Intel is Trying to Manipulate AMD Ryzen Launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Indeed, this is borderline clickbait. No facts, no evidence, everything based on anonymous third parties. The funniest part is that even the claims themselves say that there was nothing unusual, which makes the headline here even more absurd.

Why not come out and claim Intel is buying the whole stock of Ryzen while we are doing unsubstantiated stories? That way we can already make a conspiracy about possible stock issues...

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    C'mon HH you're better than this.
    This is another clickbait article.

You made one because a random guy commented asking about that because NV had posted a review guideline a while ago?

I really don't get it.
    You were supposed to destroy the clickbait websites not join them!

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Furthermore, this whole "panic" nonsense is ridiculous. Intel ships over 100 million chips a quarter, with an extrapolated 6.7 million of those server chips with an ASP of around $550 each.

But somehow, a projected launch of a million chips in Q2 is sending Intel into a panic....

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I find your avatar appropriate to this quote.

But it isn't that clickbaity - Intel is notorious for pulling this crap. Why do you think the Pentium 4 did so great when it was really a pretty crappy CPU? Why do you think we don't see any more Cyrix chips (even if branded under the companies that bought them out)? Why do you think Apple switched to Intel despite alternatives (keep in mind, they were switching from a RISC architecture so retaining binary compatibility and availability of instruction sets didn't matter) or the potential of the hacking community? Why do you think Nvidia based their Tegra series on ARM? Why do you think the Arduino Galileo exists?

These are all results of Intel trying to push out the competition. Seeing as leaked benchmarks are consistently favoring AMD, Intel does not want to lose their reputation to a company that is maybe 5% their size. Intel doesn't care if people buy AMD products. Intel doesn't care if AMD has a better value product. What they care about is losing the performance crown.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

5. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Shame on you, dear Intel-igent hardware producer. Instead of bullying your customers, press etc., you should concentrate on ADVANCING your technologies in order to REALLY upgrade their performances, not just refurbishing existing ones. Either that, or consider changing your name to, say, Mintel ("we proudly offer CPUs, used, but looking almost like new ones, mint condition")....

6. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    [​IMG]

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They did panic before, reacted like villains, and were judged guilty of crimes in Europe and the USA. Once a coward, always a coward.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That was from 2005.

You don't create an article "Intel is Trying to Manipulate AMD Ryzen Launch"
    without proof.

And sourcing the dumba$$ from semiaccurate, who is known to pull lies out of his ass to get more traffic to his site, is even more of a reason to not make this post.
    He even questioned the authenticity of his own doing yet still made the article lol.

Obviously if this were proven true, by all means it's fair and people should know about it.
    But given the above reasons making a post like this without a reputable source is just unprofessional IMO.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Did you even read what he wrote? He first says that it's from SemiAccurate, so take it with huge grains of salt, but he then said he contacted people in other press sites himself, and that the news seem to have some actual merit. The article is literally original content.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Many of the shady things I mentioned were later than 2005.

Punctuation is important - the article title is a question, not a statement. So no, proof isn't needed because it isn't declaring anything.

The problem is there's not much of a way to prove this. If Intel managed to bribe people to use their specified tests, the reviewers would be under an NDA. Intel likely pays close attention to which websites are more honest than others. Guru3D has repeatedly said [relatively] negative things against Intel in the past and has been hyping up Ryzen for a while, so Intel probably never even attempted to approach them.

So if anything is to be proven, that just leaves a handful of review sites where Intel made a request where their request was denied, and, the reviewer decided to report on it. I don't think that's bound to come up often.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If they are doing this, my guess is they want reviewers to highlight specific comparisons on specific benchmarks. I mentioned this before - but there are most likely going to be a number of workloads/single threaded scenarios where the higher clocked i7-7700K is going to outperform the x1800. I imagine that they want reviewers to look at that, highlight - then remind people that the 7700K is $150 cheaper than the x1800.

That plus things like AVX2 benchmarks, where Ryzen has half the number of registers - or server workloads where large datasets are being moved through the CPU (Ryzen only has 2 address generators per core where as Skylake+ has 3).

Most of it doesn't matter for gaming but if if reviewers really emphasis single threaded workloads and areas where Ryzen is weak, it can definitely skew public perception of the processor - which is kind of ****ty considering most of those things won't effect Ryzen's target audience.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Did you read it? lol

" Also some other press apparently received that email. "

That is not a definite they did.

Definition of apparently is looks like.

So if they did, he would have shown that. Because we all know semi-accurate is not a source.

Why would Intel send an email like that to a known sh1t website that is making articles bashing them all of the time?

Secondly,why would intel send these emails to this 'other' sites.
    None of the review websites that actually have a user base have said anything about it.

Sending emails to review websites with such a small viewer base makes zero sense.
    So if you piece this together, it frankly doesn't add up.

The question isn't if Intel has done shady things in the past, it's where not they send review guidelines.
    Which they never have.

The fact is, none of these big companies have a clean history without bad practices.

Actually just scroll up here and look, no punctuation in the title :)

Just no.

There are many big review sites that are unbiased and would not take crap like that from intel.

Do you think HH would gladly take a check from Intel to say/do things that make intel look better than AMD?

Definitely not.
    Neither would the other legit websites.

Intel is not going to waste time sending those to no-name review sites either because 1.) they don't have enough people reading them for it to matter and 2.) there are the legit websites that would prove these "biased" no-name reviewers wrong.

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Would love to say this isn't true but Intel have done it a number of times in the past already with the the original AMD Athlon slotA, the AMD Athlon 64 so i wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

Not hard either of course Intel will want reviewers reviewing the R7 1700 to focus on single threaded performance against their i7 7700k since that processor has a huge frequency advantage, as for the i7 6900k vs R7 1800x benchmarks and applications that make heavy use of Intel's instruction set.

*** edit noticed the guy above said the same thing ***

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah sure, let me make an exception. I look and sound ridiculous in videos though hence I never do these.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The hardware companies can try whatever they want but as long as we have sites like guru, I couldn't care less.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Bringing up the shady things they did in the past suggests that sending review guidelines is a possibility.

Also, you REALLY need to do some research before making crazy claims. For example:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2842...le-claims-it-fudged-pentium-4-benchmarks.html
    Yes, there is. Look harder:
    http://imgur.com/JLvLn4I

Depends on who you're referring to. Sites like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech are known to be pretty big and "legit", but have also been known to skew graphs. And again, Intel isn't likely to ask "favors" of sites known to not accept bribes.

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD apparently values Guru3D more than other review sites :D

19. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Awesome HH! Thank you! :)

20. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Nice, they gave you the ASUS model. It's apparently random.

I hope you can reach 4.5Ghz!