Depression, can't sleep.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by signex, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not bad sides at all as far as they go, fingers crossed your system is happy with them and they work

Agree with the above few posts though, exercise really does make a huge difference, I would never have believed it when I was at my lowest, I just wanted meds to fix me, but I was the problem, I fixed me instead lol

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Have a prescription for Escitalopram myself (apparently an "improved" version of Citalopram).

Have never had any side effects as long as I don't forget to take the meds (this will usually create some side effects like dizziness).

The thing with citalopram is it doesn't actually alter your "brain chemistry" but it works as an inhibitor for serotonine reduction (read up on SSRI for more info).
    Thus it raises your serotonine level which usually helps with depression and/or anxiety attacks.

In other words it's a relatively safe AD compared to some "heavier" stuff.

And yeah paracetamol as painkillers unless you get some sort of blood-clotting test done to allow you to use stuff like ibuprofein or aspirin.

Citalopram combined with painkillers which dilute blood may cause some form of blood clotting failure meaning if you get a wound blood doesn't clot properly.

PS: while it doesn't say so in the information booklet, use as little alcohol during the medication as possible.

Alcohol decreases your serotonine level again plus using any nervous system affecting chemical with anti-depressants is never beneficial.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Alright this is just my views on the topic, so if you don't agree with what i said , ignore it. Just to be clear, i don't believe in "depression", that's scientist / doctors type of stuff/teaching, something i also don't believe in. I read and follow the bible, so you should have some sort of understanding on what i am saying and believe in. So on that note, what doctors called depression is really no more than a feeling from a certain mood. Sadness, being sad, pain, suffering, we all get that way sometimes. And i think taking pills, makes it worse. You don't need to take a pill to make you feel better, there are other safer ways, quicker ways. I know of people who have committed suicide from taking pills, it actually makes things much worse on the person.

Now reading what the OP said, it sounds like you have what i have, worrying too much, "Anxiety attacks " or panic attacks. I get them often, a few months ago it got so bad before i left my house i had to sit down in a corner because i felt so frightened or something of going outside. or idk maybe i was just worrying too much which i tend to do about certain people that i help and care about. So i just pray and pray about it and eventually it goes away.

It started badly when i lost 2 of my friends from drugs just last year, i did go to the doctor which i hardly never do, but thought i would go to check on my heart, he said everything was fine, but he did mention that I'm hyper, meaning my heart races when im talking too much and i need to stop worrying so much. So my advice, pray about it, but also find the root of the problem and find a way around it. When i feel sad, honestly i just called my kittens to the bed and they jump around and i feel better already lol. But people cope with sadness in different ways, but don't let it overtake you, it will destroy you, that is what Satan loves to do, he loves to prey on people who are at their weakest.

Play some games, listen to music, go to the movies, go out and meet some women, go to the park with your dog, watch some thunderstorms, travels , the world is beautiful, there's always something to do. Be careful about those meds though, they could be making you feel worse.
    Peace

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The problem i'm having lately is that i worry about my heartrate too much, had a panic attack just now after i woke up.

My heartrate felt incredibly slow and i felt very tired and slow like my heart was about to stop and i was dying, so i got right out of bed and my heart started pounding fast.

I've calmed down now luckily, maybe it was nothing but it felt incredibly real that my heart was going too slow wich made me feel the way i felt.

Sucks to hear you lost 2 friends, could never imagine how that must feel.
    I've lost a friend in middle school of a brain tumor, died way too young.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Is there something else triggering the panic attacks, sounds like you're worried about something else too.

You should try getting an exercise bike, do about 15mins for a week or so and build from there.

6. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Yea i had that same issue, stop worrying about your heart, there's probably nothing wrong with it. It basically sounds like you are worrying too much about something or a few things and you need to get out and enjoy your life. Being stuck in the house all the time is not good. Your issue which you just mention sounds exactly what i went through about 2 years ago. It went away quick just buy getting outside more and stop worrying about well basically the world lol

Sounds like you're out of shape( not fat ), and you need to get outside more. Your vitamin D could be extremely low as well, get outside and get some fresh air, sun helps.

After reading this, let me share something. Um about 2 years ago, i was worrying about someone i was helping trying to get clean from drugs, also i wasn't getting enough sleep, staying up way past 20 hours sometimes, plus i was worrying too much, stressed out, one day i went to sleep and woke up about 7pm, down the street a neighbor we all now a 19 old kid died, i even heard his mother screaming. Can you imagine waking up to that, under all the stress i was having? Soon as i got of bed, my heart was racing and i felt scared, i was having a serious panic attack. It went away about 2 days later after praying and not being frightened about anything.

It pretty much sounds like you need to find something to do fun in your life, something to keep you entertain, get way more fresh air, more sleep, more sun, play some fun games, and just enjoy life.

Well i just felt regret, but my faith helps me with that so i have an understanding about it. sorry about your fried also.

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Yup, worrying can cause alot of problems. Once he stops worrying about all the stuff he is worrying about , he should be alright. :)

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm worried about my heart and my condition, cause it's pretty bad but i never was depressed about my bad condition.
    I would be out of breath by just taking the stairs up.

I will be doing small walks in front of my house with the dog for about 10-15min a day for 2 weeks or longer depends if my health improves.

Used to worry about my financial state, but that's being resolved so i should have money next month.

I actually didn't wanted to take the medicine, alot of people seem happy with them after a few weeks.
    Even my mom takes similar medicine and she never had any issues with them for years.

But i hope to live on without pills when i'm completely fine and stop worrying about this stuff.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Do you actually have a heart condition that has been diagnosed? Thought you had it checked and it was fine?

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yes it is fine, the thing is, i keep panicking when i feel my heart rate going fast and makes me dizzy/heavy and i get a very scary feeling through my body. (probably the panic attack taking over)

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's exactly what it is, and when the panic attack starts your heart rate jumps up because you get an adrenaline rush from the scare of the panic attack

That's why it's important to control them the second they start, allow that initial shock feeling and immediately start controlling your breathing, your heart will race for a few seconds, you might get a hot flush and that dizzy feeling, but stick with the breathing and within 10 seconds you're back in control

Just keep reminding yourself it's psychological not physical no matter what you think you can feel in your chest

After a while it becomes second nature to take back control and you don't really think about it, they get shorter and shorter until it's not much more than a deep breath

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    That's what i'm doing yea when i lay in bed and if it gets out of control i'll just sit down and do the breathing technique.
    Sometimes i do it wrong cause i'm in panic.

And thank you for replying all the time, it also makes me feel at ease to know that nothing is wrong with me.
    Talking about it even with a stranger feels nice. :)

What i felt this morning was pretty scary, very scary, i have no idea if the new medicine did it but probably.
    Having the feeling you're slowly dying and your heart rate is slowly going to a stop, that really made me scared to death.

It keeps me thinking that this isn't just in my head and something is wrong with me while there isn't.

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Also again, probably need to get out the house more as well and just say busy and let the sun shine on you. Chilled back fix yourself a nice sandwich and watch some cooking shows, always keeps me entertain lol . and find yourself a nice woman to hang out with. I'm married, my wife is by my side all the time. Married 9 years, friends for 13 years.

All the best though. :)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

The brain can be very convincing, panic attacks especially, and because of you're starting to freak out, heart rate going up, hyperventilating, then you do cause a physical effect, each fuelling the other, hands tingling, going dizzy etc, the trick is to keep reminding yourself there is nothing wrong with you physically and it will pass

Yea talking about stuff helps loads, even if no-one replies just putting it down on paper so to speak can do wonders too, gets it out of your head and somewhere you can organise it with words

I find 9/10 times if I get stuck with a PC issue I can't solve, I`ll make a thread here, and 5 seconds after hitting post I've solved it

Certain it's just the writing it down that does it, same thing with stuff you're going through

Maybe that's why girls keep diaries :D

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I just had my first normal sleep, woke up and felt my heartrate going at a normal rate,
    Took a oxazepam before i went to bed, it seemed to help alot after waking up.
    Maybe side effects kicked in last night as i didn't took a oxazepam before going to bed.

I didn't felt heavy and slow, only my mouth a little like i'm on drugs lol.

Though i didn't sleep for very long, 5 hours at most but i didn't felt like staying in bed at all.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's a good start though, there's plenty of times I wished I got a full 5 hours

And no panic feeling is the main thing, the sleep will sort itself out in time, once you know you can relax at night you'll probably find yourself sleeping better because you're not worrying about panicking any more

Schwarzenegger said 6 hours sleep was plenty, he hated wasting the day apparently so still had 18 hours to lift and work

My doctors told me (not sure if it was just to convince me) that more intelligent people require less sleep

Sounds a bit of a 'Yea right' thing now, but at the time it helped me relax and walk around with a big head for a while :D

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I must be caveman stupid then lol. :D

My absolute minimum is 7 hours, I'm wrecked with anything less. My ideal is 8-9 hours. I slept way less before I started working out properly. In my good ol' WoW days of 2005-2010 I was like 130KG heavy, ate all **** you can imagine and barely slept more than 4-5 hours. I was a zombie, well, a fat zombie. :p

BTW signex, how is your caffeine tolerance? Did you try laying off caffeine for a while to see if it helps? I'm super intolerant to caffeine, both natural and in supplement form. I do get literal panic attacks whenever I drink a energy drink or a pre workout supplement with tons of caffeine. I almost fainted once in the gym from this, good thing it was just a tester and I didn't buy a whole bottle.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    One cup of coffee in the evening, and two in the morning nothing more.

I used to drink energy drinks during the weekends, 6 cans a week but never really did anything to me and sleeping was no issue even though it always took 45min to an hour before i fall asleep.

I'm not too concerned about how long i sleep, i felt fine the whole day.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Had a weird episode again this morning, my heartbeat was slow again, felt like 50bpm maybe 2x following with a faster beat.

Reading about it only, it doesn't seem to do harm but feels scary nonetheless.

So it wasn't in my mind after all as i felt the slow beats in my ear i checked my polse and it was going very very slow.

Should i see the doctor right away?

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D lol, I feel OK after 6 hours only, as long as it was a full uninterrupted deep sleep, but I get tired much earlier than if I get 8~ hours, after an good 8 hours sleep I'm still wanting to party at 11pm, the gf telling me to shutup and stop doing little dances :D

Yea I went through a few years stage of pigging out and letting myself go, was 105kg~ eating takeouts and crap most days, no exercise, 7-8 biscuits with my morning coffee etc

Since I stopped all that and started walking and lifting I'm down to 90Kg and have exchanged fat for muscle, feel 100x better in myself and sleep a load better too