Windows Vista Users Given 30-Day Notice For Support Termination

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Someone uses Vista? was the heavier OS ever xD i upgraded from P4 2.40 to Sempro 1250 to use it, w7 saved us 3 year later xD

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Finally moved the wife to 7 from Vista about 6 months ago.I know but baby steps.

4. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    Windows 7 is just Vista 2.0. Vista was a great operating system imho, just misunderstood. Its main fallacy was it took too much HD space for that era.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Dont forget Ram requirements. Vista would barely function alright with 1GB ram. Needed at least 2GB ram to game on in on even Beta 2.

People were pissed their XP devices didnt work right away with Vista, Nvidia failed hard with drivers on Vista with Geforce 8 cards at launch.

Vista removed Creatives monopoly on the sound card market.

Dell, HP, etc were shipping computers with Vista that had 512mb single chamber ram and were complete **** slow because of that.

6. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It benefits from a faster CPU as well. Vista got a bad rep because of Dell and others shipping that junk. Always funny to see people slamming Vista and praising 7 when 7 shares the same kernel.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The gf was running Vista basic and I basically told her she had no choice, it was getting upgraded to 7, asked her if she wanted Vista back on it and got a loud NO! :D

Actually the same machine is running 10 now, well too

8. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I'm one of those people who hated XP (SP2) with a passion. Was afraid to try Vista in 2006-2007 because of word of mouth. People kept bashing and hating Vista, so I was hesistant.

By 2008 I already had 4 GB DDR2, an Intel Q9550 and recently bought an Nvidia 9600 GT 512 MB. Hesentatnly, I installed Vista (pre-SP1). I loved it!

Much prettier, more capable, more stable, and I had dramatically less issues with Vista pre-SP1/SP1/SP2 than I ever had with XP SP2.

I won't lie, I loved W7 as well, given it improved quite a lot of things from Vista, but really, all the people adoring W7, 90% of its features were already there in Vista since 2006.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Some features maybe, not stability, that's what 7 brought to the table, along with being less of a resource hog

10. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Vista was a very bad upgrade for a lot of computers running XP, it was just too hoggy for lower/mid end computers back then, when the low end really was still very anemic, and it did have some infuriating issues - it was the file copy bug that did it for me in the end - thankfully windows 10 runs well even on the very lowest tier of hardware. I have probably sold my soul to some shady organisation by using it, but eh, I send all my top secret messages via Pigeon anyhow.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    meh i guess i gona have break down in install win7 or or win 10 on that 10 year old laptop that is still running it.

12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That's basically how it worked here too lol I upgraded her processor/mobo and told her since a reinstall was going to happen she was getting 7 period.She likes it better which faster gear probably had something to do with it as well.

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    The network file transfer?If that's what you mean SP1 solved that on Vista for me.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Good way to prove 7 is better, pair it with faster hardware :D

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I never ran Vista on any computers that I owned. I remember setting up an old Core 2 Duo E8400 based Hp PC with 8Gb of PC6400 DDR2 memory and Vista ran like a champ. And that was with all the Fixes that Vista has had (ex SP2).

Yeah Vista based OEM PCs ran like crap and you can blame the OEM manufacturers for cheeping out on the specs like having a good Processor and not enough RAM. So to me both MS the OEM manufacturers and the hardware manufactures of the drivers for making Vista a failed experience.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My laptop came with Vista basic, got it home, powered it up, after 20 minutes and it still hadn't booted I wiped it and installed a pre-release Windows 7, booted in seconds after that

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah the instant i saw vista i refused to put on any personal pc of mine, that laptop that still has vista buisness it isnt mine and it rarely used at that do to how slow it is , so i never bothered to change it to win 7 butvista support ending so i mine as well update to win 7, well soon as I get the urge to care enough to do so.

Vista takes way to long to boot and resource hog dont cover it special when laptop only has 2 cores and 2 gb ram. moment the scvhost.exe is runing checks for updates that 2 gb got gobbled up, seeing it about 1gb sitting on desktop and the svchost.exe process for WU checks will eat 1 gb+ till it done. and seeing that process to forever to finish even when it worked proper the computer was completely useless when it started and this is after removing all the sony preloaded running crap that was on it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea my laptop was single core with 2GB RAM :D (Upgraded the CPU to dualcore later)

I don't know how they dare to ship machines like that, they are unusable with all the OEM bloat trying to load up during OOBE and first boot

You should be wanting your customer to see your software and like it, not to see your software and know it is the reason their machine isn't working properly

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I must admit I never had any trouble running Vista only reason I upgraded at the time I wanted to try out 7 and never went back.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I took 1 look at vista and was like nope, then I saw how bad it performance was and was hell no it anit touching my personal systems, I hate it more then I hate win 8 that saying something seeing i really hate 8, win me might been one there worse OS's but atlest it didnt perform like dog.