US snow storm of the century

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Netherwind, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Looks like it's gathering up to be a storm of biblical proportions! 60cm or 2 feet of snow is said to fall within 24hrs. If I understood correctly it will hit NYC so IRL Division Survival Mode might be a reality ;) Jokes aside, anyone living in the wake of the storm that can provide us with images or videos?

Apparently this will be the biggest blizzard in over 120 years.

Nor'easter:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/14/us/northeast-winter-weather/index.html

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Send some over the pond, we got nothing this winter, getting less and less each year since 2011 (2010 was last good snowfall)

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I think the last really really good snow fall here in Western PA would be the Super Storm of 1993. Were we got 20+ inches very quickly. I think after that would be February of 2003. Maybe this the storm of the Century for places like New York but the rest of the U.S the storm of the Century is the Super Storm of 1993 where places where you do not think of snow fall got like 20+ inches. Places like Georgia for example. Florida got tornadoes and heavy thunder storms.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Not entirely sure why you'd want crippling snow like that again, i wasn't a fan of the random bus services due to snow, people not coming in to work, my heating bill going through the roof and compacted snow ice on the ground for like 3 months

Oh, and my city ran out of grit many times and didn't have the amount of snow clearing vehicles needed to cope

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same happened here, I got stranded at work, well, outside my closed work with no buses or taxis available and no answer from my boss, for 2 hours in the snow

But once a year for a few days / week or two ~ isn't the end of the world, something to look forward to IMO, if it lasted for months then I'd agree but a few days is just fun

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Snow storm of the centrury, again? Can't have anything to do with global warming and climate change. Because that doesn't exist, and if it did, it wouldn't be caused by human pollution. And that's fact. :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, just make sure you don't get hit by sliding buses and not get stuck in the snow outside. Stay safe ;)

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Yep...I will never forget that 1993 storm...from down here to up there everyone got hit hard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Was supposed to get a foot. Got 2 inches.

A couple years ago we got like 4 feet of snow over a few days time.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I heard this on Swedish radio so it's absolutely possible that some information got lost in the translation ;) Jokes aside now when I check CNN it does say that it wasn't as bad as predicted.

We never get extreme weather where I live but Stockholm did get a lot of snow several days in a row. And funny thing is that it's always "panic, anarchy and death" when this happens. Northern Sweden on the other hand copes perfectly well with snow since it's perpetually on the ground for several months.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The century? They just had this happen 2 or 3 years ago. It's normal. Lol.

11. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Can someone explain to me what that is suppose to mean?

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

hahaha^ reading that and then seeing your avatar made laugh my a** off...:banana:

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah we need some good heavy snow falls, that way i get overtime on point duty on nightshift, sitting around in a warm bothy playing cards and going out to melt the snow from the points and oil them, then back to the bothy....lovely easy overtime cash. :)

Come on you bugger, snow for me, snow and snow and snow and snow. lol

15. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    News needs viewers so they'll make anything sound sensational to get you to tune in.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

News media in general yes^.....When it comes to weather.....> I always heed the warnings.

17. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Agree to disagree. I'll heed official weather alerts from the appropriate sources. I'll typically ignore the general media outlets and their fanfare that they use to generate reviews.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

I live in the deep south so the first warning of bad weather we get is a big boom of thunder/lightning followed by high winds = Get the f**k somewhere safe....Now!

[​IMG]

and then you see!

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  19. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    It's a bit of a mess outside at the moment but nothing like the 50 centimeters promised. The storm started out well from what I saw before I went to bed, but from what I heard on my bedroom windows throughout the night much of the precipitation came down as wind whipped sleet and ice. The major snow fell north and west of here.

20. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    The local media here have been reporting on this for a few days and the weather channel is in geek mode. Nothing new, ratings...

So far, nothing compared to a few years ago when we had a full blown blizzard with -20 (F) temps with lots of snow, as well as a few significant lake-effect storms. We've only got 6-8 inches of snow, but closer to the coast they have more. The wife and I are honestly surprised that schools are closed here (but are happy since we're both teachers).

Hope everyone closer to the coast is safe and warm.