AMD Gives Pointers On How to Improve Ryzen 1080p game performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Configuration, the coming bios optimizations, and developer-implemented optimization will all play a part in Ryzen's ultimate gaming performance.

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Hey, they missed the major point - jump through hoops.

I would have suggest a much easier workaround, but AMD lovers won't love it.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Special props for establishing a base line performance by miss-configuring their own CPU via pre-installed/old game config :wanker:

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Core parking is Off by default in both power plans - High performance and Balanced - since Win8.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I knew core parking would finally come up.

I have core parking off on even my step sons 1055t rig, my main rig and even my server with 16 threads. Dual Xeon X5550s.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    "Play in 1440p."

Lmao, just kidding of course!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    AMD employee of the month bonus incoming.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Firmware update? No big deal.
    Memory picking? Doesn't sound weird.
    Power plan? Always at max performance here, wouldn't need any addition adjustment.
    Observer effect? Well, that's annoying. How should you properly OC (next step) if you shouldn't monitor?
    Overclocking. No brainer, the chip does it himself, and probably most poeple that want to know enough to do so OC anyway.

All in all, nothing out of the ordinary to do. Honestly, no big deal.

You do realise that "small budget" nets you still as much as for a midrange Intel system?

1800X (500$) + X370 MB (200$) = 700$
    7700K (350$) + Z270 MB (250-300$) = 650$

Honestly? This does not look like a budget build to get, honestly. And the 180X is compared to the 7700K in so many discussions that I just use it here too. The average desktop user gets a few more cores, agreed, but does the average desktop user make good use of them?

What we have seen so far does not do much to prove that Ryzen is making things substantially cheaper for the average gamer. I'd more say, once the quad cores come around we will have to see how they perform, what their pricing is, and then we can talk about budget gaming again. Until now we have little information about AMD's lower end lineup. Except that they are supposed to be released with lower stock clocks than their big siblings.

And you are right, it is not relevant to this thread. It's not even the one and only truth. See above, either it's wrong or we don't know yet. Take off your pink glasses fellow guru ;)

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

6900K (1000$) + X99 mb (250-300$) = 1250-1300$

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD are shooting themselves in the foot with PR attempts like this! Asking their users to have all this trouble for the cpu to deliver proper performance is beyond stupid!!!:bang: Who the hell is in charge of AMDs PR department?

And to make things better, we have this kind of amazing tips like:

Ensure there are no background CPU temperature or frequency monitoring tools when performance is essential. Real-time performance measurement tools can have an observer effect that impacts performance, especially if the monitoring resolution (>1 sample/sec) is increased.

What´s the point of having an 8 core cpu if AMD tell us that using some programs are detrimental for performance!...

Then we have a long and complicated list of how to setup RAM properly.

And editing games files also seems lots of fun...

AMD is ruining what should be a turining point for them with this kind of stuff... Someone make them stop!

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Going by your recent very anti-AMD, pro-Intel posts, how much are Intel paying you? Or are you just trying to justify your recent purchase?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think there PR department is the tech department?

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    You sir just made my day :)

FYI he does it for nvidia too

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    What part of what he said isn't true?

The AMD Ryzen 7 lineup, the plain old 1700 in particular, are looking like amazing buys - It's been a very successful, and complete launch. Not for the few glum people who always go after the highest numbers of course, but for everyone else, it's been fantastic. (aside from being unable to buy it because they've sold out).

After coming on the back of the hilarious dual core i3 7350K, £180 CPU from Intel (never mind the platform/cooling costs which make the purchase just, nonsense), it is truly hard to fathom how people can be anything less than very pleased with a full-fat 8 core 16 thread with good IPC and nice power consumption for £320.

Perhaps it's actually those people, speaking against sense and consumer choice whomst've'd are on the payroll, eh, or more likely it's just so easy to lose track of what's best for you in a world of conspicuous consumption. Will I sacrifice a few fps to otherwise crush a price inflated 4c i7 everywhere else I need moar CPU? Yes, absolutely yes. And so will practically everyone else.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm a bit confused that there was nothing said by AMD there about the forthcoming Windows 10 updates to the scheduler that is supposed to fix a lot of the 1080p gaming performance - maybe they don't know when it's gonna happen, & maybe it's not gonna happen, who knows!

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    because its slower in gaming maybe?

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This does not make me happy:
    Best performance per $ around here was 2x 16GB DDR4-3000. Price bump to 3200MHz is nearly 50%.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    for every one of my "anti" AMD post there is a pro AMD post. Where you notice me being "anti" AMD is where I mention gaming. In everything else, Ryzen is good. I'm a gamer though. So I choose to go with Intel. Is that a problem?

Well, if AMD gpu department decided to pull their finger out, I'd gladly buy their gpus. I'm saying this as former AMD Crossfire user, which I loved, my gpu history is about 50% Nvidia, 40% AMD/ATI (including top end cards) and the rest is other (3Dfx etc). You're fairly new on here so I'll excuse your lack of knowledge on my gpu history.

Please tell me one good reason why I should buy an AMD gpu atm on my budget.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    He's all over the Ryzen threads with this.
    When I looked at his rig I loled.

So is the 6800k and 6900k costing up to 3 times more and I don't see anyone bashing them.

Looking at the one you have now I'd say you shouldn't. Get a cheap 1080 or if you can afford it go all in for a 1080Ti. I doubt Vega will bring anything new and revolutionary. That said, I defend Ryzen is the best CPU since Sandy Bridge.