Nintendo Switch Most Sought video game brand for the past 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    People are sure willing to spend a lot on Zelda. Most people I know who bought a Switch bought exclusively for Zelda Breath of the Wild and nothing else. $360 USD without taxes, not including a controller which last I saw was $70 USD.

All the reviewers are raving about what an amazing game BotW is, but I'm not willing to buy a console just for one game. Especially when that one game runs at 20-30 fps (double vsync) at 900p when docked and 720p when mobile. Source is Digital Foundry.

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i saw the digital foundry video as well, the docked mode is very worrying... i hear on mobile mode it runs constant 30fps at 720p but isn't a good case for the life span of the console... this time next year we might see 20-25fps games at 540p? just to make things look "pretty".

I see none or very few muti-platform releases being put onto the console, basically just a WiiU version 2... which is a shame too the idea of a hybrid console sounds amazing in theory... maybe the tech just isn't there yet?

Anyone know if intel/amd APU's/integrated graphics are stronger than this tegra?

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    After seeing my brother playing zelda all I can say is it looks like $hit and the game costs 80$ what a ripoff for the console and the game

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Canadian prices. $80 + 13% tax for big company games. Only Microsoft comes to mind that charges (or at least to) the same amount of dollars from both Canadians and Americans, as in charge less than Americans due to the lower Canadian dollar. I bought Killer Instinct Supreme Edition for the same amount in CAD that they were charging Americans in USD. They charge based on region, so places like India would get much cheaper price.

Steam also charge based on region (and have region locks for that reason), but Canada is exempt from it, what we pay on Steam ends up being more or less the same thing as the American prices.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
  7. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    The difference between the Wii U and Switch version seems to be some AA and contrast.

That said, as a Wii U owner I couldn't possibly justify to buy a Switch for a single game when it is a cross-platform release.

As someone that doesn't own a Wii (U) it might've made sense to jump onto the Switch train. For mobile gaming I'd still much prefer my 3DS though.

Anyhow, the issue the early adopters seem to be plagued are partially quite worrying though and while BotW is by no means a bad game I'd say it's also unwarranted that it gets 10/10 everywhere. It's a beautiful game/world - particularly for children - as expected of Nintendo but inevitably it, too, would have to be measured with the likes of Dark Souls and more so perhaps Witcher 3 - both of which, at least as adult, outclass the game by miles in their respective strengths (combat / story / world).

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can't say for the Switch version, but the Wii U version has some frame rate problems. I more think it's because of data streaming from the disk and it can't keep up for how big the world is, or it cannot cache the 3gb of data fast enough on the NAND, or just too much for the GPU pushing at the resolution it's pushing at some points.

But I get it for a few reasons. Main one is Zelda, the new Nintendo thing that isn't a Wii and has some launch titles, and for a new consoles that came out in 2017 and also can do mobile for $300, that's pretty good pricing.

Now what I can say, $60 is a little high for these games. $50 would probably be a good price point...But even then $50 is too much for any game imo.

9. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Just like with the Wii, once the honeymoon is over, this will be old news.

Thanks for the tip justdoge!

They should force game vendors to start producing cartridges again. This way they are forced to sell you an actual functioning final product or they go by the wayside.

Everyone is so accepting of launch errors these days. You don't deserve systems and games full of errors when paying hundreds of dollars for them.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  10. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Guys, the switch is a ****ing tablet. Talk about the pros and cons of that all you want, but if you expected like a GTX 1080 in the dock you were insane.

It's running on a tablet SoC. Your whining about the graphics strikes me as totally pointless. Why were none of you complaining about the graphics in Link Between Worlds?

11. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    The graphics are bad even by Nintendo standards. You'd think that whatever they used to cell shade everything and obscure details would have made it perform better than it does. Having a AAA title with regular FPS drops into the teens is pretty weak. I tend to blame the game more than the hardware, though. Mario Kart and Arms look far more representative of what the system is capable of.

The Switch's main issue is that it's a money pit. By the time you purchase the system, a pro controller, a memory card, and a game you're in the hole for $500. I get that it's uniquely portable, but that's quite a bit when you can get an Xbox One S (that plays UHD Blu-Rays, current games, backward compatible games, and has apps) with Battlefield One for $255.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    we are in today is totally different than back then
    now we have highspeed internet as well saving cost for game vendors, its win-win situations
    there still physical product for games until now because some people still prefer it that way, the feel that u reall own the game
    but most people prefer cheaper + quick digital download

its tablet with tv-mode capable...
    on tv-mode the graphic is pretty standard, if we compare to standard generation game console
    which the current standard most people want at least 1080p@60fps, as we getting to 4k soon

on tablet-mode for playing like heavy graphic like zelda, the battery only last like 3hours? some might say enough, but for me its just to short...
    i read that for simple game it last up to 6hours? well that should last for any games not just for simple game.
    also battery degrade fast, it wont be long until the device only last/playable for 1hour per-charge on tablet mode

indeed making hybrid things is not easy, and hybrid as sales point feels kinda lacking
    personally i dont have any critics about switch, nor whine anything about it, its okay product to me
    but switch seems lacking something that wii or DS family as example have that makes those really great device

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Wii still continued to sell for awhile though, and had a lot of content made for it.

But this is still a different situation. The Switch is different as far as markets go.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    All i ever see is negatively in this forum anymore.

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Well its completely justified here.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except, that it's not at all.

Everything here so far is a bunch of people complaining about absolutely nothing, with only a sliver of reason on one of the topics.

Too expensive? STFU and deal with it, don't buy it until a good deal comes out, otherwise wtf are you even doing complaining on a forum? Accomplishment? None. Better yet, you go make a system exactly like this, EXACTLY LIKE THIS system for cheaper. Do it, or STFU.

Tech is bad? wtf are you even on to think the tech is bad in this? Do you even understand where performance is at in this size of a device? This is likely the most powerful device that is this small currently, and will be for quite some time.

Graphics are bad? there is nothing bad about the graphics here unless you're disappointed it's not "Battlefield Zelda: Who knew realistic environments with tanks and jets could be so fun in zelda - edition". Not only that but people were praising the games looks before the game released, and now people are saying it looks bad? Stop trolling.

Not to the same "performance" as xbox one and ps4? I mean really, do we need a 3rd system with similar performance that does exactly the same thing as the other two with no innovation? Why? Why do you want this? I'm not saying i agree with this tablet idea, but why would i want the exact same thing the others are giving me when i already have them?

The only thing i have seen that is even remotely fair, is the performance on the switch. That being said, this game is a Wii-U Game that was ported over to the switch and the Wii-u and switch have vastly different ways they work, so i'm not surprised that it does run the game better, but at a higher resolution, AAA, and some other minor stuff it's about the same performance. But again, if you were logical about it, which seems to be a difficult thing for people to do, you'd be waiting on a full fledge, made-only-for-switch game, to judge the performance out of.

Lastly, when it comes to performance in the end, that's the developers job to make sure it runs well. Now, in this case that is nintendo, but that's not the hardwares fault still, so why hound the switch? The game could run at 1080p and 60fps, even 4k and 60fps, but then it wouldn't look anywhere near the same, so it's a trade off. The hardware does not dictate at what resolution and FPS a game runs at, the developers of the game decide if they want a better-looking game with lower resolution, lower FPS, or both, or a not-as-good-looking game with higher resolution, higher fps, or both.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Switch is pretty cool... you can download games strait to it, for it's size I think the graphics are pretty darn good, it's essentially a little tablet.

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Was talking with someone at work about this and you are right, that was the single reason why he bought it.

Honestly I don't get it.. I have a feeling people will buy the unit, finish Zelda, play a couple other games and in a year from now it will be sitting collecting dust.

:wanker:

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Holy crap dude, RELAX.