on Unix, so our codebase works on Unix as well as straight Windows, but the problem we have is we don’t have a graphics driver yet

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dunno man ... Doom was pretty good. But yeah, Vulkan should be better.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They should focus on gameplay and make a deadline... /sarcasm

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Some say that somewhere under the different Star Citizen modules, you can still hear CryEngine scream.

14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    So yet another excuse for Robbing Space Industries to not release a finished product, nice!

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lets face it guys, this game and it's developers will always be a hype train passenger. Just look at the posts that the folks here have made in which the game has said it will follow this route or go that route and I am willing to bet that each of these claims where made by Roberts at around a time that the specific focus of the promise (e.g Unix implementation) just happened to be gaining a bit of traction within the gaming community.

I am not even going to jump on the bandwagon of claiming this is yet another excuse for why the game will never get a release. I just find it interesting that the development of this game seems to be less around about finding and fixing a goal and then working towards it and more about finding a developing trend within gamers and then making grand all sweeping statements about how SC is going to incorporate it in to the game.

I am assuming that some grand stand statement about VR implementation has been made about this game, probably around a year or so ago when the hype train was setting off for VR and before it came to a screeching halt at 'a load of bullsh*t terminus.'

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Alot of negativity here for something that is truly awesome.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They have been makign changes so that they can support low level apis properly. They haven't dropped anything since it was never there.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Totally!
    Reminds me of that Love Letter to gaming communitty from Borderlands developer.
    Although that might be horribly wrong comparison, because Borderlands was pretty decent, but its the same buttlicking PR:

Hmm lets see what everyone is fapping to, and then we make a big deal about our commitment to that feature

If you're going to add support for xyz, just fvukingdoit, instead of writing us love letters.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    right... for all their talk about low level apis, sc has exactly the same amount of Dx12, Mantle and Vulkan lines of code in place - - > ZERO

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Creating a half arsed DX12 rendered isn't impossible to do in short period of time. Making the engine so that you can get the maximum out of those apis is another story. Truth be told we do not know how far they are with Vulcan. Just because it's not in the current version doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything.

Also it's not that big deal to support both APIs though if you have Vulkan support, DX12 support is kinda pointless.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017