HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Hello,

I have tried different settings for a game I played called 'Alliance of Valiant Arms' (currently marked by Enmasse in my region). It is an Unreal Engine 3 based game, normally used in DX9, although I have been able to force it to use DX10 successfully.

So far, the best AO setting I can find is the "0x00000020 (Mass Effect)". This works well, except it definitely has some flickering issues, and seems to be a HUGEEEE performance hit. I know that the performance hit may be expected, but it is around 50 - 120 FPS different, and seems not ideal for the game. I have tried messing around with it myself, but cannot seem to find a better solution.

Do you have any possible ideas?

2. PaperBen

PaperBen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
    Hi,

Have you test running the game as original DX9 with AO enabled ? Also try to use a different level in AO settings (Performance/Quality/High quality).

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Don't use dx10, try other UE3 flags. Also, monitor your GPU make sure it's not overheating or the GPU frequency isn't being dropped for whatever reason.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I would say check GPU usage with Afterburner, since custom HBAO+ profiles can sometime tank usage due to the way the effect is rendered.
    Only an alternative profile would fix this really.
    Try the standard "0x0000002F" profile.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That too, forgot about it.

6. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Path of Exile

The flag in the list is bad, it pops in and out and has noise in motion. Path of Exile also has a DX11 option now. I tested every flag in Inspector for both clients, and this is the best flag combo to use: 0x000F0011.

Without tweaks, DX11 HBAO+ is much worse, I recommend using DX9 which is nearly flawless as far as I can tell (there is bleeding, which isn't a big deal in this game, no popping in and out, and very stable in motion). Figured I'd include the best working flag for anybody that wants to tweak it just in case.

No AO (DX9): https://abload.de/img/pathofexile02.19.20171jsld.png
    HBAO+ (DX9): https://abload.de/img/pathofexile02.19.2017pmsks.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  7. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Also, regarding DX8, the only DX8 game I still play is PSOBB, and the Nvidia Control Panel can not detect when it is active at all. However, if I use the ENB D3D8 to D3D9 converter (http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm), Nvidia Control Panel can detect it and force anti aliasing successfully (and in my laptop's case, use the dedicated GPU as well). I'd say it's worth testing out with more games to make sure it isn't an issue specific to that game.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Interesting. What is the .exe that is running listed when using DX8? Is it something generic, or is it running as like a .bin or something?

9. Styx

Styx Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GPU
    Is it possible to force HBAO on OpenGL games through Nvidia Profile Inspector?

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not without a wrapper.

11. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Any for ultimate marvel vs capcom 3?

12. obsidiangrvmind

obsidiangrvmind Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    I would love to know as well. I've found that the AO flags, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Tom Clancy's EndWar work for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I feel Endwar is the most optimal but definitely not perfect.

13. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    interesting i'm trying those

14. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Anything for Nier Automata? Ingame SSAO sucks

15. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Also looking for this. I tried MXAO in ReShade but it does not work for me.

16. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I agree, hopefully someone can help!

17. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Disable SSAO and MSAA to get access to the depth buffer. I'd prefer normal HBAO+ since I like the MSAA and couldn't get any of the Reshade AO's to look good but it doesn't seem like anyone will feed me flags :)

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd test it when I have time if I had the game. Not much point in me buying it ATM, I wish them success though. I love Platinum and hope the success of this gets SE to make a PC port of the first game.

I would just suggest starting at an easily repeatable scene that has the same camera angle every time you load.

Then cycle through running the game with every DX10+ flag in the driver. (Everything from the Assassin's Creed 1 flag and down)

19. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Seems like a lot of work for this lazy guy but I'll try a few. Problem with that though is when you load the game up your character is leaving a pod thing so the camera is facing a wall!

20. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I played around a bit with MXAO, it does work just fine for me in this game. I haven't necessarily reached "final" settings and this is the first time I'm trying to configure it by myself, but I prefer the game with it rather than without. Some objects really blend into each other without MXAO it seems, it helps quite a bit since it highlights their 3D shape.

Some comparisons:
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203851 (resized from 4K)
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203846 (crop at 4K)

screenshotcomparison apparently doesn't like 4K, which is why I had to resort to resizing and cropping.

I also tried some HBAO+ flags, though not all of them. I went through everything from Resident Evil 5 (0x000C0000) to Metal Gear Solid V (0x00180000) and couldn't find anything worth using. Some of them show some very weak, very low quality AO while others halve my frame rate and still look terrible, so none were usable so far. I got bored testing flags for now, maybe somebody else can do some of the rest that I haven't tried and let everyone know if they find one working well. :D