Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That doesn't change my point... "clocked similarly" doesn't imply highest common denominator must be achieved. That aside:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-processors-reach-5-ghz-on-air.html
    Granted, that was theorized rather than offical. RAM is hardly keeping up to what it should be, so until that's fixed, I don't think there'll be too much overclocking headroom, for now.

Yes, some were like that, most weren't. Far Cry Primal, The Division, Deus Ex, and Dishonored 2 didn't seem to be GPU limited and Ryzen's performance was adequate. Still should've been better, but wasn't bad by any means considering the room for patches.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Right now yes, what we don't know atm. is what it gives to the games in question when they get their code optimized to take advantage when SMT is enabled on it.
    If AMD can't pull it of fast enough with several game developers they might just do a price dump.
    The main problem could be that Intel has been sitting on it way to long, fine for Intel, but not ideal for neither developers nor end users.
    On the other hand it could also be that AMD did not do their homework properly before the launch, since they would have every benefit from launching the CPU without any SMT issue.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The review gives me the impression that there is indeed some kind of platform issue with some games. The supposed increase in performance by disabling SMT seems to be an issue with the Windows driver too. Hopefully all of these seem to be fixable problems.

I hope that Hilbert will update the review as new bios versions roll out.

EDIT: I just saw Lisa Su's comment on the Reddit AMA, I honestly suspect the Windows scheduler to be the culprit here, possibly in combination with some bios setting. We'll see.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ryzen doesn't perform well in TW: Warhammer, from all the reviews I've seen, it's well behind Intel.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's funny how this launch reminds me of another one of their high end graphics launches: drastically new architecture requiring software/driver/optimization love to maximize its performance potential. AMD have almost literally given birth to this CPU. It must be a load of their minds just to get it out there and make some money. Base performance seems fine...future games also need to run at 30 fps on those wimpy low clocked consoles cores, this can hit 4Ghz and has SMT that should kick in at some point this year. Hopefully when more true DX12 titles arrive...or when the DX12 that MS promised actually arrives LOL

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There's this:

[​IMG]

Seems like either the Windows scheduler is wonking out, or a driver issue.

7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Yes, that's why I said it would be wise to wait for the NEW benchmark for Warhammer that is Ryzen optimized. AMD already said it's coming. That way, people will know that it's just a matter of optimization... which is going to suck for devs.

Right now Ryzen SMT seems to suck when playing Intel optimized games. It's not clear whether it's an issue that is solved truly game code or Zen 2.

8. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    everyone has to remember that intel has years behind there cpus/HT,Amd just started and from there FX line i say thats one hell of a nice jump,every review ive seen has had sum problems with ram.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I can see a lot of us have high hopes for multithreaded games in the future, which is great.

However, the trend seems to go against it due to the additional latencies involved when using "many" cores. It's not just games that are affected. Music creation is also affected, which is why most music daws are multithreaded, but, the effects/sounds vst etc usually aren't and if they are, they won't use more than 2 cores due to the additional latency making them unsuitable for live/recording use.

Ultimately, Ryzen is no exception and for programmers; latency management will be crucial to utilising (or not) the extra cores available. Highly responsive games will certainly use a relatively "low" number of cores. To overcome this, they would have to find a way of utilising the cores, without affecting playability. Certain genres like RTS are perhaps less latency critical than other genres like fps for example.

10. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    So 1800X, 1700X and 1700 all clock to around 4ghz and perform exactly the same clock v clock. Why would anyone buy a 1800X/1700X???

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I wouldn't. I would get the 1700, and cover the price difference with the best mobo/ram I could get.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Let's hope so, since the 1700 even lacks behind my old gen CPU in 1080p game tests.
    Interesting to see that the 1700 stock is faster than 1700X and 1800X in quite a few games, even more interesting to see it outperform them when all 3 are overclocked.

13. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Maybe some dude at the factory mixed up the bins in the wrong order...

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You could say the same about most unlocked CPUs throughout the years. It seems as long as there are memory and SMT issues that need to be addressed, the overclocking potential is limited. That isn't to say they're directly related, but the software/firmware associated with these CPUs seems like late-stage beta.

The higher ranked parts are binned parts, so they have the potential to go higher. Apparently 5.2GHz has been achieved, so I'm sure better overclocking for everyday people (using air coolers) is around the corner.

15. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
    One thing I did notice is that all the games I have looked at so far -- which is considerably more than the four shown here -- were smooth on the Ryzen processors. GTA 5 for example plays really well on the Core i7-7700K, but every now and then a small stutter can be noticed, while the 1800X runs as smooth as silk, sans stuttering from what I observed.
    I found a similar situation when testing Battlefield 1. Performance was smooth with the Ryzen processors while every now and then the quad-core 7700K had a small hiccup. These were rare but it was something I didn't notice when using the 1800X and 1700X. But as smooth as the experience was, it doesn't change the fact that gamers running a high refresh rate monitor may be better served by a higher clocked Core i7-6700K or 7700K.
    While the gaming results might not be as strong as we had hoped for, they are highly competitive and that should hold particularly true for the Ryzen 5 and 3 series. It's also worth noting that we are testing extreme gaming performance here with the Titan XP at 1080p. Ryzen looks more competitive at 1440p, and certainly so when paired with a GTX 1070 or Fury X.

source: techspot's review

What do you think of this comment guys?

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd take less performance if it was completely stutter free.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That is also where good single core performance shines, it would be impossible to live record the last single tracks with virtual everything except the instrument if what one plays can be heard with ms enough delay for it to matter .
    Harder than playing Rocksmith 2014 without aligning the sample frequencies of input and output.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i do not really get the comments about the ryzen loosing from the 7700 on games ....so do the intel 8 and 10 core chips because they clock lower than the 7700 so where is the surprise there ? all around what i see from this cpu is that amd is back on the consideration when you are making a new build when was the last time you could say that the last 4 years ? i am saying 4 because i believe 3-4 years ago the 6300 was an excellent budget cpu ! and also looks like the r3 and r5 chips will be a good hit i suspect most of these benchmarks will result on even higher performance if they clock higher and since in general lower cores allow you for higher clocks i am highly optimistic that those chips will be much better overclock

19. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It looks like my 5960x epeen just lost an inch and a half... I don't understand some people... At this point you have to really hate your money if you'd buy anything but an amd CPU even for gaming. I mean seriously... We are talking about the difference of 5fps when the gpu is NOT the bottleneck and at this point we're in the 100s of fps as it is. Isn't more likely that in the future, you'll be far more bottlenecked with a 7700k that merely has 60% of the performance at best? It is incomprehensible....

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This sounds completely normal. If the game is using all the cores of a quad, more cores will allow more room for the system to breathe and not task CPUs used for the game, to inevitable tasks needed from the system.

Yeah, me too. But I wonder how they can show that in a review, except with writing this kind of piece.