First Ryzen 7 1700X Review finds its way onto the web

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mrbull3tproof

mrbull3tproof Guest

GPU:
    r9 390
    So basically when go to benchmarks Ryzen is pretty good but still quite worse in games. With the price 319 GBP in UK for 7700k or 4770k (290 GBP) there's no reason to go for more expensive 1700X (390 GBP). So much for the hype.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wonder why Bioshock did so poorly. Most of the other results don't really surprise me, when you consider the 1700X is dual channel while the Intel systems are triple.

@mrbull3tproof
    There are hardly any games out there that can take advantage of 16 threads. Most hardly can take advantage of 8. So yeah, the 1700X is a poor choice for gamers, but I already knew that before seeing benchmarks for it.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The website is down here.

EDIT: People are disappointed because the CPU is slower than all the archaic sh*t they tested? The only title with any meaningful difference for Intel was Bioshock Infinite which is using a modified Unreal Engine 3.0. Even in Firestrike 2013 (a four year old title), the 1700x wrecks everything from Intel except the ten-core CPU.

I'm waiting for Hilbert's tests which I actually do know will be much more all around.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

5. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    From Iran? Aren't they under all kinds of blockades and embargoes?

6. JustinBulty

JustinBulty Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    check twice its back!

7. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Threads. Future proofing. Also mothersboards are cheaper.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Shahrsakhtafzar is actually one of the largest websites in Iran, they quite an open western style and feel.

9. sempron guy

sempron guy Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX-470 RS XXX
    I think it's important to note the ram paired is running only at 2133mhz. And sure why note compare it with a 7700k/6700k which we all know will exceed it and the 6950x out of all the broadwell-e processor on the line-up.:banana:

10. semitope

semitope Guest

GPU:
    iGPU
    I am a gamer and the 1700x is worth it for me. Why? because its significantly faster as a CPU. gamers extract files, install games, compress files, record video, convert videos. stream, browse tons of tabs, run games while other things are in the background etc etc. getting a 7700k for a few fps more when nearly everything else that is demanding would be much faster on the 1700 or 1700x isn't best choice imo.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I stopped caring when I saw the resolutions used: 1366x768? 1600x900?
    If these are valid, they're are hard at work making the processor look bad versus Intel. It's obvious that with lower clocks vs Intel they'll perform worse, but 16 threads aren't meant just for gaming...

Dude, do you game on a 1366x768 resolution monitor? Quite worse by how much: 1 to 10 fps? Shut up!

And not biased.

Finally someone intelligent.
    A CPU is not made for games, it's made for processing things you do.

12. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I do not know what you smoke man but it ain't good for you:)! Look at the benchies again and again and maybe will "come down to you"!

13. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Dat memory latency tho o_O , is that a bug ? or memory controler still needs some working

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Higher ram @ 3000-3200MHz would definitely help by those cpu directx api bound games..

Looks like a bug, it doesn't read NB frequency either. I remember the same by Haswell rls..

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    They should put accent on comparing same amount of 8 cores from Intel and AMD. Also shall not damage if HH will do a value/performance clasification of processors tested.

Btw the link IS DOWN!

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, it runs slower than all the Intel CPUs, the 7700k is up to 4.5ghz. Though the 4770k is only 3.9ghz by default.

The RAM speed difference, dunno, not really that relevant for overall performance I'd imagine.

17. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Look at that score on CPU-Z! :banana:

Matches single thread with the 7700K and the mutlithreaded is double it , Ryzen has double the cores yes but that 7700K is at @ 4.5

INTEL You Scumbags! , you could have been giving us this for years! :mad2:

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Games care more about clock speeds than number of threads, as these benchmarks have clearly shown. Most of the outperforming intels have fewer threads but are clocked higher.

But let's look at each of the things you mentioned:
    * Compressing or decompressing files - not necessary during gameplay
    * Record video - you only need 1 extra thread for that, and GPUs nowadays do most of the work
    * Convert videos - not necessary during gameplay
    * Stream videos - also only needs 1 extra thread
    * Browse tons of tabs - not necessary during gameplay. Also, how many websites do you browse where most of your tabs become taxing on their designated CPU thread?
    * Running other background tasks - If you're a serious gamer to the point that whatever you record/stream is even worth looking at to others, you shouldn't be running things in the background that could affect your performance in the game. You don't see race car drivers with a TV playing in the background. You don't see football players with headphones on. You don't see professional cyclists towing a trailer behind them. If you're just listening to music, you only need 1 extra thread for that.

That being said, if you are streaming, recording, playing music, and maybe updating something in the background, you only need 4 extra cores for that. And even then, whatever you are streaming to could do the recording, and your music source likely takes up a negligible amount of CPU cycles. The 6c/12 thread models would be plenty sufficient for your needs.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'd like to see Ryzen in true dog scenarios.
    Going against cpu pigs, ie:

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    • Flying sims, DCS
    • ARMA2/3, DayZ
    • WoW raiding
    • Nvidia PhysX

I couldn't care less about ideal gaming cases with model Multithreading.
    For those kind of games you can keep your i5-760.

What I am concerned with gaming wise is, what's the worst case scenario.
    Is Zen's IPC good enough to plow through pig code, or I am still better off with Intel.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Let down.

I'll wait for more reviews.