New processors will only work with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 16, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no, no we do not that show was great first season, 2nd season atrocious

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Considering the amount of people who treat gaming as the ultimate deciding factor over whether a product is good or not, I think those who are saying "maybe I'll switch to Linux" are going to have a bad time, especially those who haven't extensively used it before.

Don't get me wrong, I actually have a Linux install dedicated to gaming. I also use it at work, and it's my primary OS on my main computer (not the one in my profile). My home server is also Linux based, as well as a robot I'm developing. Most of my Steam games are Linux compatible, and the vast majority of them run smooth. But, many ports are sloppy and there are a lot of AAA titles that aren't ported. Wine doesn't make for a good alternative to Windows. SteamOS is a solid step forward for gaming on Linux, but I get the impression it's still incomplete (I haven't used it personally).

The worst thing you can do when switching to another OS is expect it to be a drop-in replacement to your old one. You're not just going to be changing binary compatibility and the overall appearance; almost everything changes. Most people hate change. If you're thinking of switching to Linux for a gaming PC and you hated Windows 8, you are very likely to hate Linux too. W8 wasn't really that bad of an OS, but it was too different for people's tastes; they dislike the unfamiliar. You could even attribute it to racism or xenophobia!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can see hack which will make Windows Update Service believe that you have older CPU...
    ...it is creeping around corner.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    When did MS actually pull the plug on the free upgrade? Not when they said the free upgrade was officially over but when it actually ended.

5. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Software is in such a sad and sorry state of existence today thanks to Microsoft, did anyone else see where they are now going to force you to download updates on metered connections?

6. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    You can still use eligible Win7/8 keys to upgrade to 10 for free. They didn't close down their "registration servers" or whatever system is responsible for turning your old lincense into a hybrid key.

The reason is they just want to catch everyone.

7. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    I have made a test myself with two ten year old Amilo Pro Laptops (they had Windows Vista on them), they were identical 100 %, the same CPU, RAM capacity etc. On one of them I have installed Windows 7 & Pro x64 bit and Windows 10 Pro x64 bit on the other one. The result was that Windows 10 was going as fast, if not faster as Windows 7 in the apps like Chrome Firefox, MPC , WMP, Adobe Reader, Office etc. Both systems were stable 100 % without any sudden BSOD , or any other kind of a problem.
    I can say to everyone that calls Windows 10 a "crap" and "complete fail", first to try it out at least for a year and then to say anything about Windows 10.
    By the way I use Windows 10 myself from the day when it came out and in the beginning it was not polished completely, but now today it is much better in speed and better visually than Windows 7, because I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed on my laptop on the same SSD.

8. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Windows 10 is spyware for the CIA.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    I would consider running 10 if it would actually look like a 21st century os, not like win 3.1
    Not even talking about messed up drivers for things like dedicated soundcards.
    I didn't spend 100$ on a card, and not able to use it, because MS cant get proper drivers out since 10 was released.
    That was how long ago? And still nothing..
    But im forced to switch? Right.
    Gonna install update packs like i do already, so wont leave 7 until ryzen and my SC are working properly on 10.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    You either need to seek medical help OR stop parroting nonsenses from the internet.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You've seen what 10 looks like, right?

3.1.... ?

Shouldn't you be looking at the cards manufacturer for drivers?

No

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Proper drivers are the responsibility of the hardware vendor, not Microsoft. Don't blame Microsoft because you have some crappy card that isn't supported by the company that made it.

This post just shows that some people want to blame Microsoft for every problem they have, even when it's somebody elses responsibility. :bang:

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Fine with me, Windows 10 runs butter smooth.

14. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Yep, typical corporate bullsh*t

15. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    As much as I liked Win7 I have to admit that Win10 is better. Everyone I know who has switched also agrees. People need to stop being stuck in their old ways or talking trash especially when they haven't even used it. I haven't even seen the metro screen in over a year now and I forgot it even existed.

16. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for proving that A LOT of people that bitch and whine actually do so because they are clueless. Your soundcard maker ****s on you yet it is microsoft's fault that you have no drivers. Others install everything they come across of and then it's windows' fault it takes half an hour to boot. Or when they have faulty hardware and windows bsods and somehow Gates should go to hell.

P.s next time use the $100 to buy a book about how computers work

17. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    I have one computer with 10 since release and the other with 7, I can't stand 10. Your point? Windows 10 is not an evolution to me, same goes to Windows 8 and 8.1, all of them are FAILED evolution to me.

There's a reason why people stayed on XP and stays on Windows 7, I'll move on when the next OS is 100% better than the previous which is not the case yet. I do not like how Microsoft is doing business and I do not like the way they are sharping up Windows.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m sorry but this BS can´t be legal, right??? A software maker can´t decide on what hardware is product can run just like that! If they don´t want to support older OSes, fine, but not providing updates to newer hardware because they want people to move to another OS is just criminal !!!
    The day a Linux can offer me the same gaming experience as Windows is gonna be one of the happiest days of my life.

19. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I agree, windows 10 should look better.

Icons looks incredibly outdated and knowing the hardware available this days, t could have a better looking option if you are not running on battery.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have you ever had someone keep trying to make you do something but you don't want to and each time they try it only makes you not want to do that thing even more..................................