Intel is Dropping Processor Prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    As far as I know this is not an official price cut from Intel, it's only a store cut and it's Microcenter...which they tend to do so I have the impression that this news is somewhat sensational... I mean of course an official price cut will eventually happen but I don't think this is it. Beside, those price cuts aren't very impressive, Ryzen is still better value.

2. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    AMD Ryzen has some strange things on L2 L3 cache level. AMD benching better result than everybody else. Hilbert may interested to check these things. (use Aida64 Zip and similar programs). Even Aida64 author has confirmed these things. I got AMD so don't attack me.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I would like to confirm that several french retailer are also cutting prices on Intel, all i7 and i5 are at least -14% cut on the 2 major retailer

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    While I give Intel an A for effort by reducing the prices of their CPUs but if they want to be competitive they need to release 6 and 8 core CPUs to the mainstream market at affordable prices.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Good point.

Geek sites like this one lose track of what users out there actually use. Same goes with the 4K adoption, etc.

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Getting anxious for the review! Really rooting for AMD.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That doesn't matter at all. What matters is that in order to make a console game, your engine needs to be able to scale well with a minimum of 7 cores. All the rest is just PC optimization, which is mostly taking advantage of the fact that PC CPUs are generally much faster per core than the console ones, and compensating this way. But since fast serial performance is never really equal to actual parallelism, you get phenomena like people with Skylake i5s getting stuttering in Battlefield 1.

There is no game written for less than eight threads, I assure you. Even the engine made by Obsidian for Pillars of Eternity, and used in the new Torment game, will have to scale properly so that it can be used in a console.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Using Steam hardware survey doesn't provide accurate results. Not every gamer is using Steam. The only reason I have a Steam account, is because it was the only way to get TL2 on Linux. Most of my games are through Origin....

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Zen's L3 is a dump cache - it's only used when stuff gets evicted from L2. With Intel the L3 cache always and only includes all the L2/L1 caches. Both methods have different advantages with different workloads - but either way it will lead to differences in benchmark results.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I quite curious on how the core complexes are interconnected compared to Intel's.

11. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    One thing is mostly sure...is that 4 cores 8 threads Ryzen will probably clock at 4.6ghz+ on air, competing directly with 7700k in single thread performance, at lower price. Also even tho I plan to buy a 1700x, I'll probably tweak it to turbo at 4.5ghz+ at 4 cores.

Of course if you don't need 8 cores ever, a Ryzen 7 CPU might need be good value, a Ryzen 3 with SMT (4C/8T) will be enough. TBH if you plan to buy a 7700k, I would at least wait for Ryzen 3.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Prices haven't changed here.:puke2:
    6600k is still the same price as when I bought it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    That's odd...it is stutter free for me.:3eyes:

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    lol.