Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I mean it's changed over time..

Tesla's are 5x the cost for not 5x the performance. It's why Nvidia started removing features from the Titan line and adding features like NVLink to the Tesla line - to differentiate the two.

Up until Pascal, the Titan's were basically identical to the Tesla in terms of hardware performance in deep learning except they cost way less. The Titan's then were more of a blend between gaming/workstation (FP64). With Maxwell it started shifting towards a blend of gaming/deep learning. But they were still 1/5th of the price for nearly identical performance - just less features.

But now with the giant boom in DL, Nvidia changed it up.. made the Titan X (P) a good inference card, as it retains the accelerated INT8 performance from GP100.. but it lacks the packed math (double FP16) for training.

Regardless, it's still 1/10th the price of P100 MX2 for half the flops performance in training (I'm sure memory bandwidth and NVLink make that half bit fuzzy) but the point remains that it's significantly more cost effective for small/midsized companies.

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Far from my first rodeo but yes.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    In short, you paid full price for a 1080GTX and now the Ti is almost the same price.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Man, there's people with a LOT of money. If they want to game, they'll buy a titan, why not? And Nvidia charging what they're charging is because they run a business and as long as those titans sell, they'll keep charging that.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would still run 120hz with 80fps. And your CPU is holding you back a little bit, but you probably know that.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So what? If you're so concerned about money that you get upset that your product devalued by $100 over a year, you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

7. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Some people just don't seem to understand, that Titan cards are targeting people who want the best at the time of release(7 months Early), and for those people price Is Irrelevant since they make that spent money back the next day anyways.

The Ti might be slightly faster out of the box due to a better cooler and higher memory frequency, but I wonder how It would perform under water. Titan's are already shooting upwards of 11K+ GPU Score under water In TimeSpy. Only time will tell who's faster.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Im far from concerned, obviously. i just wonder why people have a hatred of hardware that supersedes their own.
    Im of the ilk that its best to but the absolute fastest you can at the time, i got this bang on with my ;-
    780gtx
    580gtx
    280gtx
    8800gtx
    When watercooled and clocked those cards lasted well.
    Got it wrong with the 7800gtx as it was a crap card

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Doesn't the 1080Ti get the int8 also?

I don't say that people with money should do whatever they want with that. I was just critical of IT departments getting Titans, when Titans offer zero over the Ti models while costing 2x, all of that for a six month wait.

And before anyone says "it's a race", on the Titan/Ti level, it really isn't. Any company for whom deep learning and the rest is a "race", won't even bother with Titans, it will go directly for Tesla cards. Professionally, they are just plain bad choice.

Personally, for my rig (and not my company), this is my parts list if I never had to consider money.

10. Hussnash

Hussnash Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    1080ti and titan x are the same GPU, they are identical

and no, the Titan cards an amazing choice for DL because they offer 4x the performance of a GP100 for inference

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the review Hilbert, I'm a little late to the party to tell you so but still :D

I GREATLY appreciate the "GPU shootout" chart, that was one thing I compared between cards when a new generation was released, loading all the reviews into a tab to have an overview. Seeing this now is as if you read our minds. Stop that, or at least fulfill one of my other wishes :D

Yes, looks like a beast of a card, and in my humble opinion, not putting this thing under water is waste (also, 1080p gaming).

12. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    IT departments have to meet work dead lines, they won't postpone their work and wait 6 months for a better card. The Titan Is an excellent choice for smb businesses that can't afford the Tesla (More Options Is Better).

13. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Trying the voltage tweak for afterburner. It won't let me save voer the original file. I've made the whole folder completely permissioned and the file too. Still says I have no permission so save. edit: got it so save. didnt do anything.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Dream card for 4K and 1440p/1600p ultrawide users, will def get this card in my new setup!

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Didnt you had the 980ti, what happened?

16. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Nvidia ia a nasty company when it comes to marketing, they have over the years figured out nasty ways to get us to pay up for the products. Like some (or many) years ago ti was the beast when it was gaming, then they got the chip that performed much better than they tough. Sell mid end card as high, sell ti as high end while titan that was ti before gets sold for a small fortune.
    Even tho i have a gtx 1080 and its a great card even tho it laks the punch for4k, but i dont like to buy from company's that follow this business model and fool their costumers..
    I know a company need to emake money, but some have to few limits to how far they are willing to go to make the most as possible. Nvidia have shown us they are willing to go quite a distance to make you and me pay the most. Thats why i hope i can get hold of a gpu killing it in 4k, and not beeing nvidia. But if i found a cheap 1080ti, i would buy it.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Your post had really no structure, and by that, i can't realistically understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that because there are ti cards and titan cards that are more expensive the the normal xx80 cards that somehow nvidia is a horrible company?

So you would rather it just be the xx80 cards?

The ti and titan cards are not what use to be the xx80 cards, the xx80 cards are still what they always have been. In regards to cost, though, you may actually want to look up the history of graphics cards costs.

[​IMG]

This doesn't include titan, as i previously stated, thats a new line of cards that people seem to be getting confused about. You seem to be one of those very confused people.

And as you can see, graphics cards costs have pretty much been the same throughout the last 17 years, excluding the 8800 GTX, which was exceedingly expensive.

With a mindset like yours, you make it impossible for companies to even want to try and make something even more high end then they previously did. AKA if nvidia never came out with the titan cards, everyone with your mindset would be completely fine with the current generations of the xx80 series, and oblivious to the fact that nvidia could have given you more, all because you don't want "even more high end", you want to feel good about yourself when you buy a $500 card and tell everyone "I have the best card out there!", but now can't, because there's even more high end cards out there, at a price you are unwilling to pay.

Mindsets like yours stunt technology development.

Also, why the pointless necro?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    prices are lil ridiculous, even if it "adjust" for the current dollar what they ask for cards is hard shallow for some if any thing chart show prices go up and down each gen sometimes lil some times alot, amd on the other end is more lay back with there prices in comparison.

it all in the eye of beholder., my uncles refuses to play more then 100$ for gpu I refuse to pay more then 300$ resonable prices cards with great performance, dont really go together anymore.

Gpu cost more then cpu's these days and tend to be swamped out alot more frequent then new systems with new cpu's

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Why is it that inflation is only ever accounted for when someone wants to prove how this or that is acceptable or cheap?

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^^

Manufacturers have been known to sell things for 200-300% more if not more then what it actual cost them to make things.

Do actual think say iPhone cost apple 600-800$ to make? it probably cost them 200-300$ to make same goes for alot tech

What is cheap and acceptable or for that mater worth the price tag come down the individuals.

People pay 500~800$ year every year for new "smart" phone and as the slow raise the price people keep buying it so manufuatures think it fine, they make 100's of millions and some make billions cause apparently this is acceptable