Industry, and Apple, opposing “right to repair” laws

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Mar 9, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not surprised. They make their business off of building things that break (planned obsolescence anyone?). Not new, started in the 19th century with the infamous light bulb problem. Has worked since then.

3. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I had a problem with a tractor recently and it drove us up the wall.
    Essentially the PTO would not operate, nothing we tried over 6 months would get it to work. No point getting the dealer out for one of his multi-thousand dollar paydays as he couldn't guarantee he could fix it on the spot and yep you guessed it, $500 to connect his laptop.

Talking to another farmer he suggested looking at the alternator belt. Why would I look at an alternator belt for a faulty PTO?
    Turns out he was right on the money, the tractor has a ground radar to measure wheel spin. So it measures engine speed and ground speed to make this decision. Where is the the sensor to measure engine speed? Yep you guessed it - the alternator!

Why are these things so damn technical? I can feel wheelspin I can look out the window and see it.
    The reason they add this crap on is solely because of the money the can make post sale. It's a bad joke and it's proprietry!

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Same with cars and their warranty... by a brand new factory rollout car and get five years of warranty... only to force you to go for the partner dealership / garage to pay higher prices for your repairs and services...

It's a system that's everywhere, a law of a right to fix kills that off, would force companies to either make products easier to fix (less new sales), or last longer (less new sales). Helps the people, damages companies, thus won't happen. :)

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nice vid, thanks for sharing. After the first 5 minutes I already was certain his opinion matches mine, personally. A marketing lady being head of a repair conference... it's like asking somebody from Pfizer's marketing department if he thinks it's a good idea to promote household alternatives to overpriced medicine... :D

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You can service your car at any reputable service centre in Australia, and as long as the service book is stamped they have to honour the warranty. That is as long as it's not a service caused fault.

8. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    With cars you can take them anywhere you like to get them repaired provided the mechanic is licensed there is no problem with warranty.
    That's the law in Australia anyway.

Not so in the agricultural sector, we can't go to any mechanic.
    Heck we can't even get hold of the manuals any longer.
    And I'm talking equipment that costs half a million dollars.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well cool you can do that in Australia, in Austria we have to go to "partner garages" to honor the warranty... and yes they charge higher rates for both the hour of a mechanic (yet it does not get to the poorly payed guys), and the parts as well. :D

Yeah with those stuff you have a hard time, my dad actually learned to repair that stuff when he started out, but it's the same with tractors than with cars, they get more technical each year with useless computer stuff built in keeping your from repairing them easily. Just try to replace a light bulb in your new xeon headlight car... they could make it so that everybody could do it, but it's simply not in their interest :)

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Long time follower of his channel, one sound mind, one brave enough to speak his mind.Someday Youtube or other company will shut him or something, he has a long record to spit in the face big companies.

As a computer repair guy and long time hardware/electronics consumer i am the moment when i ask if tomorrow i will still have something to repair or just change my trade.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think that if companies like Apple would charge a normal amount, I would not be against this.

That being said, I cannot say that I personally have had too many Apple products I needed to take in and get repaired that hasn't taken a huge beating ever both personally, and in the work place.

Dell I've had issues with, but they're so cheap for repair costs and thanks to contracts it makes it cheaper.

12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I was asked to check out a cordless hand-held vacuum cleaner and I found out that the battery was bad. I searched the Internet for a new battery and I couldn't find it. I couldn't take it apart because there may be hidden screws.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Another reason why I don't and will never buy Apple products.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I too will no longer buy Apple products personally. I have just seen too much planned obsolescence occur over the years with Apple products, not to mention the most recent IMO flagrant greed that's displayed by their designing the iPhone 7 (no headphone jack) and the MacBook Pro (nothing but USB-C)

They can say whatever they like about it, its clear they wanna sell accessories and dongles since they charge a fortune for them. Its also become clear to me (as someone who's used and supported Apple tablets and phones for years with my job) that updates over time are meant to cripple older devices, in so many ways guiding users to have to "upgrade" to remain having a "fast phone".

When you zoom out and look at all the signs, its pretty obvious that Apple has no intention of having people repair their devices.. they stand to lose HUGE amounts of money doing so.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I like open standards and liberty to fix your device.May no longer apply to newer models but Thinkpads have a service manual, with all steps for replacing parts.
    Why is this a sin and why is a such a rare thing to find today ?

16. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I can't get parts for old large woodworking machines. You can get parts for old popular cars like 1955-1957 Chevy, Mustang, Firebird, Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle, etc, but not for all old cars.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  18. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    [​IMG]

A new study is backing up long held suspicions that Apple slows down older models of iPhones to encourage users to buy its new release. The U.S. study analysed worldwide searches for 'iPhone slow' and found that the search term spiked significantly around the time of new phone releases

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    When I had an iPhone (3GS) I never liked how they force(d) the latest iOS down your throat. You had no choice but to upgrade. Perhaps this was part of it (who doesn't like a good conspiracy?) :nerd:

The entire Apple experience is:
    a) open your wallet
    b) give Apple your money
    c) let Apple decide everything, like which headphones
    d) you need "airpods"
    e) open your wallet
    f) give Apple your money...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There's an article for the graph if anyone is interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...earches-iPhone-slow-spike-ahead-launches.html