i need help new PC build...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MKube402, Mar 7, 2017.

?

what CPU to get?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2017.
  1. i7 7700k

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. R7 1700 OC to what ever it is stable..

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    At the end of the day it really boils down to what games are you going to play and what else are you going to use your system for. If you are going to play the latest and greatest AAA games then investing an in either processor isn't a bad idea. However to me it will take some more time for more games to utilize more than 4 cores. Yeah I know that there are some games out there that use more than 4 threads but that is few and far between. If you plan on doing something like video rendering or live streaming then having the extra cores and threads is a great thing and go with Ryzen.

I agree with the that replacing an i7 4c/8t cpu with the same core and thread specs 6 years later is pretty silly and it seems like Intel knows best or whatever. When I upgraded to my i7 I went from a core 2 quad q6600. Also to to the OP don't feel like that you need to leave the thread that you created just do what you think is the best option for you. The same goes with gaming Laptops I am waiting and seeing if either AMD or Intel are going to release moible CPUs that have more than 4 cores.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    part of the problem i have is there is no benchmarks using lower end cards every one is using 1080's or Titan XP... I have 2 RX 480's i want to see the impact of the i7 7700K Vs R7 1700 dealing with crossfired RX 480.. if there is little impact then i would be more inclined to go with the AMD and keep the whole system AMD...
    keeping everything AMD would mesh well with drivers working together.. right?

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    hard choice, even with performance numbers on the table.But there are yet some variables to consider.
    Nobody can foresee the future, but the grow from one core to dual-core, then the jump to quad-core CPUs and so on can give some ideas about what to expect.
    from gaming only pow go with Intel.From a concerned hardware consumer, go with Ryzen and support them and the idea of giving more cores and computing power at lower costs.
    The choice is yours.

4. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    LOL Dammit...

Yeah i know it may come down to a coin toss i think both will serve me well in the long run....

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It boils down of what are doing with your computer.
    Streaming, editing photoshop, heavy multi-tasking, virtualize and gaming etc..Ryzen
    Just gaming and from time to time some of the above stuff... Intel.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Indeed him going after Intel just to get another 4c/8t CPU would be pointless if he is streaming. AMD even proved in their press-conference of the Ryzen CPUs that the RX1800x or whatever CPU they used against the 7700K during the streaming part that the extra cores and thread proved to be very helpful. Now that I think about it further that It would be beneficial for him to pickup the Ryzen CPU over the Kaby Lake Intel CPU it would greatly help him during streaming. My little Cousin is into streaming on Twitch and He had an FX 4350 CPU and he swapped out with his dad's FX 8320 and it made a huge difference while streaming because of the extra cores.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmmm. I was in your shoes until yesterday OP. I wen't with the 7700k because I use this rig for gaming.

1700 would make sense for streaming maybe but a lot of streamers do just fine with a i7 anyway.

If you do decide going Ryzen, wait out a few weeks. They seem to have issues, motherboard supply is next to none (the better boards anyway). Definitely do wait if you decide on Ryzen.

8. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI

LOL yeah there all sold out... i am not getting any thing till April

depending what i get i am getting one of the motherboards listed below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144017

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130974&ignorebbr=1

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, they're nice boards. Ryzen boards aren't sold out here, they're all pre-order :(

Either way, coming from what you have, you'll get a nice boost. Good thing you have a 4c/8t CPU, you can decide for yourself if you need more treads. Try some streaming and consider a 7700k a faster CPU with faster ram so it'll do better.

10. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    For pure gaming now and for a coupe of years, 7700k no doubt.
    For longevity, 1700.
    I don't think these cpu's will hold up for so many years as the previous generations.
    Myself i am waiting for intels next generation in august.
    (Mostly because of chipset and pcie lanes. )

11. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Or why not split the difference and wait for the Ryzen 5 6c/12t? That's what I'm doing :)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What makes you so certain the 1700 will have more longevity than 7700k? Please share. Also, what do you need more PCI-E lanes for? Just curious.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It depends on what you are using the CPUs for. Even with the latest and greatest games they may or may not use more than 4 Cores. Also mind you it is taking game devs a good while to utilize more than 4 Cores. So I think the 7700K may hold up for alot longer than you realize.

Also what do you need alot of PCI-E lanes for? The only uses for the PCI-E lanes would be SLI graphics cards and PCI-E SSDs.