980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes that is why some recommend to take one GPU out and do them alone.

Sometimes when they get disabled with multi cards those issues arise.

You should redo but with only 1 card in the system or alternatively you can put nvflash on a dos bootable usb stick.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's why I only buy cards with dual-BIOS :p If you bork it, flip a switch and get the vanilla BIOS to boot with, then flash the borked one back.

3. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Seems the problem is in the most recent bios version. If I'll flash it on the card it goes fubar immediately. The minute I flash it back to the default bios everything is fine.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Link your default bios; upload it somewhere.

Then we can test something simple(ie just changing clock speeds to see if it will take the bios)

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    It's this one.
    I copied every setting from the STRIX bios you made (except fan config) to this one using kepler and max bios tweakers. Seems to work fine except the GPU gets hot as hell. Plus it gets really loud even with the fan at 60% - the other card doesn't even get close to that at the same fan speeds. Fuq this cooler for real though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    I switched all my case and rad fans back to my AF/SP120s and the temps of the cards seem to be about 4 degrees lower on average. ASUS card now fluctuates at about 78-81 and rarely even hits 84, this is still on the default bios though.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Surprising that cooler isn't doing very good.

Have you ensured proper contact from base plate and gpu?

Could always reduce voltage a little if nothing else.

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah I've tried repasting it a couple of times now but to no avail. Temps still reach the same max as with default TIM. Don't think reducing the voltage is an option as it would restrict the clocks again/more. As far as I've seen from reviews, the cooler isn't too good - ASUS seems to have tweaked it for max silence under load, which it isn't, and when you decide to boost the fans up a notch, it gets loud as hell and still cools like crap. This is hilarious as at 52% fan speed the ASUS card hits 82ish degrees whereas the Inno3D card doesn't even make a sound with the fan at 52% and it's cool, as in 62ish degrees cool :3eyes:
    Maybe I just got a bad card lol :wanker:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  9. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Sounds bad for sure, I bought an Asus reference GTX980ti last week, after cleaning/reseating thermal paste with AC MX-4 my card with overclock at 1440mhz boost and custom fan profile is topping at 74º... with 65% fan at max (noticeable but not something weird)...
    Before it was fluctuating between 84-88º, the maintenance was a pure win after all. Your Strix should be doing way better than my reference, something´s wrong.

10. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah this is all pretty mysterious. At the moment the STRIX card hovers at 80c +/- 2c under heavy load. One thing to consider is I'm indeed running two 980Ti's in SLI so it's to be expected that the top card runs hotter. But this much hotter with a lame voltage of 1.18, it's freaking pathetic. I could run the Inno3D card with voltage at 1.28 plus a core clock of ~1600MHz and not even hit 78c with fans at 65%. The ASUS card has a rather low ASIC as well, 68.3% :frown:

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ what if you just swap them, run the Inno3D as primary?

12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Might help, might not as the Inno3D card is a 3-slot card so it might choke a little trying to suck air straight from the back of another card that runs really hot.
    As of now I've achieved a somewhat fine middle ground - I undervolted both cards to 1.112 and set their clocks to 1350/7800 with a custom bios. So far both run fine with no throttle at all. It's still very strange to me that the ASUS card, even with a very low voltage of 1.112, heats up like crazy. I noticed that if I set the fan of the Inno3D card at 60% then the ASUS card runs up to 10c cooler even though the Inno3D card runs at about 50-60c under load :3eyes:

13. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    After bricking my card with custom bioses and spending about a whole day getting it flashed back to the stock bios I have decided to rather just edit my own (using motivman's bioses over at overclock.net).

With the modded values the my card now:

* Runs at 1.230v in 3D, (can be increased up to 1.275v using afterburner)
    * Power limit is increased to 350W at 100% and 400W at 114%
    * PCIE power is set to 75W, 6pin PCIE power is 150W, 8Pin PCIE power is 175W.

With these changes my card runs at 1345mhz @1.230v without using afterburner at all, but by changing just the voltage slider to max (+87mV), my card boosts to 1538Mhz @1.275v.

These values should enable all cards to reach 1500Mhz+ on the core, but should really only be used with watercooling

This is all I changed..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I always find their website hard work to view properly with a locked down browser.
    Do you have a direct link to his bios mods?

15. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    This is just mods I made to my own bios after reading about 200 pages of comments.

I would be happy to post my bios for reference or mod yours with the same values if you prefer..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q9pj2p2ek1ygtu9/modded.rom

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately it gives me the same issue as other modded bios.
    If I dont specify a new core overclock value in Afterburner it immediately jumps to 1.275V.
    It didnt used to do this a year ago but recently I tried the very same bios I used before (was write protected) and this problem has started.

I wanted to try a different mod bios to confirm if this is just an issue with my card or the bios.
    EVGA ACX2.0+ SC+

Not to worry, it will be sold in a few weeks and works fine with the stock bios.
    Thanks for your help.

17. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    So, concerning the temp problems on my STRIX 980Ti.
    As my order for TG Hydronaut arrived today I decided to swap the TIM on both of my cards. As I was placing the cooler back on the STRIX card, I noticed there is a gap between the PCB and each of the stand outs where the screws that hold the cooler in place go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've ensured that the mounting screws are as tight as they go. However, I noticed that the springs on the mounting screws don't spread out as supposed, instead they just kind of gather up on the screw. If I hold the card and push the cooler from those mounting points they will easily make contact with the PCB.
    So this is probably the reason behind the bad temps, right?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yeh that'll do it. The standoffs can be tightened too I assume looking at the pics.

They probably tighten against a nut or a threaded hole in the backplate, study the bp / back of the pcb and check it out.

19. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    OK, so I took some spacers, covered them with electric tape and put them under the screws. Now the cooler and the mounting stand offs make perfect contact with the GPU/PCB. Seems it runs approx 5ish degrees cooler now, not too bad I guess. I've since put on a more aggressive fan profile on the card as well. Now it maxes at about 80 degrees when I run games at 4K.

[​IMG]

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Looks like those strix have a pretty bad design flaw.

Good job