Nvidia GeForce 378.78 Driver Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    There was a driver review that Keper gains over the years, i think it was on Hardocp

Edit

Computerbase
    https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/geforce-treiber-test/2/#diagramm-the-witcher-3

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. xermit

xermit Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980ti @ 1470
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (OGSE mod) - unplayable with these drivers, horrible stuttering. Turning shadercache off doesn't help. It's sad that nvidia loses compatibility with good old games. Rolled back to 376.09 - OK.

3. Spamkebab72

Spamkebab72 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour OC
    Been ages since I've posted, had to re-register due to old age/memory leak as in, forgot all my log in details.

Anyhow, I doubt I've been missed haha

I used Rise of the Tomb Raider to test these drivers as I have never had any improvement over DX11 while running in DX12. Usually I lose FPS but I am seeing just under a 20 FPS increase with these drivers.

I am also getting an increase from average 45 FPS to 52 FPS in Wildlands and my system is pushing towards the 60 FPS mark in game.

I like em, for now..............................

This is at 2560 x 1080 with everything whapped on highest settings (except motion blur and film grain as i don't like them)

4. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Does anyone play BladeStorm Nightmare ?

I'm having really low performance in this game,
    Compability windows 7
    Run as Admin
    2560x1440p
    All Max

And the FrameTime is insane... I test every time after the first tutorial and I have fps drops every time I charge with horse to a group of enemies or just in the beginning when there are a lot of soldiers. I don't know if it's the drivers because some where before it worked just fine...

[​IMG]

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've done some testing vs 378.77 and 376.48 (older driver versions than that were running on a different h/w) and results were:
    - Gears4 - no change
    - DXMD - no change, in both 11 and 12
    - FC Primal - no change
    - Hitman - noticeable gain in both 11 and 12, +8-14%
    - The Division - small gain in 12, +2-3%
    - RoTTR - small gain in 11+VXAO, +3%

Overall a nice driver but gains are hardly universal and they aren't limited to DX12 only.

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
  7. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    only nvidia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2KNDRcw7cg&t=98s

8. Could you try this?
    1. Start the game in fullscreen.
    2. When in game, use alt+enter to go to windowed.
    3. Use alt+enter again to go back to fullscreen.

This will force reinitialize d3ddevice. Not saying it will help in your case, but I've seen similar behavior with 378.78 causing stuttering which went away after reinitialization.

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I have this issue with SSE and DSR with any 378 driver.It's just annoying not a huge problem, game runs perfect once I do that reintialization.Thanks for the description.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I remember back in the past STALKER needed threaded optimization - off to get rid of any stutter.

EDIT: although I didnt get any BSOD yet and my sensitive OC sometimes gets it quick, well if I play too much with voltage.
    And imo 0x124 is almost 100% cpuv issue or cpu cache voltage fault.

0x9c is apparently general hw fault, similar to 0x124.
    http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000009C

If it still happens with stock cpu frequency or a little lower cpu OC, then its definitely bad OC.

Some drivers can show bad OC quickly. If not bsod that then severe stutter followed by hard system freeze with buzz sound.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

11. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    When I just got the 1070 and upped my CPU and ram frequency I remembered getting the watchdog timeout bsod twice within a week playing SSE, though CPU was stable in benchmarks and 20 pass IBT very high setting.Searching brought up a post by you describing it as vcore related.Sure enough since upping by another 0.03v on top of what Agent-A01 suggested to me in another thread a while back....think it was concerning vcore LLC....no crashes since.

All that to say thanks as I have the opportunity. :thumbup:

12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I also have dropped frames in DOTA 2 using Vulkan on my laptop 970m with these drivers.
    Does anyone have issues with these drivers ?? I have issues on both 1080gtx and 970m . When moving the camera in the map there is drop frames to low as 55-45 or something and it goes straight up. many other games have frames drop, dragon age inquisition , and others. I just don't want to check every drivers. I remember 378.77 worked fine. but such a big difference ?

13. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    literally, i had reported the issue for quite some times & during 378.66 i sent the feedback too.

i suggest use -dx11 or -gl or leave empty for launch option (-dx9)

FYI, look carefully the item slots have line glitches with vulkan mode only.

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

I will check that thanks.. I thought the performance with Vulkan won't be issues and be perfect with Gsync.

Should I worry if my 1080GTX power limit does reach 99% ? it does reach 91 in heaven benchmark , but in game it's 75% or 85% . the clock rate is still maxing to the Boost speeds without issues.

OpenGL is not that great, it has a lot frametime issues, will be very annoying in this game

https://youtu.be/745EniFdvWo?t=3m39s

15. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    that's y i ended up sticking with -dx11. by the way, the vid i watched before.

i told them very easy to reproduce the issue by watching the live or any replay game matches. -dx11 still superior with NV but vulkan is disaster.

if u saw the pic i uploaded here. my fps dropped to single digit 6.9 fps with 150.3 ms with glitches everywhere.

now iG vs VG go watch.. FYI, GPU hit 99% max is the best if u can't hit max mean CPU is the one that holding u back. CPU load during intensive gaming must be lower mean better.

16. Well if it is reported correctly, then it might compromise some performance... lower voltages -> lower frequency. I suggest doing what almost everyone with Pascal does... Use Afterburner to set power limit to max(120%). That won't harm anything and prevents throttling. Actually this should be done by everyone, even ppl who don't OC, coz the power limit throttling on enthusiast GPU is just BS imho.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I've installed these on gtx760 and getting an API driver error with new DX12 mode in Heroes And Generals after couple min of gameplay. I know its experimental (it say so) but isnt happening on my AMD card.

18. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Very , very short about my experience with AMD after long years again, after nvidia of course.
    Nothing much. I have issue with vulkan due to changing over nvidia. I tested this card in other system and the vulkan works fine. Not here after changing from nvidia. i won't do fresh OS install. Don't have time for it. Some vulkan test runs , some not.
    Only the additional settings are short as for many users.
    I have been testing amd drivers over 3 months now(thanks for my friend).
    With nvidia drivers(compare 3 months time) i had lot more issues after the driver install has been made(or not, because some of them, simply refuse to install).

Some other things has to be tested but so far the positive points are going on amd side. Only few to nvidia.

Anyway, i will make a video conclusion about my experience , you like it or not :D

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Shocking. You keep sitting on that 570 thinking that someone owe you to support it till the rest of Earth's days.

Completely the opposite experience here, btw. My RX460 have nothing but troubles with driver updates. I don't play on it so can't really say if there are any issues in games but since I have zero on my 1080 it would be a pointless comparison anyway.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cool, np :cheers: