Unreal Engine 4 2017 Features Trailer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Epic Games wants to remind developers how great the Unreal Engine is with their latest video, which serves to showcase all of the new features game makers will be able to play around with in 2017. ...

Unreal Engine 4 2017 Features Trailer

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    When will they die off already, eh?

I hate Unreal Engine. If I liked "plastic" worlds (where everything is made ouf of plastic), I would have liked Unreal Engine, but in modern days it is just awful.

The only thing that I like about it is "water".

3. Surahi

Surahi Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 Zotac 4gb
    well i am a UE user and i am kinda excited to see just how UE is gonna be in the future. hope other game development studios also support UE like Epic. even Rocksteady studio used this engine for the batman arkham series games.

4. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Not everyone is interested in "real world" graphics. I love the fantasy aspect that the Unreal Engine provides.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Unreal Engine is a fantastic engine i've the pleasure to work on. It's trully fantastic, love it.

6. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Keep seeing a lot of UE but still missing the games that takes full advantage of it. Show for me it is all showoff and have nothing to do with gaming as we know it today.

7. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Yh, gief games that fully uses UE4.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What does "full advantage" mean?

The engine is in constant development. Even if a AAA studio started when it launched (4 years ago) their games would be shipping around now.. which is why things like Kingdom Hearts, GoW4, Hellblade are all finally being wrapped up/shipped. But most studios aren't going to switch to a brand new engine, they have workflows built around either older versions of UE or different engines entirely. It sometimes takes a few years to switch.

Regardless, some of the best looking/most optimized titles I've played recently were on UE4. GoW4, Abzu, Fractured Space and Obduction all not only look incredible but run extremely well.

Paragon looks extremely good too but I hate that game.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Looking forward to GTR3 and when RR3 goes over to this engine later on.

10. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Die? Do you realize how many games use Unreal? would be a lot less games out there if this engine didn't exists...

11. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Just shows how much you know.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You confuse the engine with the games. The game is truly excellent.

13. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Cool. And how much is that?
    And how did you learn that?

No, I am not confusing anything. I didn't mention a single game out there. Games are good. But the Engine, which they use, is awful. Any game on UE will be much better graphics wise in different Engine.
    And my comments about "plastic" is still true, for some reason almost anything (or a very VERY large portion) in UE looks like made out of plastic. In any game. Or demo video. You don't need to go far - just check the video in article. Plastic.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think Unreal Tournament looks great. Does this look like plastic to you?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I've the plastic thing repeated multiple times - but it's just the default specular values on UE materials. You can easily change it and make it look less plastic or not plastic at all. There are tons of UE games that don't look plastic.

It's like saying the Bugatti Veryon is bad because you don't like the color of the particular model you saw. Just pick a different color.. boom solved.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You are confusing default values to the whole engine. I bet you haven't even played with the editor for fun once.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  17. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Typical hater that hates for no reason and makes up bs to back up their position.

18. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    What UE games would look better in another engine? In your opinion, what is a good engine? and why? Other than some games running on UE with models looking to plastic or shiny, I dont see how this defaults it as a crap engine..

19. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    guys, no need to jump down dremors throat. hes just remembering when UE3 came out & every character was covered in that weird shiny film because nobody configured the specular maps at anywhere near a realistic level i guess?

UE4 is an amazingly capable engine & the new UT is incredibly well optimized...im excited to see wat levels of visual fidelity can come from a dedicated dev team on a AAA product (as opposed to the part-time work epic has put in to UT...wat amounts to a community-sourced project)

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Clips below show some existing and some upcoming games made with UE4

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017