AMD CEO: Better Gaming performance Ryzen CPUs with patches

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Sorry sverek but that´s not what i´m asking. I know that dual cores are insuficcient for games. My question is how many cores do games need? 4? 6? 8? The more, the better??? Is there a limit to how many cpu cores we need or not? This are my questions?

Thanks.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's wrong actually. All modern engines will properly utilize more than eight threads.

Why not? Most games are based in specific engines. Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, whatever Ubisoft is using, and then that's pretty much it. With a bit of work from AMD on the software side, things aren't that bleak. Hell, GCC is an open source project and it supports practically every CPU under the sun. Developers were supporting much different architectures than these, back in the Athlon/P4 days. Ryzen and Core are much more similar.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s funny. I´ve just been in an online support chat from Microsoft where i asked if there was any kind of problem with installing W7 on a Ryzen system with an Asus board and the answer was that there´s no problem because Ryzen is supported on W7, like the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, and should work without any problem. Very different from their official stance...

Well good news from me because i´m considering a 1700.

4. Xionor

Xionor Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560Ti 1GB
    Yea, because Customer Support Chat always know what they're talking about, right...

5. wizyy

wizyy Guest

GPU:
    RX 470 4GB
    If Ryzen performs better on Windows 7, I'm sure AMD would release a driver patch that will allow Windows 7 to even boot on Ryzen. I've read somewhere that someone has managed to boot Windows 7 with Ryzen, but... where are the Windows 7 benchmarks then?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No reputable tech site will test new hardware on ancient OS.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You´re right about that... But Asus Crosshair official web page shows drivers for W7 and alanm also showed that AMD drivers page also lists W7 support.
    Not to mention some guys around the web already showed Ryzen working just fine on W7 and even with better gaming benches than on W10... So it seems it´s possible to use Ryzen with W7.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People should remember the first HT CPUs, the first x86-64 CPUs, the first multi-core CPUs, when other said "an i7 is not for gaming and an i5 would be fine forever!" etc..(same thing we could also say for RAM or for mobile devices..) This kind of performance steps are perfectly natural.

10. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    [​IMG]

Lisa Su please stop, your only making things worse.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The ****!??? Who´s the idiot in front of AMD´s marketing team??? That person is destroying AMD´s amazing effort that created Ryzen!...
    I´m starting to think the guy must be in Intel´s pockets instead...

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Didn't the last chunk of Steam stats show that a huge portion of gamers are using 1440p monitors? I don't even know where to get those stats, the Steam page I just looked at didn't include resolution stats, but last I heard only 34% of Steam users used 1080p and that was a while ago, I think sometime in 2015.

Anyway, I'm just happy that there's competition again. But with their lack of clocks or overclockability I'll just be waiting for AMD's next die shrink and later revisions/updates of Ryzen. I've concluded that I'm too single-thread dependant currently for it to be worthwhile to buy a Ryzen. But I sure as hell don't want to buy anything from Intel again if there is a choice.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think he was saying that because it's speculated the scorpio will be using a ryzen CPU

14. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Patches, patches, something always with patches. Guess their PR team would say anything at this point to salvage their discouraging debut in gaming performance. Failed to live up to its hype in this aspect.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do you even use logic when deciding for yourself? It doesn't seem so.

16. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    Steam single monitor shows than around 93% plays at 1080p and lower while 6% are above that, 1.8% 1440p and 0.70% 4k.

So for those thinking 4k becoming standard just guess it wrong.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ironic...

More so if that's Polaris slide :infinity:

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    wonder what that lucy lu ladys description of over clockers dream is?

19. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I think as the platform matures it will really begin to shine and show its true potential but by then intel will have an answer for it though but atleast they are starting on solid ground with ryzen and it shows it can really perform as good as intel and in some cases better. I can't wait for the ryzen revision cpu's that they might fix some of the issues this version has. Now in my mind Vega has to step up to the plate and hit a homerun cause we need it to.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh yeah it will get better no doubt.
    I am going to check one but in no rush.
    they got hit by spoiled gamer reviews(btw they killed games too)
    a fury x and ryson 3.7 is a good set up i would think it would be as fast as a 4.0 intel 4770/7700