AMD Ryzen Gets Delidded

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2017.

1. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    It's been a long time since a cpu was last laid out by hand.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15iaet/iama_cpu_architect_and_designer_at_intel_ama/

"All of the analog circuitry, arrays, and performance-sensitive parts are definitely hand-drawn (schematics) and hand laid out. We're one of the few places that actually still do this (apparently Apple does too). You can tell which parts were laid out by hand if you look at die photos."

3. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    I'd like 2 add a few questions too.
    So, a company overprices its products, buys out the competition in numerous sectors, halts development for profit/proliferation, blatantly publishes reports of billions in profit after expenses, and still has majority market share.
    Points to prove the above -
    market evaluation reports
    Forum sig
    Fabrication process of chips / chip density / pricing
    Acquisition of tech companies

Anything i got wrong here?

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So Intel has been gouging you? I disagree.

6 years ago, Intel was already selling you processors that could do this for about $200-350. (even a $130 Sandy i3 is fair) They've been pretty stagnant in development since but clearly the best. You could have been enjoying this performance for years. Look at all the Sandy Bridges still in use at Guru3D.

Meanwhile, AMD has been selling reasonably priced, powerful space heaters. Now they finally have a new processor that can meet and sometimes beat Intel so Intel is clearly an evil entity that should have been giving away their processors for years.

Whatever.

5. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Ok, i understand your opinion. It is fair to say, resonable prices and relative competitive products are interrelated. One can't exist without the other. Isn't that what is accepted by everyone, i assume.
    Also, Denial's perspective of what would be happening of the competition if this company was selling its products at the minimum margin of profit is mind bending too.

Then, in regards to being the best, at the time availability, what actually do we see "best" as, comes into play. Each consumer expects a said lvl of performance for his money, comparing with past trends in tech-progress.
    Doesn't it ring a bell when the pioneers of this tech-sector are milking the entire market for nearly a decade, using the same rebranded product, and still have the financial prowess (funded by that milked sheep) to further claim themselves as "the pioneer sponsors of tomorrow", while inventing another product that again says " go f u c k yourself " every tick tock?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    No development is degeneration. Intel developed this tech a decade ago, and ever since hasn't bothered to develop anything but the process technology since AMD utterly failed with its previous generation. Intel didn't become an "evil entity" now when AMD released its product. What on Earth would make you say such a strange thing? Intel become the greedy money loving and development hating entity when they stopped offering better products for the same or cheaper price, which is how the computer industry used to progress (just look at GPUs even today: 1080Ti offers the same power as a much more expensive Titan just a year ago).

If I had got a 6-core i5k when I replaced an Ivy Bridge i5k with a Skylake i5k, I'd have been a happy dude and you wouldn't have seen my 30 Intel badmouthing posts over here. But no, jumping over two whole Intel CPU generations I got a 4c/4t to replace a 4c/4t and maybe 10% IPC gain under optimal circumstances. The price was a bit higher as well, as expected of inflation checks. And yet you are telling me Intel isn't evil.

You must be an Intel stock owner enjoying dividends. Good for you.

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    You used an improper pronoun for capacitor.

Perhaps you wanted to say capacitors.

8. Variac

Variac Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 8G
    If you want to go on we can do it privately, it is not even a matter of pronoun but singular / plural, I know the difference, English isn't my language, I was writing very fast during a coffe break at work. It's different from having a site and writing a technical post and not doing a grammar error but writing 2 different chemical element/compound with 2 almost opposite functions. And I didn't want to do the professor, just wanted to help to correct the post. I really appreciate this site, even if I don't post as you can see it's from 14years (at least) that daily I follow the site. It's a common error if you're not aware what are you talking about (That's not absolutely the case of the author of this article), there are many films (007, Alien..) that wrongly translate silicon with silicone in my native language.

Besides this, it's not a matter of being evil. Intel is a company and what want to do is only 1 thing: profit. If there isn't any need to hurry or to lower price they act consequently. Intel did a bad product with Pentium4 and AMD took market, than AMD failed and Intel did his job, now AMD has a great product.
    I'd like to see the answer from Intel in next year, you can't do a revolution on your schedule so easily

9. 4UJER84URF84

4UJER84URF84 Guest

GPU:
    4gb amd r9290
    I dont think delidding this cpu is really worth it for a 2c drop in temperature and he already wasted 2 cpus trying this, Not something I would ever risk doing as knowing me I will mess up, If you really want a cool cpu water is probably your best bet and less risky.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's simply that Intel is a business in this to make profit. Consumers decide whether the pricing is fair or not with their wallets.