The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    ^
    Was that with large FFTs @ 2 mins? From which exact sensor are you reading your temps :3eyes: ?

2. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    i use the sensor reading where it says 72C in the picture and this was for ~5 mins and it was Blend

This one is Large FFTs for ~3 mins:

[​IMG]

3. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

4.0GHz at 1.4V @ H100 push/pull reached 80ºC in 40 seconds..

4. lowrider_05

lowrider_05 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6900 XTXH LC
    I have set 1.38v in the BIOS and maybe it helps that i use liquid Metal thermal Paste.

5. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Another run @ large FFTs for 2 minutes:

[​IMG]

Ryzen Master is reading this sensor:

[​IMG]

That seems much more reasonable.

BTW cut the images from quotes or else it will make longer than it is already :giggle2:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    I've been comparing and analyzing the discrepancy of temp readings between Ryzen Master and different monitor programs and I realised that most of them are getting their readings from the same sensor named as "CPU" on HWiNFO64 and from what I could understand this sensor is actually measuring the SOCKET Temperature which is not that relevant and also not what we should be looking at.
    So, what we should be looking at instead is the "CPU (tctl)", this one measuring the actual core temp.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've just been going through this thread and want to re-iterate, please stay on topic. This is chispy's thread with a very clear topic selection.

Respect the topic please.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Guys don't worry abou Temps and readings becouse it's an Fresh Platform.
    I think max Temps for AIO at 4Ghz 1.4v is about !Real 62-70 deg.cels (no more IMO)
    Now we have Beta BIOS and all is Beta lol
    But 8/16 Behemoth is ours now (and we have two kidneys at place lol)

I will be building mine in coming week...

Tuesday/Wednesday :banana:

Did anybody check RAID 0 ? (i have RAID 0 Game HDD lol)

9. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    How can you say to not worry about temps? Fresh or not, you should ALWAYS worry about temps/voltages/limits, specially while overclocking like most of us are...

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    "In general, it’s been too long for AMD to launch a new CPU, so they forgot how to do it, so they launched the CPU just like they were launching the graphics card. They didn’t care about the platform eco-system, so the eco-system is suffering and stock is delayed.

AMD hasn’t launched a new platform is many years and it had a tough time supporting board partners. Legit Reviews was also contacted by memory makers for help getting engineering contacts at AMD ahead of the Ryzen launch to ensure their memory kits were compatible as they couldn’t get support knocking on the front door. Now here we are just a week after the launch and there are motherboard supply issues, UEFI issues and memory performance issues (Check out our memory performance scaling article to see what those are)."

So also AMD has forgotten how to do it right :wanker:

More here -> http://www.legitreviews.com/one-motherboard-maker-explains-why-amd-am4-boards-are-missing_192470

PS.
    Of course truth is in-between as always....

But for us we need to have a patience :kermit:
    Ne01 Out

Here some guys at Disqus:

{

I think this was a reasonable decision on AMD's part.
    Launching earlier than initially announced and keeping performance data hidden gave them advantage versus Intel's marketing machine. Intel is forced to react now while AMD is selling their chips.
    People are buying Ryzen chips like crazy and placing orders for out-of-stock motherboards which generates sales for MB makers without them having to commit to having large stockpile of product in sales channel.

The alternative (where Intel is given enough time to come up with effective counter to Ryzen's price/performance ratio) doesn't sound nearly as appealing, neither for AMD nor for MB makers.

===
    It's a great marketing tool to. Even Apple does it: A shortage creates news and the sense of demand and limitation.
    The sense of demand helps cause a bandwagon effect so fence sitters actually purchase. The limited supply makes purchasers impulse-buy for fear of not being able to wait until they've thought out their decision.
    Fortunately in this case, the product is solid. The demand is justified. I'm just glad I followed Ryzen through the pre-release and pre-ordered. This computer is a beast. :D

===
    For a good while AMD was actually making faster and more innovative stuff than Intel.

AMD launched dual cores for consumers
    AMD integrated memory controllers on die
    AMD created x64 versus Intel pushing the move to a new architecture that only they could make
    AMD also pushed APU's mainstream
    AMD was the first to ship a 1Ghz x86 CPU to the masses.
    AMD was the first to ship x6 for the mainstream (affordable).
    AMD was the first to ship x8 for the mainstream (affordable).
    and now AMD is the first to ship x8/16 for the mainstream (affordable).
    }

11. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Regarding the temps-voltages issue...

Is there an official do/don't from AMD?

The FXs have a maximum recommended 65oC and below 1.45V for daily use, if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone, anywhere, posted any relevant info?

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

CPU will shut down when hit 95 deg.cels
    So we can assume that safe for ZEN uArch is up to 75 Deg. cels.

Best Temps for ryZEN IMO, 55-68deg. on non-stop setup

Greets

PS.
    this is funny or not ;)

[​IMG]

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Read this:

Official AMD Ryzen Master Overclocking User’s Guide
    https://www.amd.com/system/files/20...AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

I think Windows 10 & Ryzen have to wait M$ patch(es).The temps,right now, are ridiculous weird on AM4 platform.

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you Hilbert.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 Overclocking Report and Findings :
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware tested , first impressions , max stable overclocks , tweakings , findings =
    ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 - 15-15-15-35 1T 1.35v ( Samsung B-die ICs , single sided modules )
    ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2800 - 17-17-17-38 1T 1.20v ( SK hynix die , double sided modules )
    eVGA GTX 1070 SC on H2O
    eVGA SuperNova G2 1300w psu
    Full Custom Water Loop - 1x280Rad + 2x140Rads + MCP655 vario pump at setting #5 for max pressure lead and max flow + Swiftech Apogee XL cpu waterblock + EK Full Cover gpu water Block GTX 1070

Software used =
    Windows 10 x64bit Built 1607 fully updated
    Latest AMD Ryzen Master Utility for Overclocking Control and monitoring temps and volts
    Latest Hardware Info used to double check monitoring temps and voltages
    Bios ( Beta Bios 1.42 ) for the mobo , latest chipset drivers.
    Nvidia driver , latest whql 378.78

Water temperature 18c , controlled ambient temperature 16c ( A/C Cooled Bench Room ).

First impression , the motherboard it's one of the most budget friendly overclocking motherboards with a Digital vrm 6+3 phases , full heatsinks , kind of the middle road overclocking headroom at this moment due to the very immature Beta Bios missing CPU v.core , load line calibration and many other settings wish helps to get high overclocks stable with fine tuning finesse. Memory ratio , mem v.core and overclocking it is supported , cpu multiplier can be changed in bios and SMT can be switch On or Off.

I expect more options to be added later on future Bios releases. Memory support is quite good ( It supports all well known DDR4 memory ICs out of the box , Samsung , SK hynix and Micron ) but overclocking headroom on the memory is limited to DDR4-2666 with loose timings at the moment with the latest Beta bios. With Adata double sided SK Hynix memory i had some trouble getting anything stable at more than DDR4 2400Mhz at timings of 17-17-17-36 1T no matter voltage used , i tried 1.20v all the way up to 1.45v. With the G.Skill single sided Samsung B-die memory max overclock was at DDR4 2666Mhz at timings of 18-18-18-42 1T at 1.35v

CPU overclocking in Bios is no quite there yet , again due to immature Bios. I only changed the cpu multiplier to 36 in all cores in bios with no v.core voltage control and it booted just fine at windows , then i proceeded to use the AMD master overclocking utility and started overclocking from there ending up with a max overclock of 4125Mhz 100% stable in benchmarks and games at 1.49v for cpu v.core with temperatures of 32c iddle and stabilizing at 67c 100% load.

Summary , overall i have a good impression of this motherboard it seems solid and well built , overclocking it's ok'ish at the moment using AMD master overclocking for the cpu , but i was not able to achieve the highest overclock on this cpu wish is 4225mhz on Asus Crosshair Vl Hero *** Edit today ( I was in fact able to match the same clocks that my cpu did in the Asus board , 4225Mhz)***. In Bios overclocking needs a lot of work. Bios temperatures reading and voltages are not 100% accurate , i expect this to further improve with Bios updates. AMD master overclocking and HwInfo correctly reports the voltages used and correct temperatures.

Some pictures of my testing , overclocking and findings i did all throughout the night and wee hours in the morning 4:00am

Quick first test of the cpu not maxed out , just testing the waters at only 4000mhz cpu i got my best TimeSpy score ever on my GTX 1070 at 2126/2292Mhz. Cinebench R15 maxed out overclock at 4125Mhz cpu.GPU Pi for CPU test at 4225Mhz.

* Edit * Just re-tested today the motherboard and cpu for a quick cpu-z and i end up running GPUPi CPU test at 4225Mhz - click the spoiler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    So we need:

BIOS patches (as i said before)
    Windows Patches (cuz' its fresh platform)
    and some Drivers from AMD for ZEN uArch not some default ones from 2009 lol (please check date for CPU driver in WinX :bang: )

Ryzen 1800x - Thread performance across the two CCX units:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORHnYLLgyY

Ryzen 1800x - Windows scheduling threads across CCX units:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbryPYcnscA

#AMD #Act

18. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Nice work Chispy, that seems quite good for a B350 series motherboard, esp. considering the teething stage of the whole platform. :nerd:

19. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    such a simple and effective way of showing that a patch to windows can improve performance :D
    I don't remember where I read it, but there was 1 long and detailed article proving that windows's scheduler has no issues at all with ryzen...

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.