Review: Ryzen 7 1700 processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You can buy pre binned, guaranteed to hit 5ghz 7700k from OcUK for example. They are all tested, delided and sold with a premium. OcUK guarantee that the cpu will hit 5ghz, at least. If not, you send it back, it comes with a full 1 year warranty from OcUK anyway, just like any other cpu you buy from them. Just to clear it up to no cool

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Like I mentioned eclap in my previous post OCUK just did what Dresdenboy and hard ocp and toms had to do to get that skylake 2.0 cpu to achieve that freq. Meaning that 90 percent of non-premium , non delided i7 7700k will not achieve those speeds like it was proven by many people on many forums that efectively stalled @ 4.9 ghz on water cooling

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Vast majority of users on this site are gamer's first with their PC's. Some do some light WS type stuff so in those scenarios you will see ryzen and 6800/6900k users (no one in their right mind should buy that abomination the 6950x).

Games will move towards more than 4 cores in the future but we will still need high IPC it seems as even that BF1 chart shows that. Look at the Sandybrige CPU's.

Man if Ryzen could have hit 4.5Ghz guaranteed it would have been a home run but as of now its a triple with no outs.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    And?

That doesn't change the fact that for a premium, a small one in my opinion, you can guarantee a 5ghz delidded 7700k from certain shops.

You keep arguing that not ALL can do that, so what? At worst they'll hit about 4.7-4.8 under decent cooling? Which is irrelevant anyway, since despite your ranting you can still buy the chips at a guaranteed frequency.

Ryzen is having problems with oc'ing, I expected that due to the core count anyway. We might see better results with their 4-6 core variants, but they're not launching until next month. Even if they do, I see no reason why they wont have the same strange gaming issues that their bigger brothers have.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    6900k can I think achieve 4.4 on all 8 cores and still cant beat the 5.0 ghz KL that being said no one buys a 8 core well most do not buy a 8 core for gaming , but like i said earlier zen is better @ gaming than KL is @ production.. And saying that a 499 bucks broadwell E (almost) HEDT lvl CPU a triple with no outs it just plain nonsense.. Going from 1080p to 1440p and 4k thus introducing the gpu bottleneck the KL 1800x,1700x,1700 would suffice

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're using oc'ing for an 8c vs 8c as an excuse, but an 8c Ryzen struggles to push past 4ghz with worse IPC. The reason people are using oc'ing as a thing for intel quads is due to IPC, which is king in certain scenarios (such as gaming). You're not thinking about your argument.

Almost every website including results shows the 7700K as better for gaming at STOCK values. Almost every website I've seen which shows the Ryzen chips vs intel 6-8 cores puts said Intel chips at STOCK VALUES. Intel is ahead in IPC, Ryzen meets Intel in that respect at what? Haswell level to be polite? Then there's the fact Intel OC's better from what we've seen so far.

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Excuse? The entire time zen was marketed against the 6900k and not skylake and later on kabylake but you are correct I am using the 8c vs 8c as an excuse and not the fact that zen 7 is a 8 core cpu that targets the broadwell E series that are actually a 10 core, 8 core and six core cpu-s (server/workstation /production), silly me..

It is a simple fact 99 percent of you here actually believed that a 8 core cpu will beat the i7 7700k @ 5.0 ghz in 1080p gaming (1440p and 4k it does not matter) in games and when that did not happen (surprise surprise) you went into the zen bashing spiral for a singular reason to to hide your own stupidity

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've never said that, I've yet to see anyone else claim that. I've seen you assume that to be true in order to make yourself feel better about your arguments, but that's another topic entirely.

You argued that 7700ks couldn't hit 5ghz often (not that they need to do that for gaming), it was pointed out you were wrong. It was pointed out that it wasn't difficult to buy chips capable of that for a small premium, which you then ignored. You keep changing the argument, but it's other people that are stupid, right?

Ever hear about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Do you mean 0.99% or 99%? You put a space before the "." and after the "." so you left me guessing. If you mean 99% of us believer that Ryzen would beat Kaby at gaming, I'll just assume you live in a little bubble of yours.

I'll do the bigger person thing and leave you to argue with yourself from now on.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I did type 99 percent , me a some others actually wrote against that idea form the day when Lisa SU demoed zen vs the 6900k in blender. As for i7 7700k i am 100 percent correct. If I buy KL from my re-tailer here where I live and not from OCUK for a premium that is already pre-binned , de-lided ect ect ect I have 0 guarantee that i will be able to achieve 5.0 ghz+

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Oh really? Shall we dig up all the prior topics in which people went insane over the cpu-z benchmarks and assumed that zen would in fact beat KL in gaming?

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    If you mean 99 % of us believed , you seem to like pointing out spelling mistakes

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So you're claiming 99% of people wont hit 5ghz?

If that were the case it'd be impossible for companies like OCUK to bin them. Nobody has argued that you could guarantee 5ghz with a random buy, only that it were possible and that you could guarantee it if you bought a binned CPU from the likes of OCUK.

I think you're getting confused.

Glad to see you edited the .99% thing out after being quoted for it, though.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What about the simple question of "what do I buy today that will live the longest"? To people with i3s, the Kaby i7 will be a revelation, but can any of you guys with quads seriously justify getting another quad?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Look at geekbench site at score distribution. You will notice clusters of different scores per CPU type. For some CPU top is around 5% of posted results. For others top may be 20%. And for some it may be 100% as they are not overclockable.

And even then those percentages are reported by tiny fraction of people owning those CPUs. Usually by people who run benchmark are ones who OC. And very few of those who do not OC run benchmarks.

When I run benchmark, I check where I am on ladder. But I realize that there is magnitude bigger crowd which lives on basic scores.
    - - - -
    Then there is good chance that Kaby reaches 5GHz, Even my chip can do it. But The Voltage... Not everyone will like that. I definitely did not and went down to 4,5GHz. My i5 will work long time after I get new CPU. Many 4,9GHz+ OC with high voltages will start having issues in 4~5 years, needing even higher Voltage or reduced clock. I saw it before many times.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The Silicon Lottery is claiming 59% of 7700k's hit 5.0 on 1.376V or lower.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, they claim it. With quite good MB and quite slow RAM (1x 16GB 2400MHz 15-15-15-35). And nearly 1.4V on core (just 10% Voltage bump).
    There is trade-off in performance.. One sacrificing performance gain from better memory subsystem to gain performance from CPU OC.
    But how many people will get CPU to 5GHz and have two or 4 memory sticks at good speed?

Same thing is currently problem for Ryzen. But at least siliconlottery(SL) tests them with 2 memory sticks.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Three things.

1. The Maximus Hero is the lowest end Maximus board from ASUS at $225 not really a stretch for most users. In fact is one of the most popular motherboards for KL.

2. That is 1.376V or less.

3. Those are fairly tight timings for DDR4 and highest speed officially supported by KL.

Side note where do you see them say it's only one DIMM not two?