AMD RX 500 series Launch April 4th with three rebrands

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    WOW........MAN I was soooo interested in waiting to see what AMD was going to offer, but now I feel as if there was a slap in the face toward the consumers.

Any one here looking toward a Vanilla GTX TITAN!!!??? I have four all of which are waterblocked with XSPC blocks and back plates. Stock coolers are included and "can" be placed back on for a small fee ($25)....

$275 a card-$300 if you want a stock cooler on it as opposed to the water block. Either way it all comes together with all of the parts required for both coolers. If someone wants two or more I will included the single slot SLI connectors from XSPC.......one will have to buy the other spaced connectors if needed more/further than one card spacing.

These cards still have 6-7 years on the extended 10 year warranty I have purchased. If the buyer is so inclined and would like to still honor the said warranty the card would have to be sent from "my address" and RMA innitiated from myself.....EVGA made it clear that after selling the cards that warranty would be void..... I do not like that answer at all and would do my best to still honor the warranty if someone wasn't a numbscull and destroy the card in a physical way as that is the only way the card would be disqualified from a warranty service.... Just saying...

PM me please if anyone is interested and if there is a place on here I'd like to know where and how to make sure I am in the correct area with my proposition.

2. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    I have an MSI RX-480 GamingX 8g that's been running at 1380/2200 for several months. Power is set to +25%, and fans set to keep the card at 70° or below. After dozens of hours of gaming, I've had no problems. So why is the 580 going to be "better"? I wish AMD would stop doing this. It damages their credibility. Calling this a refresh, and renaming the card the RX-482 wouldn't be so bad, but giving it a whole new series number is nonsense - it borders on false advertising.

3. darkvader75

darkvader75 Member

GPU:
    7900XTX on Water
    Nvidia has a history of rebranding as well. I think this is more for the OEM's then any enthusiast that would know better.

4. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    i wish they went back to the old system: each new generation with new chips like the HD series. The rebrands were in the entry level.
    They are normalizing rebrands in the high mid-range of cards. :bang:
    Who knows maybe there will be a RX590/590X = Fury/FuryX too, why not.

I hope it's just for OEM like HD8xxx was. Came and went unnoticed for the normal consumer.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    AMD is effectively only re-branding 2 GPUs of the 500 series lineup. The 560 has enough differences over the 460 that it hardly counts as a re-brand.

When Nvidia rebrands a handful of GPUs, nobody bats an eye. When AMD does it, everyone loses their minds.

Here's what I don't get - why do you care? For example, if you didn't and had no intention to buy a 480, what's the likelihood you'd have bought a 580 if it were based on Vega or whatever? AMD is still releasing fresh new products, but there's not much of a reason to do an entirely new lineup. There's a pretty good chance Nvidia will do rebrands for the 2000 series too. It should be safe to assume that Vega will not have the same performance-per-watt boost that Pascal had over Maxwell.

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Ahhhh! looks like I will flash my Devil 480 to a RX 580 with a 10Mhz (LOL!!!!) faster clock. But hey if it can ride again then why not?

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not true, people were all over Nvidia when they rebranded the 88xx series.

No one is really "losing their mind" here, but any Nvidia fans who are are probably doing it because of the above.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    1080Ti is a rebrand refresh of Titan XP. sorry needs to go both ways...

9. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I was hoping they would have released an RX 460 revision with unlocked shaders, because if I'm not mistaken, you have to go through a really round-about method of installing drivers for any hacked RX 460.

Is there any hope for getting proper support for a shader-hacked RX 460?

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It really isn't, and even if it was the 1080ti is nearly half the price and likely faster than Titan XP.

580 will be as fast as a 480 and probably be the same price.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Easiest way I can think of is to flash a 560 bios onto it to make think it's legit

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB

8800GT-9800GT-GTS 250 yea I remeber thet foolery

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    So a cut-down card that's being sold at half the price is a rebrand. TIL.
    Some of you should start using your heads. It's not the first time I've seen this drivel. By this stupid logic, the Radeon 470 is rebranded from a Radeon 480.

Yeah as much as the likes of me hate it, it has advantages both for the company and for the consumers.
    For one, lower costs can bring the prices down (or drive the profits up, pick your poison).
    The good thing for both is the easier driver support. AMD fanboys can Finewine the Radeon cards as much as they like but the reality is that having rebrands from 3 generations ago made that feasible; not some special effort from AMD. But this was a major win for the customers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well Nvidia hasnt't rebranded a GPU since the 700 series GTX 680 = GTX 770. While AMD has done it a number of times. That is why some AMD fans lose their minds.

Plus to me with a rebranded card the only benefit I see is improved overclocking if possible. Maybe this rebrand isnt a bad Idea especially with the Rx480 issues that happened at that card's launch. Maybe by rebranding it into a 580 it could fix the power issues that killed some mobos.

Never knew that. So the old GTS 250 that I owned when I first bought my Core 2 rig was an improved 9800gt. Interesting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The number 4s also being changed, to a 5. :p

Wonder if they'll re-do all the packaging, or just whack stickers on the boxes (like they did for the 4GB/8GB), be a whole lot cheaper :D

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    They had a die shrink to 55nm.
    8800GT was 65nm, 9800GT late launch some were 55nm and 250 GTS was all 55